Pigs Head ... Good Or Bad?

Hi :) I came across a full pigs head cut in half at my local butcher today. Thought, what a great treat for my dog (mastiff x) as it would be very much like eating the way her wild family do. However, I've been told by a follow raw feeder that these are way too fatty and can cause problems with the dogs pancreas (sp?) Is this right? Has anyone else heard of this? I did do a search in the forum and found that other raw feeders have fed pig heads, and even found some photos of dogs really enjoying it, but I now have this concern. My girl is approx. 2 1/2 yrs old, and my guess is a mastiff x, but she is only 28kgs. She is a foster dog, thru my local shelter, and she has had such a rough trot with Hip Dysplasia, that I really don't want to risk putting her thru anymore problems. All opinions welcome, but if the majority say best not to feed it to her, then I will have a pigs head to find something else to do with!!! (would most likely bin it, and it seems a waste!)

Thanks in advance :)

I used to feed pigs heads a fair bit and never had a problem - but! if your dog has never had pork before start with something a lot smaller. If he's never had something quite fatty before then also start smaller. Yes a large fatty meal can cause pancreas problems if the dog is suspectible, but many dogs will never have this problem so you need to know he can tolerate fat and tolerate pork before trying out the pigs head. Mine would polish the lot off (1/4 heads each, 15-16 kg Staffords) and just leave the teeth - always a fun find in the morning LOL

Edited by Sandra777

Hi Sandra777. Thanks for your reply. She has had pork trotters before, but not many, maybe 3 in the whole year that I have had her. So, is there any chance that I could actually cut the head down in smaller pieces maybe to just give a smaller portion (1/4) so that it doesn't effect her in one big hit? And then I can wait a fortnight, see how it affects her and then if all good, give her another smaller portion? I would just hate to throw this out now, even if it was only $6 lol

I have given my 13kg terrier mix half pigs heads before, she just eats and gnaws until she is content and then I put it in a plastic bag and into the freezer so she can have the rest a week or two later.