How Much Water

I now have four old and elderly toy breed dogs. I have a bowl of water in the kitchen which holds a litre of water. There is another on the deck, but as you can imagine,during,these colder days, the bowl in the kitchen is the favoured one :).

The bowl of water in the kitchen is usually emptied by the end of the day and sometimes earlier while the bowl on the deck might not be touched.

Does that sound a lot? If all the dogs were drinking equally which I imagine would not be the case that means a cup of water each per day and maybe more if any drink from the bowl on the deck.

Just interested in opinions.

It doesn't sound noticeably high to me, but I am trying to extrapolate from my big dogs. I pay more attention to sudden changes in drinking patterns rather than overall amount I guess.

DD it doesn't sound high to me either. Raw fed dogs also get moisture from their food as well as direct drinking so overall seem to drink less water from bowls.

My biggest problem is making sure Mr Mac actually remembers to drink!! His dementia means he seems to forget so i give him water with his main meal of meat and veg at night and some honey water every now and then to 'top him up'. smile.gif

Thanks for responses.

I understand, Westimum. I tend to warm up Gussy Cat's food with hot water to ensure she gets enough water. She is getting VERY brave though and I have seen her on a few occasions drinking from the dogs' bowl, generally late at night.

The vet always ask s about drinking habits (animals' not mine :D ), so I am aware to take notice.

I have a 1.5 litre bowl in the kitchen and Zig will empty that each day.

He won't drink the from the one on the back deck because it makes him vomit if the water is too cold.

Yet the loon will swim in the clam shell in minus temps..

55 to 110 millilitres per kilogram of body weight.

So for my dogs it would be between 2 and 4 liters of water a day.

I have 3 dogs so it would mean I should have roughly a 10L bucket emptied a day.

My dogs drink nowhere near that!

I feed only natural diet and my dogs have never ever drunk that much water as a norm. Not even in summer.

55 to 110 millilitres per kilogram of body weight.

So for my dogs it would be between 2 and 4 liters of water a day.

I have 3 dogs so it would mean I should have roughly a 10L bucket emptied a day.

My dogs drink nowhere near that!

I feed only natural diet and my dogs have never ever drunk that much water as a norm. Not even in summer.

When I calculated at the higher end, it did seem quite alarmingly excessive, but working on a 4 kg dog and 55 mls, it was about right.

Mine dont seem to drink that either,

I have the cavs, 8kg, 8.5kg and 10kg, and two water bowls that they drink out of. One on the front verandah that is the main drinking bowl after going walking, its just over 1L, and I have a little one in the bathroom that probably holds 2 cups?

Its actually for the cats, but they all drink out of it..

Between the 3 dogs and 3 cats the little bowl is emptied every 2 days, and the large one is never emptied, it gets dirty before it gets empty, so i empty about half out of it into the pot plants about once a week :)

They are fed raw with some biscuits occasionally if we have won any, and the cats are fed canned and biscuits.

The only issue if they're all sharing the bowl, is whether you've got one who has increased their intake - will you be able to notice it? Or will it be masked by four dogs all drinking together. NB mine all share a bowl as well, and I keep an eye on it, but it does concern me so I try to keep a check on who goes to the bowl when and how often to establish 'normal' so if one does up their water intake through incdreased trips to the water I'll notice.