Breeding Age For First Mating

I read recently that some repro vets recommend the best mating time for first time mothers is on their 2nd head (after 12 months of course) but for the life of me i cant find this information again .....Can anyone enlighten me about this ???

i understand that everyone has thier own opinions on breeding ages and so forth but i was wondering if anyone can help me regarding my question ??

thanks

It depends on the individual dogs suitability re maturity & age.

The rules are that some dogs must be over 18 months old & others are allowed to be mated after 12 months of age.

Check the individual code of ethics for your breed with your canine association.

Most dogs have their 2nd season after they are a year old anyway.

I don't think its a good idea to leave it until 3 or 4 for a first litter, it can be a bit harder on the dog but many are perfectly ok at this age just as some are fine being mated after the 12 months.

Larger breed dogs do take longer to mature than smaller ones.

I don't think there is medically an optimum age for a first successful litter, within reason of course. If you feel your bitch is physically fit & developed & of allowable age then you must use your common sense & make the decision.

Yep, providing the bitch is physically capable the second season is recommended. Bitches are young, in their prime and ready.

You can mate an SBT after 12 months, there are breeds listed in the prescribed schedule but the SBT isn't one of them. You hear all sorts of things, wait until they are two, wait until they are three.

I personally given the choice and within the codes put bitches into whelp as soon as they are old enough, if I think they can cope and will do well.

Robert Hutchinson a leading repo vet in the US (at least he used to be if not so now) used to say this was the best way for the health of the bitch. He also went on to say the bitch should be mated on each season within reason as each season the bitch had without being mated had potential to cause uterine problems.

I always wait for the second season, with a Frenchie a lot of them do not come into their first season until they are about 12 months old then cycle every eight and a half to nine months, so this means that my girls are almost two years of age before their first litters.

I would never mate them on their first season as they are still puppies in their minds, amazing what that extra time does in them maturing and well and truly can cope with a litter they are fabulous Mothers.

Second season for a Stafford, do back-to-back then rest one season and breed her again if the first two litters were good, otherwise spay.

This is the advice old-timers always used to follow and even though I haven't done it for ages (10+ years) when I did, the bitches had pups naturally, were great mothers and had very few problems.

Of course now with so many Staffords about this might be good for the bitch but pretty much a disaster for the pups needing the best of homes.