Standard Treatment For A Cut Foot Pad

Hi All

I have finally found why my evil hound has been limping on and off for the last day or so.

She's digging her bed right now so it can't hurt that much and it's not bleeding, there's no scab that I can see.

But she's made a bit of a slice in the back of her front left foot pad. Could have been digging and got a bit of broken glass or iron, or just jumped on something wrong.

So I'm thinking take her to the vet tomorrow to get it looked at but I'm wondering if I should bind it up with something easy to unwrap and put a baby sock on it now or just leave it as is...

When my dog did his, my vet advised me to leave it unwrapped to let it air, but also said some prefer to wrap to then keep it clean.

So maybe a cotton sock would be the best of both worlds.

Would love to know what others recommend :)

special gifted puppies they are for doing this to themselves.

At least I know it's not the shoulder again.

It's quite dry, no oozing, so I'm inclined to let it be except that she keeps treading on it the wrong way and I'm pretty sure that hurts like she'd wished she hadn't done that.

At the same time she's pretty good at ignoring it if there is something she wants - like access to a good smell or to yell at the school kids.

Have seen this often in my 40 years with dogs... with my own and at times when dogs in the pens might cut pads on wire or sticks....

Not a big deal, just they will limp when it hurts.... a bit like if a human has dry cracked heels.... no big issue just a bit sore.

I find regardless of whether you go to the vet and spend about $300 on vet fees, medications and bandages... it takes the same time as if you do nothing.

There is very low risk of any infection... and after about 2 weeks you see the pad kinda crystalising and by week 3 it seems almost healed.

If you have concerns it can be worth swishing the foot in water to wash out dirt and then dipping the foot into metholated spirits which helps dry the area to reduce any risks.

I don't bother cutting off any flap as generally it will dry up and fall off just from running around.