Pets Die In Sa Boarding Kennel Fire

Sheridan

Shocking. Makes me feel sick. From the first news reports and the owner's quotes, it was plain that no one was there. These people were either very care-less, or incredibly stupid.

Other peoples animals - should have been evacuated. These were the only kennels which lost any pets. They totally ignored their duty of care to their customers - and their pets.

Just sickening.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there was going to be an inquiry but it sounds like it still hasn't happened or been arranged?

It's easy for us to speculate but as I've said before that for the sake of the safety of all the animals, regardless of a disaster looming, you would think an adult with a license was on the premises at all times. What if one of the animals got injured and needed vet care? An owner probably expects it would be noticed and treatment sought fairly quickly. You would also assume with that many animals that it would take multiple people every day to feed, water, clean and exercise the animals there. You would assume those activities were happening in the day time too. I think it is great one of the owners was a volunteer fire fighter but there was a duty of care on the entire business to ensure someone capable was there and attending to the animals and from comments made by the owners themselves it sounds like that wasn't the case.

Without an independent inquiry no-one will get the truth and learn from this terrible disaster.

I thought there was going to be an inquiry but it sounds like it still hasn't happened or been arranged?

It's easy for us to speculate but as I've said before that for the sake of the safety of all the animals, regardless of a disaster looming, you would think an adult with a license was on the premises at all times. What if one of the animals got injured and needed vet care? An owner probably expects it would be noticed and treatment sought fairly quickly. You would also assume with that many animals that it would take multiple people every day to feed, water, clean and exercise the animals there. You would assume those activities were happening in the day time too. I think it is great one of the owners was a volunteer fire fighter but there was a duty of care on the entire business to ensure someone capable was there and attending to the animals and from comments made by the owners themselves it sounds like that wasn't the case.

Without an independent inquiry no-one will get the truth and learn from this terrible disaster.

I sent an email to RSPCA SA in the latter part of Feb enquiring what is happening with regards to an inquiry into the deaths of pets in the fire at Tea Tree Gully Boarding Kennels and Cattery and received a reply a couple of days later advising "The Inspectorate Department has an outstanding investigation into the matter and at this time the investigation is still ongoing".