Jessie's Mysterious Sickness

dezzyno.1

Another one here with an Addisonian Dog, the symptoms can very vague, mine vomited occassionally, but never went off his food, he was also was anaemic . He had no diarrhoea or rear end weakness. The test for Addisons is called the ACTH stim test.

My dog has Atypical Addisons which is a cortisol deficiency only. Primary and Secondary Addisons involves electrolyte imbalances.

Research now suggests that this is an underdiagosed conditon because the symptoms are so vague and can mimic other conditions, so it can often be missed

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks jm266 I looked up Addisons Disease and yes it could very well be this and I will mention it to my vet and see what she says and get it tested for or my usual vet has semi-retired but works a couple days a week and I might ring him as I really do like him he is very "on the ball" with things

Just came across this thread. Know exactly what it's like having a dog who is not well yet nothing comes up to give a diagnosis from where you can begin to know the direction to treat in.

I can't say that I put my full and total store in hair-DNA tests, but I will say that especially when nothing else is showing up, I have certainly found it worthwhile. And I do suspect that the hair-DNA can show up things more prematurely than blood tests might.

For example, my elderly Mum who required the toilet quite frequently had blood tests done and these showed up no issue with kidney function. Other tests (such as UTI) also came up as negative. Hair-DNA came up with mild kidney disease. Natural supplements given and the effect to reduction of toilet frequency was amazing. More recently, because of legal issues, the natural supplements can't be prescribed any more and therefore can't be administered by the Nursing Home she's at (which is good for the NH as it is less work) and one of the first things that became noticeable was the increase in urination frequency.

The way I initially approached the idea of hair-DNA tests was with the attitude that I was prepared to pay for the cost of the test ($125 for dogs; $150 for people) and depending on what the results report showed me as to whether I could believe it. Other than informing them of what medication my dog and my Mum were on, I didn't give info of symptoms etc., so when the results came back with suggested symptoms and they matched, it made sense to me, gave me confidence and good reason to proceed with the suggested supplementation (which is the expensive bit).

I use Ross Wilson who works via Coburg Health. Ph 03 9354 8007

Edited by Erny

Just came across this thread. Know exactly what it's like having a dog who is not well yet nothing comes up to give a diagnosis from where you can begin to know the direction to treat in.

I can't say that I put my full and total store in hair-DNA tests, but I will say that especially when nothing else is showing up, I have certainly found it worthwhile. And I do suspect that the hair-DNA can show up things more prematurely than blood tests might.

For example, my elderly Mum who required the toilet quite frequently had blood tests done and these showed up no issue with kidney function. Other tests (such as UTI) also came up as negative. Hair-DNA came up with mild kidney disease. Natural supplements given and the effect to reduction of toilet frequency was amazing. More recently, because of legal issues, the natural supplements can't be prescribed any more and therefore can't be administered by the Nursing Home she's at (which is good for the NH as it is less work) and one of the first things that became noticeable was the increase in urination frequency.

The way I initially approached the idea of hair-DNA tests was with the attitude that I was prepared to pay for the cost of the test ($125 for dogs; $150 for people) and depending on what the results report showed me as to whether I could believe it. Other than informing them of what medication my dog and my Mum were on, I didn't give info of symptoms etc., so when the results came back with suggested symptoms and they matched, it made sense to me, gave me confidence and good reason to proceed with the suggested supplementation (which is the expensive bit).

I use Ross Wilson who works via Coburg Health. Ph 03 9354 8007

thanks for this advice Erny....I will certainly be looking into this as spending a fortune on blood tests and still no answers.....do you suggest that we have the hair DNA tested whilst she is sick or when she is not.....would it make a difference???

They don't dna test the hair - they test what chemicals are in it. I think. To get dna from hair - you actually need the follicle bit at the scalp / skin end. They take a clipping of hair and then analyse the chemicals.

They can test for the presence of marijuana use in the previous six months this way - because depending how long the hair is or how old the hair in the cutting is - that's when the chemical was grown into the hair eg if the hair sample is six months out of the scalp - and tests for whatever - that's when the problem was.

So taking a hair cutting of when she is sick today - won't show anything about today's episode but if the hair sample includes hair that was growing during the last attack - that might show something.

So the hair test - desparately needs a scientific study so there is some unbiased non-anecdotal evidence to back it up. That's the trouble with science - if they haven't done the study - it doesn't mean the whatever doesn't work. And that will get reported as "no scientific evidence".

I suspect if there was more money for the big drug companies on proving the results one way or the other - there would be a study...

thanks Mrs Rusty Bucket.....will maybe get a vet to get the hair samples then but will speak with the person Erny has given the number for....everyone is so helpful on here and I really appreciate everybodys input :thumbsup:

Edited by dezzyno.1

Jessie is a 6 year old American Staffordshire Terrier who for the last 12 months every 2-3 months will be sick with vomiting, lethargy and stops eating but she does continue to drink but stops drinking if given a needle to stop the vomiting (it is usually all over my daughter's bed).....we have just paid a fortune for blood tests to try and find out what is wrong with her.....she hasn't got cancer, diabetes, Cushings disease, kidney or liver failure, diabetes or pancreatitis the only thing her liver enzymes were up a little but it is normal with the anti-seizure medication she is on.....the vet wants to let her get over this which she is nearly back to normal and the next time it happens will have to take her in to put her on a special diet for a sensitive stomach

Has anyone else encountered anything of similar things happen to their family pets as I am at a loss as to what to do or do we just let it happen and just get her through it like we have done so for the last 12 months and put her on the special diet next time it happens

Just after some advice on what people think it could be or if not what they would do

My staffy has similiar symtoms so last week he has an Endoscope done the camera put down throat into stomach & biopies done, I really recommend it, it only cost $400 for Endoscope & they need biopies done as well cause when the vet looked down throat he said everything looked fine, then he did 2 biopies thank-God..just got the results yesterday, my boy has the Helicobacter virus its bacteria of the stomach he's on 2 set of antibiotics, Metronidazole & Amocilin & an ant acid Zantac they normalll use Losec but the losec gives him green sloppy poos hes on these meds for 3 weeks to kill the bacteria...it is highly contagous from other dogs licking their mouths that have it, from drinking dirty water so make sure water is changed daily, he was a rescue dog that I rescued 2 years ago so I dont know his past, but poor thing has been sick for 2 years, I started to do research & asked the vet to test for H-Pylori Bacteria virus (Helicobacter) he also has IBD confirmed, probably from having the Helicobacter for so long, poor boy..even if ur vet just puts her on the course of antibiotics & anti acid they all have to be taken together to work properly & kill this bacteria for 2-3 weeks it wont hurt if you cant afford Endoscope, I wish I did it 2 years ago but vet wouldnt listen to me..Patch is 6 years old aswell...

thanks Sueang it is something that I can certainly speak to my vet about as well....although if it is highly contagious my other dogs drink from the same water as Jessie and they all lick each others mouths and they are not sick at all and yes all water at our house is changed every day for them to have clean fresh water daily but something else to look into so thank you very much

thanks Sueang it is something that I can certainly speak to my vet about as well....although if it is highly contagious my other dogs drink from the same water as Jessie and they all lick each others mouths and they are not sick at all and yes all water at our house is changed every day for them to have clean fresh water daily but something else to look into so thank you very much

I forgot to write if the other dogs have a good immune system chances of getting the Helicobacter virus are slim, as they will have alot of good bacteria to fight the bad bacteria off. I asked the vet about my cat as he drinks out of the same water bowl & thats what she told me..Also put them all on a good dog probiotic I use Vetafarm Probiotic its a powder I just mix 1 teaspoon to 10-15ml water in a bowl & Patch just drinks it, I give daily after breakfast well I will be doing again after the Anitbiotics are finished in 3 weeks..You keep Vetafarm in the fridge, has to be store under 25degrees, its sold at Pet Barn in the bird section now, I dont know why they moved it, it use to have a dog & cat on the container now it has a red chicken & lorekett on the side & they put in the bird section they do sell Paws probiotic in dog section but its dearer double the price & has less strains of good bacteria the vetafarm has around 7-8 strains of good bacteria..like the vets Protexin Vetafarm has the same ingredients as Protexin & its sold at vets for $65 Vetafarm sells for only $20 Paws sells for $45

thanks for that Sueang.....I will try anything.....I have started the process of elimination today as Jessie was again sick this morning but recovered within a couple of hours......going back through a lot of vet bills and records and discussion with my husband we worked out Jessie was just changed over to the Black Hawk when she first became sick.....I am starting to wonder whoever suggested it earlier whether it may be toxins from her medication causing her to be sick....we are slowly changing her over to the Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach dry food and not change anything else and see how she goes with that....keeping fingers crossed it is just something in the Black Hawk that does not agree with her and the medications she is on....I will keep everyone updated on how she goes :)

thanks for that Sueang.....I will try anything.....I have started the process of elimination today as Jessie was again sick this morning but recovered within a couple of hours......going back through a lot of vet bills and records and discussion with my husband we worked out Jessie was just changed over to the Black Hawk when she first became sick.....I am starting to wonder whoever suggested it earlier whether it may be toxins from her medication causing her to be sick....we are slowly changing her over to the Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach dry food and not change anything else and see how she goes with that....keeping fingers crossed it is just something in the Black Hawk that does not agree with her and the medications she is on....I will keep everyone updated on how she goes :)

Try the "Eukanuba Sensitive Digestion" its a low residue kibble & digest easier then the Hills kibbles, U can buy from Pet Barn... Patch is on the Vet Diet "Eukanuba Intestinal" they are similar but the fat% in the Sensitive Digestion is 13% & in the Vet diet Intestinal the fat% is 10% fat but the Hills sensitive stomach didnt work for Patch he was still sick,I got a refund as its guarented.. You can buy the "Eukanuba Intestinal" online from Pet Circle, I just rung & said I was sick of going to vets all the time to pick it up.... it was the same price as vets & its delivered to ur door a 1 kilo Eukanuba Intestinal is Only $16 from vets, Pet circle its $13.. I buy the 5 kilo bag $70 last 1 month..also have you tried an ant acid like Zantac 150mg you can buy from chemist or get on a script from dr but dont get the 12 hour Zantac you need the normal Zantac 150mg, the Dosage is online... I give under 1/2 a tablet 1/2 hour before breakfast then 12 hours later I give again 1/2 hour before food 6am & 6pm I feed 5 small meals thru the day...but something is wrong...What are her medications she not on Predisone???

To Jessie's Mum,

Ive been doing research for my boy cause he was dignosed last week with "Lymphocytic Gastritis with associated Spiral Bacteria infection" ( Helicobcter) when I google this illness it comes up with Celiac disease next to the nameCeliac need a gluten free diet also does ur dog have seizures if so, Ive been reading dogs responed real well to a Gluten Free diet NO GRAINS, one really good Gluten free diet is "Meals For Mutts" Salmon & Sardine Hypoallergenic gluten free kibble...Sold at Pet Quarters or online its not dear a 2.5kg bag sells for $25 the bigger the bag the cheaper, if ur dog has a gluten intolance, grains would make her sick, what Im finding with my boy when he eats grains or Potatoes (starch).. Maybe you should give it a try & see if she does get better.... also you can email the Vet Naturalist that invented Meals For Mutts kibble....I have emailed him & he emails you back with advise...also it could be her meds making her sick, can her meds be changed or reduced?? google the name of her meds with side effects next to the name & see if vomiting is a side effect.. the Salmon & Sardine has the least amount of fat at 10% fat & fiber is only 4% where the Kangaroo & Lamb has 11% fat & 6% fiber... here's the Meal for Mutts link have a look, Im thinking of trying Patch on this Kibble as he gets real itchy paws he has skin problems aswell & Ive read that this food is excellent for skin problems & other health problems..... all vet diet foods are full of grains like the supermarket crappy foods...

http://www.mealsformutts.com.au/dog_salmon_&_sardine.html

thanks Sueang I will look into the Meals for Mutts.....Jessie has been on the medication for 2 years and has had no trouble only when we started her on Black Hawk but will certainly look into what you have told me.....she is okay on the Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach at the moment and will see how she goes.....as people have stated it may be a process of elimination and keeping fingers crossed taking her off the Black Hawk will do this....will let you know how she goes but as I said i will definitely look into what you have told me

Last time I tried BH my dog did start chucking and doing a lot of grass eating. A couple of us had trouble at the same time. Not really sure why as they said the formula hadn't changed.

Yes My boy couldnt eat, BH.. I emailed Black Hawk & a lady rang me back within 5 mins of sending the email & wanted to know what happened & told her it made my boy ill, she told me take the rest of kibble back to Pet Quarters & get a refund they'll know what to do, so BH must be use to complaints...

I forgot to write if the other dogs have a good immune system chances of getting the Helicobacter virus are slim, as they will have alot of good bacteria to fight the bad bacteria off. I asked the vet about my cat as he drinks out of the same water bowl & thats what she told me..Also put them all on a good dog probiotic I use Vetafarm Probiotic its a powder I just mix 1 teaspoon to 10-15ml water in a bowl & Patch just drinks it, I give daily after breakfast well I will be doing again after the Anitbiotics are finished in 3 weeks..You keep Vetafarm in the fridge, has to be store under 25degrees, its sold at Pet Barn in the bird section now, I dont know why they moved it, it use to have a dog & cat on the container now it has a red chicken & lorekett on the side & they put in the bird section they do sell Paws probiotic in dog section but its dearer double the price & has less strains of good bacteria the vetafarm has around 7-8 strains of good bacteria..like the vets Protexin Vetafarm has the same ingredients as Protexin & its sold at vets for $65 Vetafarm sells for only $20 Paws sells for $45

Can I ask what the dosage is for the Vetafarm product?

The Vetafarm is 90g it last me over 1 month.....

The Vetafarm is 90g it last me over 1 month.....Oh dosage, I started with 1 level teaspoon for 1 week, just incase Patch had diarrhea & he didnt, made his poos firmer, it comes with a spoon inside now I just give 1 level spoon that is inside container, I think their spoon holds 2 level teaspoons. I give after 1 hour after breakfast every day, Patch loves it, I mix about 10-15ml water, he just drinks it but some dog wont drink it, so just sprinkle over meal You can also email the Vetafarm company they are really good with advise...but if ur dog is on antibiotics you have to either wait till antibiotics are finished or give the probiotic 4 hours after you've giving antibiotcs, as the antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the probiotic...

The Vetafarm is 90g it last me over 1 month.....Oh dosage, I started with 1 level teaspoon for 1 week, just incase Patch had diarrhea & he didnt, made his poos firmer, it comes with a spoon inside now I just give 1 level spoon that is inside container, I think their spoon holds 2 level teaspoons. I give after 1 hour after breakfast every day, Patch loves it, I mix about 10-15ml water, he just drinks it but some dog wont drink it, so just sprinkle over meal You can also email the Vetafarm company they are really good with advise...but if ur dog is on antibiotics you have to either wait till antibiotics are finished or give the probiotic 4 hours after you've giving antibiotcs, as the antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the probiotic...

How heavy is Patch?

How heavy is Patch?

Patch weights 17-18kilos, when you read the dose it says small 2-4g medium-4g large-6g also depends if they are stressed then they can have more, I just googled how many grams in 1 teaspoon & its said 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon, The vetafarm is a powder not as course as sugar but its close...so Patch must be classed as a meduim dog he's a English Staffy a shorty..