Dobes & Natural Short Tail

persephone

1422101543[/url]' post='6636567']
1422078531[/url]' post='6636354']

I suppose it would be possible to get an odd one with what would in effect be spina bifida. The spaniel that I saw (in NZ) had no movement in it's tail, just a 'blob' - a bit like a Manx cat tail

No idea about bob tail genetics in dogs but do know about Manx cats. I also thought that bob tail would be a genetic defect of the natural spine of a dog so why would anyone want to breed genetically defected dogs :confused:

Manx cats have so many problems due to their lack of tails.

It's a different gene, works differently. There is also a few different types, you have breeds where they are all bob tailed like Bulldogs. Then you have the NBT gene where the heterozygous version is perfectly safe, causes no problems, the homozygous form is lethal, the puppies die are reabosorbed/ die in the womb or shortly after birth.

Bit like comparing Manx cats to Bobcats. The trait looks the same but is different genetically.

If the NBT gene is in dobes, why has no one documented it confused.gifYou only need one copy of the gene to get the trait, so I would think people would be jumping all over it.

Edited by LisaCC

I don't know if I can share links to other forums here, so just some quotes from the Doberman board I am on.

Otto Goeller, who actually was the one who developed this breed into what we have today, is said to have had produced a few dogs with a natural bob tail. So it's not surprising when we see it pop up now and then in today's dogs.

In many breeds the bob tail trait is what's considered a lethal trait. If you double up on it all sorts of birth defects can occur, to the extreme of dogs being born who lack an anus. That more than likely is the reason no one has pursued trying to produce natural bob tails in this breed with regularity.

One of the problems with natural bob tails is the length can vary from dog to dog. So in a lot of breeds where they occur, the dog with a natural bob tail might have to be docked anyway, as the tail might still be too long per their breed standard.
It's said there was a line of naturally bobbed tailed dobermans in the very early years of the breed. That trait was lost when Manchester terrier was brought in to improve the pigmentation in the markings.

It's also said efforts to produce upright ears were not successful. It happens once in a blue moon-not a particularly attractive look.

In Recent years there were at least bob tailed dobes born at breeders I personally know

One was Redshift the other Borealis

Both were tested for the gene and it was recessive

I does happen I've heard of more

Redshift puppy I've seen with my own eyes

In Recent years there were at least bob tailed dobes born at breeders I personally know

One was Redshift the other Borealis

Both were tested for the gene and it was recessive

I does happen I've heard of more

Redshift puppy I've seen with my own eyes

I believe that Sheridan's pups were seen in litters behind a bitch called "Windswept The Snow Rose".

Just have to say what a trip down memory lane I haven't looked on Dobermann Pacifica for years. Just been reading through critiques adn Breed Surveys on my girls. How I miss them.

I am not sure which Windswept ones I have photos of as my books are packed away.