For Those With Allergic/food Intolerant Dogs.

trinabean

My dog has numerous food and environmental allergies and we have never been able to find a suitable commercial food for him. Through elimination diets and testing we know that he can't tolerate many ingredients in commercial dog food (chicken, beef, lamb, amongst other things). Much to my dismay, raw is not the answer, and he is even terrible on the so-called 'hypo-allergenic' prescription diets.

I had resigned myself to a lifetime of preparing a prescribed homecooked diet for him, and importing a US supplement to balance it. It's a labour intensive process, made more difficult at the moment as I am juggling family responsibilites in 2 states. Over the years I've wished for a commercially available, suitable food, even just as an emergency back up. My vet gave me a trial pack of a locally made kibble that he felt was worth a try. The main ingredients are Australian sorghum, kangaroo and duck, so not the usual problem ingredients for us.

I'm surprised, and cautiously optomistic, but so far so good. Bonus points too, because my normally disinterested eater (who has always avoided eating kibble) loves it. :)

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has issues with some of the more common dog food ingredients like chicken, beef, lamb, corn or wheat.

Delicate Care-skin or stomach

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crazydoglady99

Wow! When i get my little girls allergies/immune system back under control we will give this a try

Thanks for sharing ????????

Had a quick look at their website trinabean. Like the look of tje sensitive skin variety for my guys as they both have different issues but aren't able to have wheat,soy,corn or grain.

Please keep us posted as to how your boy goes on this product. Will follow with interest :)

Just seeing how you are going with the new diet?

Going well, thanks for asking English.ivy, and I'm surprised as we've never had success with commercial food in the past. I've switched very gradually (10 days) over to the new food as Bruno has a sensitive gut. I'm so happy as he seems to be less itchy than he was on the home-prepared elimination diet, and is doing small, firm poos (this dog has hardly done a solid poo in his life).I know that doesn't sound super exciting, but it has been such a long road for Bruno with frequent bouts of colitis, terrible itchy skin and ears, and a poor appetite. It's so good to see him eating and thriving. He has gained some much needed weight too. smile.gif

Wow! When i get my little girls allergies/immune system back under control we will give this a try

Thanks for sharing ????????

It might be worth a try animallover99. My dog has been on an elimination diet for months before trying this food. My vet noted that many dogs who had been on a novel protein/ novel carb elimination diet beforehand, were able to transition well onto this food. He is skeptical about some of the well known prescription diets that are sold through his clinic (and my dog first became really itchy while on one of the prescription foods, for a gut issue). I wish you well with your girl, it can be a tough journey with allergies and immune system problems.

Had a quick look at their website trinabean. Like the look of tje sensitive skin variety for my guys as they both have different issues but aren't able to have wheat,soy,corn or grain.

Please keep us posted as to how your boy goes on this product. Will follow with interest :)

So far, so good BC Crazy. Finger crossed Bruno continues to do well on it. I'm almost ready to commit to a big bag of it. We're on our 2nd 3kg bag as I'm a pessimist who has learnt from past mistakes (go the bulk pack and you jinx things!) laugh.gifOf course, as Murphy's Law dictates, I discover this food just after spending $100 importing vitamin supplements to balance the home made diet.

So far, so good BC Crazy. Finger crossed Bruno continues to do well on it. I'm almost ready to commit to a big bag of it. We're on our 2nd 3kg bag as I'm a pessimist who has learnt from past mistakes (go the bulk pack and you jinx things!) laugh.gifOf course, as Murphy's Law dictates, I discover this food just after spending $100 importing vitamin supplements to balance the home made diet.

This is such great news,trinabean. You have dedicated so much to making Bruno well! Happiness sure is solid poops.

Sod Murphy's Law.

Paws crossed this is the winner for the boy.

HUGS to you both

:grouphug:

:love:

Trinabean being excited about dog poop seems to be a requirement of this forum (the amount I've learnt about the importance of good poos from DOL is amazing) and it's great to hear your boy is doing so well!

LOL. When you do poop patrol with more than one dog, it becomes very serious.

The neater the deposit, the happier the human. At least that's how I am.

With dogs that have food issues, then it's even better to see their improvement.

:rofl:

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies to this thread. I will come back and reply properly later, but in answer to your questions English.ivy and Juice, I think the 15kg bag was about $130. We tried a free sample bag first, and then a 3kg bag (about $40). So it's much more economical to buy the big bag.

And English.ivy I bought it from Applecross vet hospital, but there seem to be a lot of stockists listed in WA if that's not close to you:

Delicate care - skin and stomach (WA stockists)

Their website has stockists listed for each state too. smile.gif

Edited by trinabean

i can so relate to the poop issue! With one of my dogs our early morning walk and inevitable 'output quality' determines my mood for the day!! Good solid poops is a good day for me .

This food looked great until i saw the ingredients..... my dog is sensitive to chicken, kangaroo and eggs :(. Bugger!! would have loved to spend my money on a locally made food but so far RC Sensitivity is our only option. Have also tried some of the American fished-based ones (think one was Earthborn) but he did not do well on that either.

So many foods that appear to not contain chicken still use "chicken fat". Supposedly they say it is only the protein component that dogs react to but not sure if that is the case with my boy.

Some dogs can be allergic to the protein and fat.

Sounds very interesting Trina, I am going to research done more.

Glad he is having good poops - yes I am one to get excited over good poops - and he is gaining weight and do far doing well.

Guest crazydoglady99

Yes! I have had similar issues with 'animal fats' in some products. It seems only the 'protein' component is hydrolyzed and sure enough we have a big flare up.

Frustrating isn't it.

I get excited about poop too (don't tell any of my non doggie friends hahaha). I'm even happy about finding surprises from my girl (she's 14yrs old) when they are solid rather than a bloody, jelly slush.

There looks to be lots of stockists of the OP product, shouldn't be too hard to get hold of I hope. The price seems reasonable to me, I bet we have all paid a LOT more!

Edited by crazydoglady99

i can so relate to the poop issue! With one of my dogs our early morning walk and inevitable 'output quality' determines my mood for the day!! Good solid poops is a good day for me .

This food looked great until i saw the ingredients..... my dog is sensitive to chicken, kangaroo and eggs :(. Bugger!! would have loved to spend my money on a locally made food but so far RC Sensitivity is our only option. Have also tried some of the American fished-based ones (think one was Earthborn) but he did not do well on that either.

So many foods that appear to not contain chicken still use "chicken fat". Supposedly they say it is only the protein component that dogs react to but not sure if that is the case with my boy.

Hi Seregil, which food type did you look at? I noticed some of their other foods contained 'poultry digest' and lamb (which are both itch-inducing for Bruno) but the skin and stomach range contains none as far as I can see.

The ingredients list for the skin and stomach kibble is:

Whole Sorghum, Australian Kangaroo, Australian Duck, Kangaroo Digest, Omega MagicTM Essential Oil Blend, FOS (Fructo-Oligo-Saccharides), Yeast Extracts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins A D3 E K3 B1 B2 B3 B5 B6 B12, Folic Acid, Biotin, Copper (from Sulphate), Copper Chelate, Zinc (from Sulphate), Zinc Chelate, Manganese (from Oxide), Manganese Chelate, Iron (from Sulphate), Iron Chelate, Selenium, Iodine and Calcium. Product protected by natural mixed tocopherols (Vitamin E) and rosemary extract.

I hope this helps. :)

Eta: Oops, I just re-read your post and kangaroo is a problem for your dog, bummer!