Puppy Vaccinations

sheena

I have already lectured my daughter about getting a pup from an "Oops litter", so I don't need any more lectures...you would only be preaching to the converted :D At least I have talked her into waiting till the pup is 8 weeks before they pick him up. It's a small mixed breed pup. He is microchipped but not vaccinated. It will be more closer to nine weeks when she picks him up, so I am wondering if she should go & personally take the pup for his vaccination now then take him back to his mum, or would it be OK to wait till she picks him up at almost 9 weeks. She understands that pup need to be kept isolated for some time till after he has his second vact.

With puppies we keep ourselves we never give their first vaccination until at least 9 weeks. Anything before that is usually unnecessary as it is rare for Mum's immunity to wear off before then. With pups we sell, they unfortunately need to be done at 6 weeks as the ANKC regs state they need to be done 2 weeks prior to rehoming. Such a waste pumping stuff into them at that age :(

With puppies we keep ourselves we never give their first vaccination until at least 9 weeks. Anything before that is usually unnecessary as it is rare for Mum's immunity to wear off before then. With pups we sell, they unfortunately need to be done at 6 weeks as the ANKC regs state they need to be done 2 weeks prior to rehoming. Such a waste pumping stuff into them at that age :(

why not hang on to them for the extra two weeks ?. It's in their best interests to be vaccinated at 8 weeks plus and I've never had an issue with a puppy buy when we explain why we vaccinate a few weeks later.

I have already lectured my daughter about getting a pup from an "Oops litter", so I don't need any more lectures...you would only be preaching to the converted :D At least I have talked her into waiting till the pup is 8 weeks before they pick him up. It's a small mixed breed pup. He is microchipped but not vaccinated. It will be more closer to nine weeks when she picks him up, so I am wondering if she should go & personally take the pup for his vaccination now then take him back to his mum, or would it be OK to wait till she picks him up at almost 9 weeks. She understands that pup need to be kept isolated for some time till after he has his second vact.

your daughter may as well take the pup at 8 weeks and vaccinate it herself and take the usual precautions, the pup has nothing to gain from being vaccinated and returned to the mother. If the person who bred the pup doesn't care enough to vaccinate them, then it's unlikely they will be aware of parvo and the steps to take to prevent the pups from being exposed to it.

your daughter may as well take the pup at 8 weeks and vaccinate it herself and take the usual precautions, the pup has nothing to gain from being vaccinated and returned to the mother. If the person who bred the pup doesn't care enough to vaccinate them, then it's unlikely they will be aware of parvo and the steps to take to prevent the pups from being exposed to it.

I agree about the person who owns the pups doesn't have a clue, but I don't need to be reminded..I am already converted :) My daughter can't take him at 8 weeks for personal reasons, so I think she is going to pick up the pup tomorrow (he will be 7 weeks old) & take him to the vet herself, then return him to his mother for another couple of weeks. He is coming from a farm (not a puppy farm) where the woman's two dogs just happened to get together :mad So, yes this lady has no idea about breeding pups & I hope she now gets her dogs desexed so it doesn't happen again.

I agree about the person who owns the pups doesn't have a clue, but I don't need to be reminded..I am already converted :) My daughter can't take him at 8 weeks for personal reasons, so I think she is going to pick up the pup tomorrow (he will be 7 weeks old) & take him to the vet herself, then return him to his mother for another couple of weeks. He is coming from a farm (not a puppy farm) where the woman's two dogs just happened to get together :madSo, yes this lady has no idea about breeding pups & I hope she now gets her dogs desexed so it doesn't happen again.

Why would she ,she has sold these pups to gullible people without even wanting to vaccinate ,she isn't stupid & there are options for oopps litters .

The breeder should be paying for all the pups to be vaccinated thats what decent people do

why not hang on to them for the extra two weeks ?. It's in their best interests to be vaccinated at 8 weeks plus and I've never had an issue with a puppy buy when we explain why we vaccinate a few weeks later.

Out of the 7 pups we have bred (across 2 litters), 3 stayed with us permanently and 2 didn't go to their new homes until after 12 weeks. So most of them have actually been done later :)