Is There A Market For Whelping Boxs?

GermanShepherd1

Hello,

This is my first time posting so I am not really sure what I am doing... I did want this in the breeders section but I don't know how... anyway...

I am looking to make a heated whelping box for my german shepherd bitch when she gives birth early next year (if all goes to plan)

I want to tweak the photo attached but you get the idea of what I am going for roughly

I want the box to be:

- raised off the ground (at least the heated part with the blue blanket)

- removable safety rails

- dual heating (on the blue bit)

- made from a light but strong plastic

- be put together and taken apart by one person so it can be stored but a sturdy design.

- have an attachable play pen with clear plastic at the front so the puppies can see out when they start walking.

etc etc all the normal things you want in a whelping box.

Basically I want to know would you buy one of these for your bitch? why yes, why no?

How much would you expect to pay?

I am making this for myself but would love to know if there is a market for this king of box because personally these was none on the market that I felt were hygienic enough, heated and practical for me to put together and take apart alone...

If there is anything you would love to see in a whelping box, I would love to hear.

post-52670-0-27112200-1410496660_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

I love your idea and may be very interested (also planning a litter next year and are in the market for a whelping box anyway)

Unfortunately we are flat out packing to head away for a show so don't have time to comment right now, but will look again and get back upon our return :)

looks interesting - good work!

but remember - a nice warm heated bed for babies if often too warm ,(and can be distressing/uncomfortable) for a bitch. Unless the weather is freezing ..I prefer a lidded "nest" with well insulated floor, so the bitch's body warmth stays in ..and puppies spend their energy climbing to /staying with their mum , and feeding .

It's a nice idea but no. I've also got GSDs and to be large enough to fit both the bed and playpen part you'd have trouble fitting it in a room!

I also like the puppies to be able to get well away from the bed part to toilet once they're up and about, to start early toilet training habits - I don't think this can be achieved in the conjoined idea

Edited by ish

Okay thanks guys, great responses... I think what I am seeing is a need for "options" an option for a hood, an option for a gate on the play pen, an option for clear walls or white if desired. I think I would really like it to be a made to order type thing if it was possible.. because from what I have read on many different posts everyone wants something different.. I see what your saying too "Ish" large is great but fitting it somewhere can be a problem.. I guess that's where practicality comes into it..

The floor I am really keen on getting something that the temperature can be manually changed and dual so the bitches side can be off she she doesn't overheat..

Keep the ideas coming please! And prices... what would you pay for a whelping box that was custom made, is there another company out there that does it?

Everyone does things differently so it would be really difficult to have enough options to suit everyone. All the GSD breeders I've personally spoken to about heated boxes felt the bitches got too hot and didn't use them. I found that having high sides on the box meant the bitch felt happier (cave like) and I can cover it with a blanket to keep the cold air out (I use a heat lamp above it or heat the room) The door on this box however is a pain so that will be changed next time

304866_10151127881520572_843234117_n_zps87938e3d.jpg

Keep in mind newborn puppies fit in the box easily

563515_10151101371100572_1899839530_n_zps1654adee.jpg

but the same space (same vet bed as fits in the box above) doesn't go far when they're older

383191_10151225145695572_438455457_n_zps6f8a77f7.jpg

25876_408953985571_7177975_n_zps5872d9b7.jpg