Scared Of The Lawn Mower

Taliecat

Our boy Dozer seems to be terrified of the lawn mower.

Tail between his legs, panting and shaking a bit. Tried getting him to go in his crate with some food to distract him and it's a no go.

At the moment I'm ignoring him, but he seems to feel safest when he's either pressed right up against me or he climbs into my lap.

What steps can we take to help him feel better next time. Maybe get him set up in his crate with a good chew? Or an adaptil collar or rescue remedy?

What steps have you wonderful people used in the past?

Sometimes I am scared of the lawnmower :laugh:

Is there any reason why he has to deal with the lawnmower ?

Can't he just stay inside while you mow ?

Maybe it just the pitch of the noise. Try putting cotton wool in his ears before starting it up. Sometimes I do that with young dogs when I first use the noisy high velocity dog dryer on them until they get used to it slowly.

You could try recording the sound of the lawn mower and playing it very quietly. Play with him - use food/toy rewards - and gradually increase the volume as he relaxes at the current level. Yes it will sound different to the live version but it is a good start. Whilst you are working on desensitising him I would take him for a walk whilst the lawnmowing is happening. Take your phone and ring OH when you are a decent distance away - you can work on playing with your dog and moving closer to the scary sound too.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

You could try recording the sound of the lawn mower and playing it very quietly. Play with him - use food/toy rewards - and gradually increase the volume as he relaxes at the current level. Yes it will sound different to the live version but it is a good start. Whilst you are working on desensitising him I would take him for a walk whilst the lawnmowing is happening. Take your phone and ring OH when you are a decent distance away - you can work on playing with your dog and moving closer to the scary sound too.

Great advice TSD, I was about to post something very similar :thumbsup:

I bought an "app" called Sound Proof Puppy Training. It has a heap of sounds including a lawn mower. I honestly don't know if it is/was worthwhile, cost me $5 and I did use it for my new pup who was frightened of traffic noise and dogs barking. She is less afraid by far of both now but whether it was from using the app or her getting older and braver I'm not sure.

I've found recorded noises haven't helped my older dog with storms but maybe it depends on what noise your desensitising too? I can play thunderstorms and my Frenchie does nothing, but the real thing has her panting and clinging to me.

With the lawnmower I only have experience with my puppy but this worked well for me. I left the lawnmower out for days and did lots of treating around it until it was ignored. Then I turned it on and left it running in the one spot for increasing times while playing games a distance away.

After a few days I moved it a short distance and played games between each move creeping closer each time. She now doesn't give a hoot which is great but she's maybe a bit too relaxed as I have to keep her inside to stop her getting in the way when mowing! I did the same with the vacuum cleaner with the same result.

Good luck, its horrible when you see them so stressed.

Ernie was terrified ion the vacuum ckeaner. I started off by treating him when he looked at it; them when he nosed it; then when he stood close to it. Then I turnef it on and repeated the process. I'm not sure how this would work with a lawnmower but perhaps treating him for first looking at you when he heard it, then treating him for choosing a toy instead of reacting, then treating him for going in his crate.... And so on.

Would this work, do you think?