Horses At The Dog Park/beach?

Steph M

Off topic but I just wanted to say, riding a horse in the water, or galloping along a beach are some of the funnest things to do in the world. I'll probably never get to do either again in this lifetime, but I'm glad I've experienced them.

And even better when it's your own horse.

Oh yes Kirislin, they were the days. Such treasured memories.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need to use dog parks because I live on a farm, but even when I walk my own dogs in the paddock I stay alert for hazards and temptations, and I practise calling my dogs to me then releasing them to play. I also keep the dogs well away from our horse, even though she is quite placid. I have seen or heard of too many incidents with dogs and horses.

My father bought a filly from a border collie breeder who let her dogs round up the horses. The filly had been soured by the experience and, half a century later, I still remember the horror of seeing her charge across the paddock to trample and kill two puppies that had strayed within her reach.

For many years, a good friend stabled her horse in her back yard overnight then walked him up the street to graze on a vacant block during the day. She took her dogs with her every time, until the day when the younger dog started a fight with the older one, right under the nose of the horse she was leading.

A family friend was riding his horse on his own very large property when a traveller let her dog out of her car. The dog took off after the horse and the rider was thrown. He became a paraplegic.

So... IMO horses and riders should be safe in dog parks, but riding there may not be a wise choice.

Not a horse, but a donkey. Tibbie & a donkey meet on a beach and make friends. Little dog is a bit nervous at first, but donkey soon wins it over. From northern Europe, where the donkey gives children rides on the beach:

http://www.vielskerh...sig_i_et_aesel/

A lot of donkeys are dog killers. They don't use them as livestock guardians for nothing.

Not a horse, but a donkey. Tibbie & a donkey meet on a beach and make friends. Little dog is a bit nervous at first, but donkey soon wins it over. From northern Europe, where the donkey gives children rides on the beach:

http://www.vielskerh...sig_i_et_aesel/

A lot of donkeys are dog killers. They don't use them as livestock guardians for nothing.

Yes. Relatives on a hobby farm own a couple of donkeys for that purpose.

This donkey appears to be highly socialized, given its 'work' on a public beach. The owner, off-camera, seems to know well what it will tolerate. But, in the latter section of the video, the emboldened little dog goes looking & sniffing around the donkey's back legs & underbelly. My heart was in my mouth when I first saw that!

Edited by mita

I will never forget the first time my silly high drive dog saw the police horses in training at Moore Park. Not what I'd expected to come across & she bolted over & started barking at them. Took me a bit to reach her & get her under control (she was in the zone :( ) & meantime I copped a bollocking from the policewoman in charge. :(

Sure it was a fair call, but I was seriously surprised to come across them so I was unprepared, like I would be in the country!!

I would have thought it would be good practice for the police horses, they are supposed to be unflappable, your dogs might have shown up a weakness with the horses that they need more training with.

Yes, the horses seemed unphased but she was still pretty pissed off that I didn't have good enough recall over my dog. I did see her point, but unfortunately there are a few things that get my nut bag dog in full bolt/drive- I knew horses were one (skywriting is another!!) but I honestly didn't expect to see any in a city off lead park!! She is on a permanent lead when we go to the country for that reason- I don't fancy her getting kicked in the head! I know better now & avoid the park that is enroute from their stables to centennial park- I know I can't trust my dog.

Oh where do you guys live to come across horses all the time? I want to move there!!!! And horses in suburbia?! Bliss! It's waaaayyy too expensive for that here in Sydney (and the number of properties which have enough space are further out in the sticks anyway).

I frequently go to lennox head where there is a dog section and a horse section. People know they only cross if the horse/dog are fine with dogs/horses.

I however never go there. Kokoda is a nut bag when it comes to horses and I think he could easily land himself in trouble.

I have no clue what he'd do given the chance to chase a horse offlead but also dont want to find out.

Just a horse trailer driving past will sent him into a whining, lunging, crazed mess. Its so odd.

The other two have met, and dont give a damn about horses.

We have a horse that walks around our street here in Brissy about once a fortnight, it once came past and was waiting at the traffic lights while we we were across the road at a cafe and Koda tried eating through his lead to get to it!

Thankfully i noticed before he got through it. :mad

I would love to own a horse. I dream :laugh: