Doggy Gates - Home Made

Ivory & Beau

We used to use two older baby gates to keep the dogs in one section of the house but they were marking the walls and hubby kept tripping over them. So we [well he] made two new half stable doors. They only open one way and are the perfect height so the dogs can see over and the cats can jump them.

This one is painted in a high gloss so dog drool etc can be cleaned off.

They make such a different to the look of the house too. I was thinking of getting a stencil or something and adding a touch of colour to the middle section. Any ideas?

**Please ignore the filthy, patchy walls. We haven't painted in that area yet. **

2014-10-22064755.jpg

2014-10-22064843.jpg

It is latched by a sliding bolt so it is quick and simple to walk through them.

2014-10-22064850.jpg

Edited by english.ivy

Had stable doors like this in a house years ago - it was great. Back to a baby gate now, which a couple of the dogs know how to open, cheeky sods!

We don't have it so tight that you have to use the latch on top in case someone thinks our dogs have grown opposable thumbs LOL

EFS

Edited by Sandra777

Some of these are pretty but doggie paws may scratch them

http://www.ebay.com....nkw=wall+decals

http://www.ebay.com....=item3ccaa6cada

eta also some here, some are pretty awful but others are ok

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xwall+transfers&_nkw=wall+transfers&_sacat=0

Edited by Boronia

Amazingly they are really respectful of being in the house. So those decals would stand up to them!

we have exactly the same problem in our house, although it's more often me that trips over it, and then there's the times that Collie decides to push it over and empty the bin when we're not home (ok that only happened once).

Sooooo, looks like ply wood for the middle bit but what wood did you use for the frame?

When I first moved into this house there was no door on the laundry (which is just off the kitchen) and that's where the dog's slept. Because I was planning on a much bigger reno job when I had the extra money, Dad came up with a half door idea which just slides into place. It also meant more air flow to the laundry, if they needed to come out for a pee I just slid it up a fraction and if I needed to check on them I just had to look over the top. I painted it to match the walls and trim. As my current dogs all sleep on my bed it is no longer used and sits beside the dog cupboard in the laundry. But if I did ever have to contain a dog it is quick to slide back into place.

post-33739-0-99665500-1413941341_thumb.jpg

we have exactly the same problem in our house, although it's more often me that trips over it, and then there's the times that Collie decides to push it over and empty the bin when we're not home (ok that only happened once).

Sooooo, looks like ply wood for the middle bit but what wood did you use for the frame?

Marine Ply in the middle, because we had a huge sheet of it in the carport.

The frame is a cheaper timber that I can't remember the name of. We sandwiched the marine ply between two frames, so both sides are the same.

When I first moved into this house there was no door on the laundry (which is just off the kitchen) and that's where the dog's slept. Because I was planning on a much bigger reno job when I had the extra money, Dad came up with a half door idea which just slides into place. It also meant more air flow to the laundry, if they needed to come out for a pee I just slid it up a fraction and if I needed to check on them I just had to look over the top. I painted it to match the walls and trim. As my current dogs all sleep on my bed it is no longer used and sits beside the dog cupboard in the laundry. But if I did ever have to contain a dog it is quick to slide back into place.

That's really cute. Love the pink hehehe

There was a gate between the lounge & kitchen diner here when I bought the place. Made like picket fencing & varnished. Love it so handy but the dogs have scratched it heaps.

If boys want to get girls they scratch it. If any dog in there wants to come out they scratch it. Given up trying to pretty it up & decided the aged wood look will have to do.