Pet Mince - Feeding A Pup

Hi,

I am picking up my pup who is a rescue great dane x german shorthair pointer and I currently feed my 9 year old Boxer Pet mince with veggies, oats and salmon oil. I was just wondering if this is ok for a 12 week old puppy?

Thank you

Depends a lot on which half of it's pedigree the pup has taken after (GD x GSP is a bit mind boggling LOL) but personally I don't think so

IMO a pup which has the potential be a huge adult, needs to be fed a non-commercial diet designed by a giant breed expert or fed a quality commercial diet intended for giant breed puppies.

You only have one chance to get those legs and joints right, and if you get it wrong in a giant breed you have major issues.

Pop in to the Great Dane thread, the experts live in there :)

It's not a good diet for you adult dog either.

What would you recommend ?

Are you able to add some bones to the diet?

Sorry I forgot to say I feed him chicken necks with the food and then chicken caucuses (not sure if the caucuses are ok for puppies though)

Sorry I forgot to say I feed him chicken necks with the food and then chicken caucuses (not sure if the caucuses are ok for puppies though)

My Dane cross girl devoured chicken carcasses from a few months old with ease, didn't like feeding necks or wings as she was big enough to try and swallow them whole. Freeze the carcass so pup takes its time with it.

My Dane cross girl devoured chicken carcasses from a few months old with ease, didn't like feeding necks or wings as she was big enough to try and swallow them whole. Freeze the carcass so pup takes its time with it.

Will do thank you :) Ive been doing some research would it be best if I add eggs and some organ meat (only once of twice a week) to her food to help ?

For a dog that is likely to be very large I would feed it as per a Giant Breed puppy with the correct phos:calc ratios, commercial diets that would fit would be:

Holistic Select Large Breed Puppy

Canidae Large Breed Puppy

Canidae All Life Stages

Wellness Large Breed Puppy

Black Hawk Fish & Potato - this is an adult kibble so you will need to at least double what the feed guide says and then increase/decrease going forward depending on what your puppy looks like.

There is Dane / Dane x Australian Training & Health group here: https://www.facebook...raining.health/

We generally do not suggest you feed a giant breed (or potential to be) a raw diet unless you are experienced at doing so as you will need to know how to manage potential growth issues such as knuckling over, HOD etc.

What you are feeding your adult isn't suitable so I think you'll need to spend some more time researching raw diets.

Edited by sas

To be honest if you have your puppy on a good quality kibble with the correct calcium and phosphate ratio then she'll be getting a complete diet and the right amounts of different nutrition, the occasional egg or organ meat wouldn't go astray as a treat but there's no need to supplement with them smile.gif

I'd definitely advise sticking to diet advice from the great dane rescue site as they know what they're talking about and it's important to get their growth right, especially since she might not have been getting an ideal diet prior to you getting her. If you're not sure exactly what to be feeding her it might be best to stick to a giant/large breed appropriate kibble, at least until she's out of the rapid growth stage so that you know she's getting the right amounts of everything and grows at a nice rate.

I'm no expert though, just going from my own experience raising my girl and what I learnt from that.

eta. posted at the same time but sas knows what they're talking about

Edited by Terri S.

Thanks for your help Ill have a look into the ones recommended and speak to my vet aswell.

Thank you :)

Your Vet is likely to recommend whatever they have in the clinic that is probably expensive and full of fillers.

Thanks for your help Ill have a look into the ones recommended and speak to my vet aswell.

Your Vet is likely to recommend whatever they have in the clinic that is probably expensive and full of fillers.

Agreed. I can tell you now it will be one of Eukaneubra, Royal Canin, or Hills. All low quality grain heavy foods with low digestibility.

Agreed. I can tell you now it will be one of Eukaneubra, Royal Canin, or Hills. All low quality grain heavy foods with low digestibility.

In your opinion. ALL kibble has fillers. Until such time as it is proven that vegetables and lentils make better fillers than grains, I'll continue to feed Royal Canin - a food highly rated by a lot of sighthound people, including me.

Less than 10 posts here and you're already forum members how wrong we've all got it. Interesting.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

In your opinion. ALL kibble has fillers. Until such time as it is proven that vegetables and lentils make better fillers than grains, I'll continue to feed Royal Canin - a food highly rated by a lot of sighthound people, including me.

Less than 10 posts here and you're already telling a bunch of folk how wrong we've all got it. Interesting.

It is interesting. I don't recall telling anyone they were wrong about anything. Maybe you're just overly sensitive.

You can feed whatever you want. But hey, don't just take my word for it:

http://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/dry-dog-food/royal-canin/

So the main ingredient in Royal Canin is in fact Maize, which has very low digestibility for canines.

Edited by BullBreedBoy

It is interesting. I don't recall telling anyone they were wrong about anything. Maybe you're just overly sensitive.

Or you have a conveniently short memory.

Unfortunately there are plenty on here and elsewhere that don't know what they're doing, don't understand the biology of canines and mix up home brew foods without understanding the importance of balance.

http://www.petfoodre...od/royal-canin/

So the main ingredient in Royal Canin is in fact Maize, which has very low digestibility for canines.

I can feed whatever I want yes. And I feed what a lot of knowledgeable people feed and my dogs do very well on it. There is more than one way to feed a dog a decent balanced diet and it pays to bear that in mind when advising on nutrition.

Royal Canin lists is products by weight after dehydration - a different approach to some other companies. Nonetheless, if people are whelping and raising happy healthy dogs on it, they must be doing something right. And in my breed, that's quite a few people.

Are you breeding and raising sound healthy Bullmastiffs on your preferred diet? If you are then good luck to you - they are not the easiest of breeds to raise sound.

Or you have a conveniently short memory.

Unfortunately there are plenty on here and elsewhere that don't know what they're doing, don't understand the biology of canines and mix up home brew foods without understanding the importance of balance.

http://www.petfoodre...od/royal-canin/

I can feed whatever I want yes. And I feed what a lot of knowledgeable people feed and my dogs do very well on it. There is more than one way to feed a dog a decent balanced diet and it pays to bear that in mind when advising on nutrition.

Royal Canin lists is products by weight after dehydration - a different approach to some other companies. Nonetheless, if people are whelping and raising happy healthy dogs on it, they must be doing something right. And in my breed, that's quite a few people.

Are you breeding and raising sound healthy Bullmastiffs on your preferred diet? If you are then good luck to you - they are not the easiest of breeds to raise sound.

So that post wasn't directed at anyone in particular was it!?

Anyways I try to share my canine nutrition knowledge with people with the best of intent. I have no interest in picking fights or offending. I stand by the above post, there is some diabolically bad advice on nutrition on this and other forums in my opinion.

I'm not a Bullmastiff breeder, I breed Bull Terriers in small numbers. I have a Bullmastiff named Baxter who is a joy to have around.

I don't doubt your dog's are doing fine on Royal Canin. I just firmly believe they could do better. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I think diet is what your dog does well on so if your 9 year old is fit & healthy generally the diet is ok for him.

I wouldn't feed raw pet meat to any dog but I think cooked is fine.

Every person has their own opinion on what is the best diet including every manufacturer of commercial dog food. They all claim theirs is is the best, meets all nutritional needs etc.

I think your pup will be fine on what you feed your older dog but to be sure its getting all it needs I would mix in a little puppy dry with the meat & a little calcium powder.

Check calcium need amount on goggle & then work out how much is in what you feed.

They have food charts info all over the net.

Many dogs did survive to ripe all age when there was only one brand of commercial dog food & they were fed like family with an odd bone. Its all so technical & scientific now that people get confused & I doubt dogs are living any longer or are many healthier overall.