For Those With Allergic/food Intolerant Dogs.

trinabean

Guest crazydoglady99

If any of you super people in canberra/queanbeyan and surrounds manage to find a supplier for this brand please let me know. I have phones all the 'stockists' on the company website and non of them sell it, one is no longer even a vet practice so very old info.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whole Sorghum, Australian Kangaroo, Australian Duck, Kangaroo Digest, Omega MagicTM Essential Oil Blend, FOS (Fructo-Oligo-Saccharides), Yeast Extracts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins A D3 E K3 B1 B2 B3 B5 B6 B12, Folic Acid, Biotin, Copper (from Sulphate), Copper Chelate, Zinc (from Sulphate), Zinc Chelate, Manganese (from Oxide), Manganese Chelate, Iron (from Sulphate), Iron Chelate, Selenium, Iodine and Calcium. Product protected by natural mixed tocopherols (Vitamin E) and rosemary extract.

They're simple ingredients which is likely the reason your dog's doing well on it. Normally I don't recommend Natural Balance as all their foods are very grain heavy, and the bulk of the protein in this food will come from the sorghum. Kangaroo digest isn't pleasant either.

Here's a review of Natural Balance Super Premium.

Did you try any fish-based kibbles, grain free?

Edited by Dave-o

[

They're simple ingredients which is likely the reason your dog's doing well on it. Normally I don't recommend Natural Balance as all their foods are very grain heavy, and the bulk of the protein in this food will come from the sorghum. Kangaroo digest isn't pleasant either.

Yes, one was Canidae pure sea (grain free). Oh, the foods that we've tried over the years. Off the top of my head we've also tried:

Royal Canin Hypoallergenic

Holistic Select- anchovy

Ziwipeak -venison (good food but we tried it at a terrible time, there was a risk of cross-reaction with his beef allergy. Dermatologist switched us onto another elimination diet)

Royal Canin- Boxer

Hills-ZD

VAN (Dr Bruce was always very helpful, but we found Bruno was not ok with oats).

Raw diet, various meats tried for about 18 months. I wanted to feed raw dammit!

Various elimination diets: kangaroo and sweet potato, goat and barley, goat and quinoa...

There are more but I won't go on. Please note, I'm not knocking any of these foods, many just didn't work for Bruno (apart from the cooked elimination diets, and one of those caused him to lose an unacceptable amount of weight).

He's a tough case as he has food and environmental triggers, so sometimes it's hard to work out exactly what is causing symptoms. I'd happily give Ziwipeak a go again, just need to wait until winter, when his seasonal allergies settle down.

I just thought I'd share our experience with this food as it's rare that we find anything that works. And that Bruno will willingly eat. :)

[

Yes, one was Canidae pure sea (grain free). Oh, the foods that we've tried over the years. Off the top of my head we've also tried:

Royal Canin Hypoallergenic

Holistic Select- anchovy

Ziwipeak -venison (good food but we tried it at a terrible time, there was a risk of cross-reaction with his beef allergy. Dermatologist switched us onto another elimination diet)

Royal Canin- Boxer

Hills-ZD

VAN (Dr Bruce was always very helpful, but we found Bruno was not ok with oats).

Raw diet, various meats tried for about 18 months. I wanted to feed raw dammit!

Various elimination diets: kangaroo and sweet potato, goat and barley, goat and quinoa...

There are more but I won't go on. Please note, I'm not knocking any of these foods, many just didn't work for Bruno (apart from the cooked elimination diets, and one of those caused him to lose an unacceptable amount of weight).

He's a tough case as he has food and environmental triggers, so sometimes it's hard to work out exactly what is causing symptoms. I'd happily give Ziwipeak a go again, just need to wait until winter, when his seasonal allergies settle down.

I just thought I'd share our experience with this food as it's rare that we find anything that works. And that Bruno will willingly eat. :)

:thumbsup: I think it is excellent that you are having positive results with this food and thank you for sharing your findings. It is definitely one that I will store in the memory banks should the need ever arise :)

Edited by Yonjuro

Can you suggest any fish based dog foods (without chicken, beef or lamb) Dave-o?

Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream... this was the best kibble my dog was on before I switched to raw feeding. :)

Thanks Yonjuro, I'll keep that one in mind for the future. We haven't tried TOTW. :)

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks Yonjuro - I just ordered a small bag of that (taste of the wild) and a small bag of the Canidae pure sea.

Well after all that I'm glad you've finally found a food that suits :thumbsup:

TOTW is a good quality food, you could always give it a try at some point see if he's ok with it. At least for now you've found a food he can eat.

Can you suggest any fish based dog foods (without chicken, beef or lamb) Dave-o?
Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream... this was the best kibble my dog was on before I switched to raw feeding. :)
Thanks Yonjuro, I'll keep that one in mind for the future. We haven't tried TOTW. :)

It sounds like you are onto a winner with the food from this topic, but it is always good to have another on your list should the current food not work out.

Thanks Yonjuro - I just ordered a small bag of that (taste of the wild) and a small bag of the Canidae pure sea.

Great, I never tried the Canidae but from all reports it is a good food and certainly easier to get from most shops. I will look forward to hearing how you go with the TOTW, I really rate it (for what thats worth :D) I know there are a lot of Husky people around the globe that complain that their dogs are very very sensitive and most rate the TOTW Pacific stream as their preferred kibble. I also liked the TOTW Wetlands version, but it does have chicken and chicken liver secondary to duck which would make it unsuitable for some dogs.

Sorry to hijack this thread, maybe someone can start one on TOTW if they wish to talk about it in greater detail :)

Yes Trinabean, it is the kangaroo that was the problem.

What I do like about the Natural Balance is that it has a nice short list of ingredients...... rather than a bit of just about everything but the kitchen sink!!

I have tried two of the Earthborn ones, I think it was the lamb/grain-free and also the fish/grain-free. Neither were any good for my boy. I am not even sure if grains are a problem for him.

He is OK with a bit of tinned fish like tuna, mackerel and sardines. I may still look at trying TOTW and Canidae fish varieties at some point (when I am feeling brave!).

I would dearly love to just feed all raw but bones of any description cause my boy major problems, colitis and often vomiting as well. He does tolerate raw beef well and gets that every day with his dry. I can't just feed him raw beef without some bone content to balance things, he is also very bad at eating any vege's.

Yes Trinabean, it is the kangaroo that was the problem.

What I do like about the Natural Balance is that it has a nice short list of ingredients...... rather than a bit of just about everything but the kitchen sink!!

I have tried two of the Earthborn ones, I think it was the lamb/grain-free and also the fish/grain-free. Neither were any good for my boy. I am not even sure if grains are a problem for him.

He is OK with a bit of tinned fish like tuna, mackerel and sardines. I may still look at trying TOTW and Canidae fish varieties at some point (when I am feeling brave!).

I would dearly love to just feed all raw but bones of any description cause my boy major problems, colitis and often vomiting as well. He does tolerate raw beef well and gets that every day with his dry. I can't just feed him raw beef without some bone content to balance things, he is also very bad at eating any vege's.

You could perhaps try crushing his bone content and adding it to the raw meat and organs to start with. There is a theory that it takes a few weeks before the ph level of the stomach changes to be able to accommodate bones better. So there is a possibility that you may be able to overcome the problems you are facing. Whole fish also has the correct amount of bones, and they are softer and easier to digest. I fed mixed for a long time and never had any problems with bones, but as we all know each dog is different.

I am not saying you should change diet, but there are possibly ways around your particular set of problems. Barf is another suggestion :)

Thanks for your thoughts Yonjuro :) . I have heard that about acid levels too.

Unfortunately the commercially made BARF foods I have looked at have all still contained chicken in some form, usually for adding bone content. I can't imagine these foods containing chicken bone without some accompanying fat and protein attached.

I do use the Frosty Paws Beef and vegetable patties a few times a week and he has been OK with those as long as I don't give him too much.

Thanks for your thoughts Yonjuro :) . I have heard that about acid levels too.

Unfortunately the commercially made BARF foods I have looked at have all still contained chicken in some form, usually for adding bone content. I can't imagine these foods containing chicken bone without some accompanying fat and protein attached.

I do use the Frosty Paws Beef and vegetable patties a few times a week and he has been OK with those as long as I don't give him too much.

Check out Bassendean Pet Food Supplies, I am pretty sure they have made up packs that might suit your particular requirements

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bassendean-Pet-Food-Supplies/156429651165498?fref=nf

So, an update is that Bruno is continuing to do well on the new food. I've gone the whole hog and bought a 15kg bag now, so fingers crossed he continues to be ok on it.

He's possibly less itchy than normal and, for all those that appreciate a fine poo, the output is small and firm. Small, firm poos are almost unheard of here, so I'm cautiously optomistic!

And Animallover99 I sent an email to the Natural Balance office in Fremantle asking about Canberra stockists of the Delicate Care-skin and stomach food. They replied that they had phoned to Northside Veterinary Centre and 'while they don't have room to keep stock they will order it in on request and should also be able to provide a small sample so that your friend can test if the dog likes it.' So maybe give that clinic a call to see if they can get you a sample? The sample I got from my vet was a decent size. I hope this helps. :)

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks Trinabean.

My dog is doing well on TOTW so far, (she's only 6kg so even a 2kg bag lasts a while lol). I will certainly try again to track some Natural Balance down locally.

My dog has numerous food and environmental allergies and we have never been able to find a suitable commercial food for him. Through elimination diets and testing we know that he can't tolerate many ingredients in commercial dog food (chicken, beef, lamb, amongst other things). Much to my dismay, raw is not the answer, and he is even terrible on the so-called 'hypo-allergenic' prescription diets.

I had resigned myself to a lifetime of preparing a prescribed homecooked diet for him, and importing a US supplement to balance it. It's a labour intensive process, made more difficult at the moment as I am juggling family responsibilites in 2 states. Over the years I've wished for a commercially available, suitable food, even just as an emergency back up. My vet gave me a trial pack of a locally made kibble that he felt was worth a try. The main ingredients are Australian sorghum, kangaroo and duck, so not the usual problem ingredients for us.

I'm surprised, and cautiously optomistic, but so far so good. Bonus points too, because my normally disinterested eater (who has always avoided eating kibble) loves it. :)

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has issues with some of the more common dog food ingredients like chicken, beef, lamb, corn or wheat.

Delicate Care-skin or stomach

HI, where do u buy the Natural Balance?? I found this kibble 1 year ago on the net then lost the link, I've been looking & looking for it & now have found it again, I hope its a good sign, my boy also suffers from food sensitivies, causing IBD & Colitis, he cant have potatos, sweet potatoes, wheat & boiled rice, he can have grounded rice in kibbles but not boiled rice, vet said boiled rice can irratate some dogs bowel, have you ever tried the New "Wellness Simple" kibbles & wet tin foods sold at Pet Barn just came to Australia June/August, Wellness Simple is a limited ingredient kibble for dogs with food intolarances, Wellness Simple have 5 different kibbles 2 grainfree...my boy went real well on the Lamb & Oatmeal but the peas gave him real bad wind pains, he did better on the Duck & Oatmeal must of had less peas..its worth a try so u have another food up ur sleeve, the only kibble my boy does real well on is the vet prescription diet "Eukanuba Intestinal" low residue kibble, his scatching stopped & does firm poos & no gas problems...I too wanted another food so he has more variety & just incase I cant get his Eukanuba I have another kibble.. Id love to have about 5 different brand kibbles that he can eat & do rotations with so he has variety foods making his stomach/bowel stronger & doesnt get bored, its good you've food a food but still give the home cooked diet as well so ur boy doesnt get a intolarance to the Natural Balance.. Good-Luck.

So, an update is that Bruno is continuing to do well on the new food. I've gone the whole hog and bought a 15kg bag now, so fingers crossed he continues to be ok on it. He's possibly less itchy than normal and, for all those that appreciate a fine poo, the output is small and firm. Small, firm poos are almost unheard of here, so I'm cautiously optomistic! And Animallover99 I sent an email to the Natural Balance office in Fremantle asking about Canberra stockists of the Delicate Care-skin and stomach food. They replied that they had phoned to Northside Veterinary Centre and 'while they don't have room to keep stock they will order it in on request and should also be able to provide a small sample so that your friend can test if the dog likes it.' So maybe give that clinic a call to see if they can get you a sample? The sample I got from my vet was a decent size. I hope this helps. :)

Thats great that Bruno is doing well on the new food - yeeharr for small firm poo :thumbsup:

Thanks Trinabean. My dog is doing well on TOTW so far, (she's only 6kg so even a 2kg bag lasts a while lol). I will certainly try again to track some Natural Balance down locally.

I am pleased to hear that you are finding the TOTW good. It's probably worth sticking to it for a while before changing :)

I just found where I can purchase Natural Balance, at the vets just up the rd from me, 5 doors up, unbelievable he's not my dogs vet, the only thing Im worried about with the Delicate care Skin the Fiber is 6% max fiber I think my boy doesnt do too well on high fiber diets, how many poos a day is ur boy doing on the Delicate skin....Patch only does 2 poos a day on the Intestinal low residue kibble as its a low fiber diet 1.70% so the bowel doesnt over work...I suppose we'll have to try another kibble, it has no potatoes or peas, so thats a start, just wonder if it digest easy having sorghum in it, I've read that sorghum is hard to digest for dogs with IBD.