Dutch (Link Contains Graphic Image)

I sign quite a few Change.org petitions but this one had me shaking my head. I certainly don't condone animal cruelty but oh the stupidity of owners who think their failure to meet local by-laws that are designed to keep dogs and other animals/people safe don't apply if you have a friendly dog! There are a lot of animal hating nutters out there and this is yet another risk you place on the head of your beloved pet when you knowingly let them wander.

The other thing that really truly bugs me is when people take children and teens on discovery jaunts that have the potential to end with some kind of bad news. They don't need to see their parent scream or the family dog dead or even be part of a confrontation with a dog hating neighbour. Be an adult and protect the child by leaving it at home (just as you should've done with your pet).

I wish their was an option on the petition site to 'unlike' or comment how I really feel. She facilitated the death of her own dog and now wants justice for it but is not prepared to look at the part she played in putting Dutch in harm's way. Oh if people only had to sit a test before they could own a dog!

https://www.change.org/p/rspca-tony-abbott-jail-time-for-people-killing-someone-else-s-pet?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=234066&alert_id=KYSNMKDGpm_kWtLMnyzi4ryBhAcrjjYRrozvGPu2vEBh7nz%2BJ%2FNH0s%3D

What a lowlife (Dutch's owner I mean). She obviously knew Dutch was a problem to the neighbour yet habitually let him wander. There is so much to read between the lines here, and I suspect there is a completely different side to this tale. 22500 supporters of her petition just shows how gullible people can be.

She is asking for jail time for her neighbour but, depending where she lives, her neighbour may have acted perfectly legally:

VIC Govt Act

We have a couple of dogs in our suburban street who are regularly loose. You can always tell when they are wandering because it sets all the dogs up and down the street off. Both chase any dogs being leash walked and one goes for the postie and anyone who parks near its property. Then of course you have the issue of driving around them when they are chasing something or even just when they are going for a casual stroll. It is a pain in the arse and the owners don't see the chaos even a friendly wandering dog can create in their little area. I too would be very angry if I had horses who were regularly being affected as they could injure themselves. Of course I wouldn't be killing the dog but I would be on to council about it if a discussion with the owner didn't change anything. Some people take no responsibility and it is always the dog who pays the ultimate price.

• 3 weeks later...

So the neighbour asked her and she paid him no heed because she obviously knows exactly how the neighbours horses react and she's clearly watched Her dog walk past without bothering them. A few weeks ago I chased the dog that caused Naybekkes death from my chicken house again. I asked the owner if it was her dog and explained that when her dog barks and runs up and down in front of my chicken house the chickens hurt themselves by flying into the mesh. She told me adamantly her dog didn't do that. So I explained that the next time she's missing her dog she might want to contact a far away pound because the dog I catch will be going to an out of area pound.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed change.org about this when it popped up in my email. I said she had broken the law and it was reprehensible that they encouraged someone to repeat and normalise a behaviour which is in law for the animals best interests.

The woman is an idiot and her dog paid for it with his life.