Boxers

Joelevo

I am interested in getting a boxer puppy. I have a few mates that have them and I love their energy and temperament. I have done some research and there are a few types but I am interested in the ones that do not drool(American breed). It seems like the breeders mix some of them so how do you know if they are tight lipped or loose lipped boxer dogs?

I would imagine by viewing the parents? I honestly had no idea there was a difference, perhaps if the drooling is such a huge issue you might be better looking at the attributes you like in less drooly breeds?

I know nothing about boxers, but sometimes you have to compromise! Haha.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on choosing the best breed to own.

Well conformed boxers do not drool much. I own and breed cockers too, and they do salivate more. American boxers drool as much or as little as other lines. Chose a pup from parents without large pendulous flews, with good mouth conformation, and good tooth placement, and a chin (repandus) and not too short in the nose, with no nose roll as an adult.

It can be difficult to pick that in a puppy, so check out the parents. There are few or no people in Aus breeding 100% American dogs, so you wont get a 100% American dog very easily, but a few are breeding dogs from some American lines.

The dog with the cropped ears is a Canadian dog (American lines)USA Ch & Can Ch Berlanes Joint Venture SOM. I have a bitch by him, who does not drool .... all boxers (and other dogs) drool when offered food, or when they are excessively hot. She does not drool otherwise.

The other brindle bitch is home bred, and she does not drool either - she is all Australian lines, going back to UK lines.

Good luck.

post-438-0-97570500-1419992142_thumb.jpg

post-438-0-30651600-1419992279_thumb.jpg

Added to say Noishe's dogs are well bred, and I would imagine they wouldn't drool much either.

It is really important to buy from a proper registered (with their State CC - ie Dogs West) breeder, preferably one who has been around for a while - not 12 months or so - and who has some idea what you are talking about.

The "right" breeder will know, and will be able to help you. Unfortunately, in the dog world there are plenty who make a big noise, yet know nothing.

Do your research, expect to pay a fair price, and make sure the breeder knows what they are talking about. The dog you want will be will conformed, with good head and skull conformation, and will come from a good experienced breeder. And not have a heavy, head with a lot of flew

Check out the Boxer sub-forum here where boxer owners speak about their dogs, see if you can see some you like, and pm them to ask where their dogs came from.

Edited by Jed

If you are anti drool you might be better with a different breed. i think all boxers drool snore and fart :)

No, ones with correct conformation do not drool. Ones with correct soft palate and throat formation do not snore, and if fed the correct diet they do not fart either. Correct diet means BARF.

I could tell you a funny story about some boxer exhibitors who won everything at a show 5 hours from home, won a carton of Pal, and in the absence of any will at 10pm, gave each boxer a large tin, so they could celebrate too.

Naturally, the trip home involved windows down, and all heads out the windows!! :laugh: