Male Rescue Pug Urine Marking

daffodil48

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of help in regard to my newly adopted rescue pug. He is 9 years of age and was in a puppy farm for 8 years. He is house trained, but still urine marks once or twice a day in the house. Generally he marks against doors or furniture. I have purchased a repellant spray and also enzymatic cleaners. I now have him wearing a belly band inside and remove it whenever he and my 12 year old female pug go outside. The female is also a rescue.

I am trying to be vigilant in watching to see when he marks, but it is difficult. My main question is how do I stop this behaviour?

Regards,

daffodil48

I have this problem with my desexed boy. It doesn't happen often, but enough, that I can't relax when he is inside. I got him a belly band a couple of weeks ago & put a pad inside it. I am very happy to report, that he hasn't tried to lift his leg once inside since I got him the band :thumbsup: I do take it off him & put him outside every couple of hours....but he hasn't wet it once. :)

He is doing amazingly well considering his circumstances. If recently desexed it may take a while to break this habit or it may never stop so maybe continue with the belly band & try him without occasionally in time. Not much else you can do really.

Sounds like some of the things you are doing are right but what are you actively doing to actually housetrain him? Do you have a method that you are using (reward, repetition etc).

I find males much easier to train than females generally.

I'm currently in the process of housetraining a female Italian Greyhound aged 12 years who has come from kennels and never been in a house before - this will take 2-3 weeks using a method of housetraining which I'm happy to email to you if you would like?

Sounds like some of the things you are doing are right but what are you actively doing to actually housetrain him? Do you have a method that you are using (reward, repetition etc).

I find males much easier to train than females generally.

I'm currently in the process of housetraining a female Italian Greyhound aged 12 years who has come from kennels and never been in a house before - this will take 2-3 weeks using a method of housetraining which I'm happy to email to you if you would like?

Funnily enough, he is house trained. He sleeps inside at night (without belly band on) and always wees and poos outside. If he is doing a wee, he sill take himself out the dog door. However, the marking is entirely different. It is a few dribbles here and there, usually against the bottom of a door.

We are being vigilant in trying to catch him as he does it and then indicating "no". He is deaf and so is my other pug, so we have to be right there when he does it as he cannot hear us.

Belly band is on when he is inside (except over night) and he is taken out at 3 hourly intervals with belly band off to do a wee, so he doesn't wee in the belly band.

He is doing amazingly well considering his circumstances. If recently desexed it may take a while to break this habit or it may never stop so maybe continue with the belly band & try him without occasionally in time. Not much else you can do really.

He was desexed when he came into Rescue about 9 months ago. He is an absolute sweetheart!

I have this problem with my desexed boy. It doesn't happen often, but enough, that I can't relax when he is inside. I got him a belly band a couple of weeks ago & put a pad inside it. I am very happy to report, that he hasn't tried to lift his leg once inside since I got him the band :thumbsup: I do take it off him & put him outside every couple of hours....but he hasn't wet it once. :)

Oh I am so glad to hear the belly band is working for you :thumbsup:

So he is marking in a couple of places each night while the belly band is off?

Sometimes dogs mark their territory when there are new animal or people smells inside it. Sometimes they just mark it because it is theirs - and when that is the case the slightest molecule left of a previous marking will prompt them to remark it. Ammonia based cleaners can also cause them to mark to cover over the ammonia smell of the "intruder".

So, if you are not already doing it, make sure that you use an enzyme based cleaner, such as Urine Off, which removes all trace of previous markings. You can get a UV/black light which will show any invisible traces of urine, blood, sweat etc, and you can clean these off too...so hopefully there are no "invisible" stains which will cause him to re-mark in that spot.

Good Luck!

Oh I am so glad to hear the belly band is working for you :thumbsup:

It's been such a dogsend, with all this hot weather, where he is inside most of the day. :thumbsup: He hasn't wet it once.