Bone Broth

I've made up some bone broth. 2 chcken carcasses, apple cider vinegar and duly simmered for 24 hours.

The bones were all smashed and then returned to broth and simmered for another 1/2 hour.

I'm just wondering because they are so soft and mushy, can I fee the bones to the dogs. They crumble to the touch.

One recipe said they could be usd as a dog food supplement, so I imagine they are alright, but wanted to check here first.

Have you got a blender, as in a stick type?

I would go the mixture to ensure each and every piece is truly mushy.

Then I would take say one biggish cup with the (mushy) bones & blitz them further.

It would be those extra steps that prevent any choking dramas.

Just give Danny small amounts as it should freeze OK.

Paws crossed for a positive report, DDD.

:)

BTW< I know you said you are Vegan.

Can you manage to handle meats OK?

LOL. I'm a vegetarian.

I have to handle meat for the dogs and Gussy Cat, so I go through a lot of food handling gloves :o:o . Have gloves; can do anything.

Ah, gloves!!! Best aid other than another pair of hands.

I whizz the chicken broth just for that extra security.

I used to make it when I broke my foot years ago - it was recommended by the Chinese acupuncturist I was seeing to help with recovery. He said 8-10 hours was all that was needed, but longer may be better but not necessary... according to him anyway :)

You can go nuts with what you put in it, garlic will be totally safe in the levels you would use and may have some extra health benefits. Parsley is also a good addition as is celery and celery leaves, perhaps a couple of bay leaves. I would also consider adding a half teaspoon of turmeric, a dessert spoon of fresh raw turmeric would be great if you can get it locally.

Yonjuro, all the recipes I've seen on line say 24 hours. I must admit I was somewhat daunted at the prospect of having something simmering for that long and overnight because of my fear of fire (I have gas), but we accomplished it without any drama.

Because I want to be able to use the bone/meat residue, I think I would stick with that length of time. I have a horror of bones being caught - did have an episode with roo jerky being caught in one of my dog's throat a few years ago and that was scary enough :(

Yes, The recipes generally add a heap of parsely before finishing - forgotten how long before, now. I just googled Bone Broth.

Next time I make it, I will be using lots of veggies the other things you suggest. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Fair enough DDD, I haven't researched it like you have. I was just going on what I remembered from the Chinese Doctor many years ago. But what you say about using the residue makes more sense for it to be done for such a long time :thumbsup:

I wonder just how nutritional this would be. Firstly using chicken that is so young there is little nutrition of value in it and then cooking the little there is out of it. Still if it works for you go for it, it's not going to do any harm guess..

Could cut the time down to less than an hour using a good 15 psi Pressure cooker.

Whole end of lay chooks and left over ducks after duck shooting season make for great dog / puppy food after an hour. Tough birds 90 minutes to be sure. Watch carefully for shot with the ducks.. You get the broth, dogs get the rest.. :)

I have been advised and made myself bone broth for my dog using slow cooker.

It's more in safer side using slow cooker, as I don't need to tend to check the simmering pots and slow cooker normally using ceramic ramekin/bowl, which Chinese people prefer to use this material when cooking something over longer period...

I think decades ago (and probably still now) Chinese are using terracotta pots when simmering their traditional herbs medicine.

There is something in metal/stainless stell that Chinese think will ruin the product when cooking over period of time.

You can use ox tail, pig trotters, beef tendons, chicken feet to use as your bone broth base. I prefer to use any of these meat cuts as the cartilage in these bones is the beneficial value for the dogs, and us human too for join support etc. and after cooking for that long, i normally strain the liquid from the solid. the liquid when left to cool will be gelatineous in texture, so kind of jelly treats fro my dog. I chuck the bones after taking all the meat off it.

as for how long...with slow cooker 24hours is good, just enough to melt the cartilages. When simmering on the pots i think 10hours is more than enough.

Edited by Monchichi