Hungry Dog

Hazz

I've been trying to 'slim' my wei down after being told she's overweight, I've since decreased her food for dinner (only 1 and 1/2 cups) and dropped her from Supercoat Energy to just Supercoat Adult (lowered protein and fat %).

I'm not sure about putting her on a lite/diet food as on most of the packs they say 'for an overweight less active dog' and she's definately active with obedience training/agility/lots of runs etc etc.

I usually give with some beef strips with her biscuits which have reduced to just a couple (I can't really get rid of this altogether as the other doggies get this).

I've tried mixing in carrot to 'fill' her up which she doesn't seem too keen on and is starting to steal some food from other bowls :vomit: which isn't helping.

Is there any other things that I can put in her food to fill her up without adding any Kilojoules ?

I've also attached a couple of of pictures to see what you think about her weight atm.

post-22-1114476184.jpg

Is there any other things that I can put in her food to fill her up without adding any Kilojoules ?

I've also attached a couple of of pictures to see what you think about her weight atm.

I don't think she looks all that thick, but you would know what weight is best for her.

Folks here mix canned green beans or pumpkin pie filling into food to help a dog lose weight. They fill up the dog but do not add lbs.

Your grey girlie is lovely, btw. :vomit:

Some ideas:

White tripe can be useful to add to the diet (replace some of the other things) for a short while. You can feed it cooked or raw - the raw if she will eat it will give her something to chew on and make her feel like she has actually eaten something rather than her dinner being 'gobbled and gone'. My preference is always for raw If cooking (boiling) beware because it STINKS. You can add garlic to the cooked stuff too if you wish as an added enticement.

Cut the fat off the beef for her if it has any. Feed in large chunks rather than small pieces so she has to chew more and it takes her longer to eat. Longer eating time = more satisfaction.

Feed some of her meal 'on the bone'. For example, a large chunk of beef backbone with a bit of meat on it (backbone is leaner than brisket or neck etc) that takes her a while to chew off will be roughly equivalent in calories to the same amount of meat fed off the bone but will result in more energy being expended to eat it.

Make a light broth with pureed veggies and lean stock. Make it quite watery/soupy and use warm water. This will help make her feel full without adding too many calories.

Thanks for the replies guys.

mersonmalinois - I didn't think she was that thick either until people kept telling me she was pudgy. Hmm pumpkin pie filling, does it come in a can ? I might try that along with some beans.

btw: thankyou I think she's pretty too although she was not happy about standing still for the photo hence the camped under stance - she wanted to play :fetch:

espinay2 - I have no idea what White tripe is or where to get it, I have been feeding her the more meaty strips but will take more care now with the amount of fat left on. With the broth do you mix it with the dry food and is there a certain time limit to drink/eat it in if it is mixed (ie. can it make the biscuits go rancid ?)

Koza - It was just grated carrot, but I will have to try mixing vegies with broth by the sounds of it to make it more tempting.

Is it ok to use a human stock cube to make the broth ? - you know the ones that just dissolve in warm water.

Edited by Hazz

Thanks for the replies guys.

mersonmalinois - I didn't think she was that thick either until people kept telling me she was pudgy. Hmm pumpkin pie filling, does it come in a can ? I might try that along with some beans.

btw: thankyou I think she's pretty too although she was not happy about standing still for the photo hence the camped under stance - she wanted to play  :fetch:

Yes, the pumpkin pie filling comes in a can. Be sure to get the type that isn't already spiced up with nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. Should be in the baking section or canned veggies/fruits aisle.

Good luck! :vomit:

Edited by mersonmalinois

my collie is prone to weight gain, so she gets a heavy serve of steamed pumpkin, carrot and sweet potato. My weim will also eat this happily, we started it for his digestion issues in fact, but the first couple of times he needed a little honey mixed in to sweeten the taste. I also feed vets-all-natural which is a hydrated grain mix this is mixed with meat when feeding, it seems to fill them up even though the portion doesnt look much, and i just reduce the meat proportion for the collie.

i found it hard to get non-sweetened pumpkin in a can, but guess it depends where you live.

White Tripe is basically cows stomach that has been cleaned and 'sanitised'. You get it from the butchers or sometimes from Woolies etc although even butchers dont have it all the time now. When I was growing up we used to eat it cooked with onion, parsley and white sauce <vbg>. When you cook it (boil it) though it can smell like very old dirty socks <phew!> :vomit: There is nothing much other than protein and water in white tripe but it is quite filling and a way to 'bulk up' a meal without adding too many calories. When it is uncooked it looks like a big piece of offwhite rubber (and is actually quite rubbery in consistency). Some pieces will have a honeycomb effect on the surface. White tripe BTW is not to be confused with Green Tripe which is basically fresh cows stomach with all the 'bits' still in it. now that REALLY stinks LOL! But it is VERY good for dogs and they adore it. Unfortunately it is very hard to get as meat places are not allowed to sell it.

You could mix the broth with dry food if you wished. If you did that I personally wouldn't leave it more than overnight before I threw out any uneaten. But then if she didnt eat it all, I probably wouldn't worry as she can't really be that hungry if she turns some of it down (my own dogs will self-fast on occasion though so I am never worried about the odd part missed meal if they are otherwise healthy).

With the veggies, pureeing them in a blender, food processor or juicer (add the pulp back into the juice) is better than grating if you can.

The stock cubes should be ok, but watch the fat and salt content - try and get ones low in these if you can.

there was a post a while ago about how to measure your dogs weight.. can't find it now but it had three 'tests' I think?

One was to feel the ribs - you should be able to feel them when running your hand over the side (without digging for them), but not see them.

Then there was something about some other bone that should be felt but not seen, and something else.. a pinch test I think?

For my dog, a basenji which has a somewhat similar build to a weim (although smaller) my breeder tells me that the part between where his ribs end and his hips start, when seen from the side, should look 'a little hollow' and that when he sits, his chest should look 'defined'. Also, the flesh on the bottom of his chest should 'not be flabby or jiggle'.

Okay, this is all terribly vague, so I will stop being unhelpful now :vomit:

Yes, the pumpkin pie filling comes in a can. Be sure to get the type that isn't already spiced up with nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. Should be in the baking section or canned veggies/fruits aisle.

Good luck! :)

It might come in a can but you'll be hard pressed to find it in our supermarkets , I had a friend in the US send me a can to make a Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving , and it was oh soooooo yummy !

Just cooked pumpkin will do , better still if you know somewhere to get cheap whole pumpkins as they store well in a dark place .

mmmmmmm, feel like pumpkin scones now :vomit:

If you wanna know what white tripe looks like... try the pieces of "crab" in Crab Salad - its also known as "seafood extender".

Nothing but flavoured, coloured tripe. :D :vomit::) :D

Your kidding.........right ?

I'll never eat that carp again :rofl::)

I have found also feeding my dogs in the morning....it helps them metabolise it better and they can use the energy all day by running around like loonies! I have labs, and they are very very prone to weight gain... Since moving out of home I have fed them in the morning and Gus has gone from 32.4kg to 29kg, I haven't changed his diet one bit!!!

Give that a go...it worked for my dogs!

Guest Tiggy

She does look overweight. She needs to get some shape back. I got my dog to lose a few kilos by cutting out table scraps, tidbits and only giving him training treats so he works for them. He's on a BARF diet except he likes his vegies cooked. I make him the Barf patties a few times a week with 250g mince, either turkey, lamb or chicken and he gets 500g-750g bones on the other days. He's a black lab x rotty and weighs 41kg. I use the Campbells ready made chicken stock to flavour his vegies, this one's natural. I also cut out chews with artificial colours, flavours and preservitives because these are like candy for dogs. He only gets the Nature's Gift rawhide chew bones, usually 2 a week. I find mashed sweet potato is good for filling him up.

If you wanna know what white tripe looks like... try the pieces of "crab" in Crab Salad - its also known as "seafood extender".

Nothing but flavoured, coloured tripe.  :D    :vomit:  :)  :D

Your kidding.........right ?

I'll never eat that carp again :rofl::)

Our imitation crab meat is made with some sort of whitefish, maybe cod. No tripe in our blend (thank God!).