Fox Red Labrador

millie_the_lab

If a great puppy happened my way and it happened to be fox red, I'd jump at the opportunity. But I wouldn't go out of my way looking for the color. It's pretty rare, and I would be suspicious of breeders who specialize in one shade of yellow (btw., if you want to be picky, the Australian standard calls it red fox, not fox red).

In my book, fox red is different from dark yellow. It's a rusty shade. Quite attractive. Used to be quite common in golden retrievers but has almost been bred out of them now.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I've always wondered why, over the years, Labrador Retriever has become just Labrador while Golden Retriever is still commonly a two word name?

I don't mean to those that have and love them, to whom they are labs and goldies, but to the general not dog-savvy public?

Any guesses?

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I've always wondered why, over the years, Labrador Retriever has become just Labrador while Golden Retriever is still commonly a two word name?

I don't mean to those that have and love them, to whom they are labs and goldies, but to the general not dog-savvy public?

Any guesses?

The golden retriever and the flat coat retriever were once one and the same breed. The breed was split by color, and the two breeds each went their own ways.

No such split occurred with Labradors, although (unfortunately in my book) some color variants (eg., hailstone) were weeded out and the occasional non-solid color (eg., semi-brindle) is a disqualification.

The fox red Labs that I have seen have a very distinct coat colour. Although it is allegedly a dark shade yellow, it looks nothing like a yellow, not even a darkly shaded yellow. Nor does it look like a chocolate, or a washed out chocolate. In my memory bank I put the fox red coloring as about the colour of a dark coated RR. They were a solid even colour with no lighter points throughout the coat.

The fox red Labs that I have seen have a very distinct coat colour. Although it is allegedly a dark shade yellow, it looks nothing like a yellow, not even a darkly shaded yellow. Nor does it look like a chocolate, or a washed out chocolate. In my memory bank I put the fox red coloring as about the colour of a dark coated RR. They were a solid even colour with no lighter points throughout the coat.

It's not "allegedly", it is.

"Yellow" is geneticaly ee - recessive red. There is an Intensity gene which determines how much of the red pigment is displayed. ee recessive red is anything from cream to a deep red.

It is the same gene in Goldens.

It's not "allegedly", it is.

"Yellow" is geneticaly ee - recessive red. There is an Intensity gene which determines how much of the red pigment is displayed. ee recessive red is anything from cream to a deep red.

It is the same gene in Goldens.

Thank you for explaining that.

I guess what I was trying to say is looks can be deceiving, as in the fox red colour doesn't look like yellow

• 4 months later...

As I said in the other thread, they've been around in the UK and in Canada definitely for a while.

But they are usually field lines and a LOT of dog. as much as I love field bred labs, I know, for me - they are too much.

My lazy loving choccie (who was supposed to be black) is perfect. I think here in Oz, you might have luck looking for a 'darker' yellow - but I'd steer clear of any breeder who breeds colour to colour.

Just my .02