What Raw Bones Can I Feed

Hi everyone

I would like to offer my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy (5 months old) some raw bones but unsure which would be suitable for a smaller breed of dog. I am thinking raw chicken necks but unsure what else as I dont want to damage her teeth. She is a very petite CKCS.

Can anyone offer advice?

post-51391-0-23968100-1403664779_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to say...

I used to have a Pug but he recently died from cancer... I used to feed him raw chicken wings and lamb shanks (cut in half) on the weekends. He had a homemade diet during the week.

There has been some disagreement as to whether to feed weight-bearing bones, like lamb shanks, but I feel confident that my Pugs would never break the actual bone or even attempt to eat it.

Thank you for the info and so sorry for your loss :(

I feed my medium sized dog lamb shanks and havent had a problem but my puppy did have a cracked tooth, suspected from chewing the lamb shank (she did get into the bone, which really surprised me ... I thought she would only eat the meat).

I will also try the chicken wings, thank you

Chicken necks, turkey necks, chicken carcasses, chicken wing tips, marrow bones cut in half then into quarters (4 pcs) beef neck bones cut into smaller pieces, lamb off cuts, beef off cuts, little bit of chicken giblets

I have a papillon

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Edited by JessicaM

No worries and thank you :)

Sorry to hear about your girls' tooth. My Pug had really tiny, stumpy teeth. There's no way he could have eaten the bone :laugh:

Pug teeth... Look how small they are! They crack me up! :)

teeth.jpg

Gosh !!! I have never seen a Pugs teeth. They are so tiny. It's a wonder they can chew through anything. Amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

I only feed softer bones like wings and necks. I wouldn't feed Susanne as they are weight bearing and the risk is that a tooth will crack. Lambs necks chopped into noisettes are also a great option for small dogs.