Can Dogs Have Distilled Water?

For years I bought bottled water for me and Grover and I have only just realised that it is distilled. It is the Moore's Ultra Pure brand. I thought it was springwater, and I'm not sure if dogs should have distilled water... I remember once reading somewhere that they need the minerals in the springwater. I have asked around other dog owners I know and gotten a mixed response.

eta

I might change to springwater just in case.

Edited by Queen Maeby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some googling and this is what I found...

Whole Dog Journal suggests that distilled water can possibly be helpful in preventing crystals recurring in dogs who are prone to them.

But I also found articles that say that distilled water is harmful because it leeches minerals from the body... That sounds a bit far fetched.

Maybe I will ask my vet.

distilled water ? Why would you , unless there is a very badly compromised immune system or something ?

Sorry, I didn't see your post :)

I thought it was springwater. It is lovely and tastes nothing like the distilled water I've had before, which was kind of weird-tasting.

I don't drink tap water and either do my dogs.

Edited by Queen Maeby

distilled water has no minerals , which is why it may be a useful adjunct for dogs/cats prone to having problems with crystals . I would not advise it for humans or growing animals because of the total lack of mineral content ....

distilled water has no minerals , which is why it may be a useful adjunct for dogs/cats prone to having problems with crystals . I would not advise it for humans or growing animals because of the total lack of mineral content ....

Yes, I agree. I will buy springwater from now on.

Thank you :)

Edited by Queen Maeby

maeby - why not buy a water filter instead :) ? The high price of "processed and packaged' water is mostly because of the making of plastics etc .. :(

Under sink water filters can be an excellent investment ... They can take out chlorine /taste ..fluoride... the jugs/containers with a removable filter also work well, AFAIK . :)

just found this -LINK

I know several people using filters - some undersink, some a ceramic urn, and some a jug ... ... they are all different in the water quantities produced ... but all save a fortune in plastic bottles/containers!

Edited by persephone

I had a water filter but I could never get the pressure right, and it kept coming off the tap, and this annoyed me so much that I started buying bottled water.

I'm renting so I don't think I'll bother with an under the sink filter, but that is something I would consider in my own home.

Thanks for the link. I have added it to my favourites :)

Edited by Queen Maeby

Melbourne has some of the best tap water in the world.

I'd not bother to use bottled water for a dog (or for myself at home in Canberra). Half the time what you are getting is not better than tap quality anyway.

Up to you but I can think of better things to spend my money on.

I'd not bother to use bottled water for a dog (or for myself at home in Canberra). Half the time what you are getting is not better than tap quality anyway.

Agree. :) I cringe at the thought of the hundreds of extra plastic bottles /casks being put back into the system by a person doing this .....

I was given one of these http://www.durand.com.au/ for Christmas. It is great, I use it everyday. Althou7gh as a rule the Melbourne water is pretty good I was finding more and more it had a distinct chlorine smell and taste. Although the under sink type was an option to be considered I find this one has advantages.

:) it also keeps water cool - friends have one on their bench .

I think it's because I lived in Adelaide, and London, and the tap water there was awful. My parents and I have been buying bottled water ever since.

Doesn't tap water have fluoride and other nasty stuff like bacteria in it?

Our tap water is pretty shite so we have a filter jug that we fill and keep in the fridge. The dogs get tap water and filtered water, just depends on who fills it and how much of a rush were in :laugh: when we were closer to Melbourne we and the dogs drank the tap water.

Doesn't tap water have fluoride and other nasty stuff like bacteria in it?

Depends on whether you think fluoride is "nasty". It's certainly done wonders for the teeth of generations of kids. You can always just get a Brita filter jug.