Innotek Dog Collars

Guest afton

Actually I used to read about using an electric collar as a positive feedback ! On a weak setting. I just don't get what's the fuss is about... thousands of dogs don't get simple vet attention, or food, or just any attention... and someone is figthing for the rights of looked-after dogs?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well said Koza... there is so much that is been ignored as it is seen as to hard.

Someone is fussed over my dogs having a stimulation on their neck to keep them in a big shady yards, daily walks, lots of food, warmth and love yet they can close their eyes to horrendous backyard breeding with dogs treated in the most appaling ways.

Hummmmmmmm....

When my Dobermann was younger- she would jump over our 8 foot fence if she felt like wandering. She's never been an only dog.

She was getting 4+ hours of excercise daily, she just liked going for walkies (she would be gone for less than 15 minutes then she'd turn up in our front yard and bang on the front door to be let in). Of course this wasn't desirable so we trained her to stay on a chain attached to her kennel. There was no problem with this and she was quite happy to do this when we couldn't be there to watch her.

She grew out of this at around age 4 (we lived at this hour for maybe 2 years before and she never jumped our old house's fence) and so she was allowed total free-range of theyard etc. But one day, as I was coming home- I was almost landed on by a big black lump. The fence was still 8 foot high. The dog bolted and I followed. What happened next was my dog pulling a dumped kitten from a creek. The kitten survived.

She's only jumped the fence 2 times since- once when a truck crashed outside our house and another when there was a sudden & unexpected Thunder Storm (she's terrified of loud noises).

I don't feel I need a collar/electric fence for her.

Until recently.

In the past 2 months, our fence (our backyard is along the side of our house so the backyard is also on the street) has been kicked in 3 times. All 3 times my Dobe has gotten out. My other dogs are indoor dogs so they haven't escaped but my Dobe is an outdoor dog during the day (her choice- you leave the door open and she will choose her kennel).

We have been seriously considering the electric fence as we rent so can't change the style of fence we have. We don't want to build a run as we have 5 dogs at present and would prefer not to have them seperated.

We can do all we want to fix our fences and boundaries but unfortunately we cannot control what OTHER PEOPLE DO!

We haven't decided yet, however.

We are also getting a no-bark collar from Innotek for our rescue Kelpie. She has an insane barking problem. It's not due to boredom- she's a X breed and not at all hyperactive. She has plenty of toys and 4 other dogs to play with. It's more of a seperation type thing.

She doesn't care what's going on (there could be a whole lamb shank in the yard and she would rather be at the door barking).

Being in a suburban environment and not popular with the council (due to 5 dogs- which we have a permit for), we really can't take the risk of her barking. Plus, she carries on and on for a damn long time. No matter what we do.

So for us, it's either try the collar (have tried the Citronella on her, though we weren't expecting much as it did nothing for our other dog, but all that did was give her a rash and made her foam at the mouth), or rehome her.

I am at home most of the day, but it would be nice to again have the OPTION of being able to go out without having to book her into the boarding kennels or having mum miss out on going out also (mum & I are very close and do alot of things together but it's been hard in the last 4 months becasue smeone has to stay with the dog).

Or I can sometimes take her with me but even that is getting old now. I love my dogs I really do but not being able to go to the shop to buy some milk until mum gets home from work is just not on! What happens if there is an emergency?

We would prefer to try the collar thank you. Especially as she will chase (and I'm guessing kill if given the chance) livestock so cannot be responsibly homed in the country, and I don't know too many suburban areas that welcome barking dogs do you?

We had bought a collar but as we were mislead by the seller, it actually came from Canada and as known they are an illegal import. But they are not Illegal to use in Victoria (Restricted yes but not illegal).

So we are saving up again to buy one directly from a store in Melbourne.

I have felt the pulses myself and they really aren't that bad (to me), the lowest level is hardly anything and the highest not much worse.

Spikes puppy, the hidden fence link that Kit Kat gave me (3rd post) has a barking coller that can be used in conjunction with the fence , worth a read.

in our area there have been sheep maulings and dog shootings so a zappy fence is a lesser evil as far as im concerned. Our dogs stay within our boundries but if we had another that had tendencies to stray i would definately consider the zappy collar as opposed to chaining, a far better option to a bullet or a radiator to the head.

Personally I do not like at all... I would like them to be banned. For those that say they don't hurt I suggest you put it on yourself.

Below is a link to a report with vet report etc of a dog left in backyard with one on it rained and it malfunctioned and it shocked the dog continuously all day til the family returned to find the dog.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/news.apr.may.3.html

Hello Everyone

I am glad to see that Myszka has posted K9 Forces web pages. I recently attended a clinic with Steve and I went knowing nothing about "e-collars". I came away with a great understanding of them and how they work.

I tried these collars on myself and waited for this big zap and laughed when I finally felt something, a small pulsating tingle. As Steve says, " it is like tapping them on the shoulder to say, 'are you listening to me'."

In the wrong hands these collars can be a nasty piece of equipment but so can any piece of training equipment. How many dogs have been presented to vets with neck problem because of check chains, halties or even soft collars for that matter. I have seen 2 dogs that have hung themselves to death by trying to scale a fence and having their soft collar get caught. Personally I would prefer the gentle tingle of an e-collar than a jerk of a check chain on my neck.

I believe we should be informed on what training methods we use with our animals and this is a great place to source some of that information but please don't come here and preach cause what works for some may not work for others and in the end we all love our animals.

MEGAN. Yes that poor dog may have been the victim of a malfunctioning collar and yes, his injuries were terrible, but how many animals are presented in vet surgeries all over Australia with injuries that are far worse after being hit or killed by cars after they have escaped.

AFTON. You asked for people on this forum to give their opinions, their opinions have been given freely and informatively it is up to you what you do with this information that you asked for.

We could argue the pros and cons of e-collars and containments systems till we are blue in the face and still people will disagree with each other, that is just how the world is.

:rolleyes:

Megan, everyone that uses these collars has tried it on themselves. One gets a little tired of people who have not had experience with these collars trying to suggest that people who use them would never put it on themselves. I try it on myself everyday before putting it on my dog to ensure that it is working. It is no big deal...

I tried these collars on myself and waited for this big zap and laughed when I finally felt something, a small pulsating tingle. As Steve says, " it is like tapping them on the shoulder to say, 'are you listening to me'."

In the wrong hands these collars can be a nasty piece of equipment but so can any piece of training equipment.

G'day, Eddy here.

If that's the case then maybe a vibrating collar will do exactly the same job, and if these were used by everyone then there would be no need to worry about "In the wrong hands these collars can be a nasty piece of equipment". Maybe by discussing things with the manufacturing companies well they might provide a vibrating collar that is activated by an invisible fence. Anyway see this forum post:-

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=26092

Hello Everyone

I am glad to see that Myszka has posted K9 Forces web pages. I recently attended a clinic with Steve and I went knowing nothing about "e-collars". I came away with a great understanding of them and how they work.

In the wrong hands these collars can be a nasty piece of equipment but so can any piece of training equipment. How many dogs have been presented to vets with neck problem because of check chains, halties or even soft collars for that matter. I have seen 2 dogs that have hung themselves to death by trying to scale a fence and having their soft collar get caught. Personally I would prefer the gentle tingle of an e-collar than a jerk of a check chain on my neck.

I believe we should be informed on what training methods we use with our animals and this is a great place to source some of that information but please don't come here and preach cause what works for some may not work for others and in the end we all love our animals.

MEGAN. Yes that poor dog may have been the victim of a malfunctioning collar and yes, his injuries were terrible, but how many animals are presented in vet surgeries all over Australia with injuries that are far worse after being hit or killed by cars after they have escaped.

AFTON. You asked for people on this forum to give their opinions, their opinions have been given freely and informatively it is up to you what you do with this information that you asked for.

We could argue the pros and cons of e-collars and containments systems till we are blue in the face and still people will disagree with each other, that is just how the world is.

:rolleyes:

Good Post

I went to the Melbourne seminar today (which was fabulous by the way thanks)

and it certainly got rid of any doubts about all the types of collars.

I also tried the e-collar on my arm and i got to a level 5 before i felt anything it was just a slight tingle which i was very surprised at and if needed i would use one of those on my boy because i now know it doesnt hurt as much as i first thought

Personally I do not like at all... I would like them to be banned. For those that say they don't hurt I suggest you put it on yourself.

Below is a link to a report with vet report etc of a dog left in backyard with one on it rained and it malfunctioned and it shocked the dog continuously all day til the family returned to find the dog.

Megan - As has been said over and over again....WE HAVE USED THE COLLARS ON OURSELVES!!!!!!!! I do realise i am yelling...but it's been said over and over again and some people still seem to 'miss' it.

Any training tool can be misused, occasionally units can malfunction (haltis incorrectly fitted, check chain put on wrong way and catching, flat collar too tight, the list goes on)...but i always keep an eye on my dogs collar to make sure it's all in perfect working order...the checking includes zapping myself

ETA - I also saw all the freaky stories...so i made a point of asking question after question of the supplier in regards to what could set the collar off, what if something happened, what if this what if that...i asked everything i could and checked out everything i could, including speaking to other people who had the system i was looking at. I wanted the safest and best for my dog...and as far as i'm concerned...i got it.

Edited by KitKat

Guest afton

I've tried it on myself!

Sorry but are you a dog? Do us humans have the same skin, sensitivity to the same stimuli as a dog.

So how can you say for certainty that it doesn't hurt them simply because it doesn't hurt you?

I have my opinion and will not use them!

Kind Regards,

Afton

Ok, went to the store today to order the No-Bark collar in. I asked if i could try their 'example' one on myself. They said sure.

So I did. Hardly felt anything. It was definately more of a tingle as a opposed to a zap. Not unlike the vibrating of my mobile phone in my pocket.

While what happened to that dog is horrible- as others have mentioned dogs get sent to the vets every DAY with far more common injuries caused by everyday items (flat collars, check chains, halti's etc). Heck I could cause heaps more damage to my dog through kicking it if I wanted to. What next, ban dog owners from wearing shoes? :rolleyes:

Guest afton

You didn't answer my questions but were quick to throw an insult.

That says a lot :rolleyes:

Kind Regards,

Afton

Sorry but are you a dog? Do us humans have the same skin, sensitivity to the same stimuli as a dog.

So how can you say for certainty that it doesn't hurt them simply because it doesn't hurt you?

G'day, Eddy here.

afton, I think you might have something there as I feel that humans are not dogs and where we maybe different

By the way, I remember reading something somewhere from a Federal Court case involving Innotek, that based on the experimental data a Mr Collins mentioned the pulses of current flowing through the neck of a dog most probably would be in excess of 20 milli-amps, and as a reference the perception for current in humans is around 0.5 milli-amps. So from what Mr Collins mentioned I assume what a human perceives as a static tingle might be most probably perceived by a dog in excess of 40 times that of a human.

So I did. Hardly felt anything. It was definately more of a tingle as a opposed to a zap. Not unlike the vibrating of my mobile phone in my pocket.

G'day, Eddy here

Who knows maybe your doggie might find a vibrating phone somewhat therapeutic after they have had some experience with it, and maybe quite different to an anti-bark collar with an electric element.

By the way, where did you try the collar on your neck as a dog would, but then your not a dog and different parts of the body are more sensitive than others and where resistance and impedance can be different.

You may have good reason to use that collar, but I'm just trying to say that putting these things on your arm, leg, or even neck could be quite deceptive in comparison to a dog's neck and what a dog experiences.