Certificate Iv In Companion Animal Services

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Yes I have a Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services.

There appear to be 3 main types of deliverers of this course:

1. Delta

2. various TAFE colleges

3. other providers, like Hanrob and Provet

Generally TAFEs are cheaper. As it's a nationally-defined course they can't deliver less than the course requires.

The Delta course is highly spoken of by Delta-afficionados, although I have met people who had been unable to complete the course or even get a list of what they had completed because they didn't submit 2 assignments.

I'd be tempted to compare prices and requirements before making a decision.

Speedy2

TAFE operates under the new "Smart and Skilled" system for their fees - which basically means that if you have a previous qualification equivalent to a Cert 3 or above (in ANY field), you will pay considerably more for any course you wish to do - regardless if that previous qualification is now obsolete or not... *sigh*

If you are employed or not on any Government based pension, you will also pay more for any course you wish to do.

Most of the private providers of courses that are the same as the TAFE ones are also covered by the Smart and Skilled syatem, but they can choose not to take on students that can't afford the maximum fee... they call it a "selection process due to popularity" of the said course, which basically means that you have buckley's of getting into their course if you can't pay the higher fee.

T.

It's supposed to deter the "professional students"... meaning that if you have qualifications to get a job, you are expected to use them to try to do so... *sigh*

I've run up against it myself when enrolling in TAFE to make a career change... had to pay a lot more for my Cert 2 course because, even though I'd been made redundant, Centrelink would not put me on their books until a month after the course started - meaning I had to pay a higher fee to enrol... and they will not refund me any of the money now that I AM officially unemployed in their eyes.

Then again, when I come to enrol in the Cert 3 course I need to do to complete the basics required for the career I now want, I'll be paying the MUCH cheaper rate for it... *grin*... but only if I do it through TAFE...

T.

Just finished my Delta Course...my Cert IV is in the mail, hopefully. It was hard and expensive but very interesting and well worth it. Took me 2.5 years. It would be hard if you were working full-time because the assignments take up a lot of time but they're pretty honest about the time requirement. Instructors were really good. It's well worth doing the Intro weekend to see what you think.