Poodle Grooming Recommendations Melbourne

Hello,

I have been searching through previous posts but thought i would start a new one for people to post poodle groomer recommendations for melbourne areas. I have a 15 week old puppy who is ready for a puppy clip and have no idea where to take her - any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sophia our puppy is a small toy so i would like someone gentle (obviously) and someone who is experienced in poodle clipping as i have heard some horror stories!

Thanks

I've been grooming for 20 years and have owned poodles for almost as long, always happy to take on new ones.

I have a purpose built airconditioned grooming room at home and do one on one appointments.

Located in a very quiet part of Seaford.

My customers travel from all over Melbourne, from the Docklands right down to Mt Martha, Vermont, Dingley, Brighton, Beaumauris etc.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

• 2 weeks later...

Going to the Dogs in Burnley Street, Richmond. I havent taken my dog there myself, but i know the owner breeds and shows Poodles.

Thanks!!! Will definitely check that out :) Thanks everyone for the recommendations. First experience was not so great... $90 for a puppy clip clean up!!! Safe to say i think i got ripped off?

While I even agree that $90 for a toy poodle is a bit steep I would like to clarify a few things.

Salon owners have much bigger overhead ie rent for one, and possibly wages, than home salon owners. I know, as I have had both.

I currently charge $68 for a toy poodle inner suburbs salon Adelaide. That is certainly around the upper current market price for a small dog salon/mobile groom here. I charge the same for puppies as adults, as I firmly believe that the first contact a puppy has with the salon environment is the most important one they will ever have, so as much time and care is invested in a puppy as they need, often exceeding the normal timeframe for the same dog as an adult. You can't drop a baby on the table and treat it as an adult dog for grooming. More especially with a poodle, if the request is for clean face, feet etc.

My base price for a standard poodle is $90 and that's a basic short all over, including FFT if requested. That is very cheap for a salon price, but as I don't take new large clients, a couple of standards and doodles I still do are priced $90 to $120.

I have heard that salon charges in the Eastern states are higher than SA, most likely because of higher commercial leasing prices.

So while it does sound like a high price it's not completely off the chart for a salon grooming. As long as the puppy was treated extremely well, you can't put a price on a puppy becoming a confident adult on the grooming table due partly to the thoughtful behavior of their groomer.

Even before I moved my business to home I didn't charge that much, I charged $60-$66 for toys and minis, $80 for standards and that's for FFT and full lamb clip not an all over shave. I also pluck ears, empty anal glands and cut nails.

I have a standard done from start to finish in 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on their behaviour, age and condition of the dog.

I have only slightly less overheads than a normal shop owner since I'm paying off a loan for building my grooming room, still have to pay utilities, insurance, maintenance on equipment etc.