Nw101: Introduction To Nosework

Hi silentchild

Out of interest, what training method does she use for identification of the scent? What is the reward system?

What response do you train?

- Active? Passive?

From reading the NACSW Rules I think a passive response is the best. This way you don't risk loosing points for contaminating an area compared to dogs trained with an active response. I quite like Andrew Ramsey's "obedience to odour" response where the dog focus on the scent. This way you will not have issues if the scent is located out of the dogs reach.

What was the before/after result you had?

Thanks. A lot of questions so I appreciate any response.

I think it's better if you ask her those questions yourself as she will be in a better position to answer you. There is a form to contact her on the link you posted.

I am just starting out and have never done nosework before so do not want to give you a wrong answer. All I can say is I am very happy with the course and my dog is well on her way to being able to pass the ORT if we ever have it here in Australia.

It's K9 Nose time, and they're associated with NACSW.

http://k9nosetime.com/

From their facebook page:

Put a BIG RED CIRCLE around FEB 7th, 8th and 21st as "Fred Helfers, an internationally recognised detection dog trainer and CNWI for the National Association Of Canine Scent Work® " will be presenting a two day seminar and workshop on Feb 7 and 8th in Castle Hill and will also be conducting an OFFICIAL ODOUR RECOGNITION TEST on FEB 21. The ORT will be organised and conducted as established by the Australian Canine Scent Work (ACSW) following the guidelines of the National Association Of Canine Scent Work®, (NACSW).
Edited by Scottsmum

• 1 month later...