Different Methods Of Sedation?

Kirislin

I'm wondering why my vet wont just lightly sedate my dog for an ex-ray. A couple of months ago Puck started whimpering every now and then so I took him to the vet saying I thought he needed his neck/spine ex-rayed. The vet (not my usual one) talked me out of it because he said Puck would have to have a general. I asked why he couldn't have the light sedation that was given to Kibah and Penny as a relaxant the day they were put down. He said that's only given when they dont want the dog to wake up ever again. At the time it was wonderful for them both. They seemed to have a respite from the pain and it gave me time to love them for a couple of hours before their final injection. Why cant it be used in other non terminal cases and is there some other kind of sedation that would temporarily relax Puck so he can have an ex-ray without giving him a full GA?

Edited by Kirislin

There are lots of sedation options, depending on how deep you want the dog to be. A pre-med might be all that is needed (something like methadone or temgesic) or something a big stronger (like ace combined with torbugesic). These don't always get them quiet enough for an xray, but its worth a try.

Neck and spine radiographs need to be very well positioned. Light sedation may still not result in sufficient relaxation to take diagnostic radiographs, particularly in a dog with neck pain. In a dog without any issues preventing it, a (light) general anaesthetic would be my preference too to ensure immobility, reduce the time of the procedure and limit exposure of the pet and personnel to X-rays.

I can elaborate further when not feeding a newborn and consoling a sobbing toddler. :o

I found that one of my dogs who had to have regular x-rays recovered faster from a GA than from a sedation... and the costs were comparable to each other, so the quick GA was the preference for me.

This was also a dog who was claustrophobic and did not handle cages of any kind - think 47kg rottweiler with stress vomit and diarrhoea... not a fave of vet techs anywhere! I would bring him in 30 mins before his procedure time, wait for it to be done, then sit with him in a corner and wait for him to get his legs enough to stumble back to the car, and get him home to the safety of the couch... lol!

T.

thanks Rappie and Kirty for explaning the need for a GA. I think I'll have to just go in and insist on it then, because when I asked last time the vet talked me out of it saying I'd really need an MRI, but on thinking about it more I dont think so. I want to know what, if anything is going on with his skeletal spine and take those ex-rays to the osteopath. He will feel if there's any soft tissue injuries, but if he's manipulating Puck I want him to be up to date with his spine. Pucky is 10 now so I'd expect that there might be stuff going on with it.

Neck and spine radiographs won't demonstrate disc or soft tissue problems in most instances. They can rule in or out other bony pathology like bony neoplasia, infection or spondylitis. In some case one might see calcified discs which in themselves mean very little but occasionally they may be displaced, sometimes the presence of a disc problem is assumed or implied by a significant narrowing of an intervertebral space. So yes, an MRi is required to specifically diagnose disc problems but that is of most importance prior to spinal surgery. That isn't to say that it is not the best way to achieve a diagnosis but for many people it is not viable and the options for management remain only conservative.

thanks Rappie. The osteopath is pretty good with finding soft tissue problems, I'm sure he cant work out everything but he's pretty amazing. I cannot afford an MRI and I still feel that an ex-ray might at least give him a bigger picture of what is causing Pucks pain. All my vet could suggest was rest and meloxicam, and it isn't helping. I believe there's something wrong with his neck/spine that needs actual fixing and I'm hoping the osteo can do it, or at least ease the problem. I realise it might be ongoing, like my own spine.