Walking Dandruff

Unfortunately my household has a case of walking dandruff, verified by the vet under the microscope. Everyone has been dosed with Advocate, all kennels and bedding cleaned and the house vacuumed thoroughly. The itching has improved by about 70% but they are still itching.

Has anyone else had this? Does it take time, repeat treatments of advocate or other treatment to resolve?

I am pondering how I got it and wonder if the fact that my neighbourhood is overrun with wild rabbits could have anything to do with it? I often see them in my front yard

One of my cats picked this up at a cat show in the mid-90s and at that time the treatment was ivermectin and all pets were treated. I also found that bathing the cats in a medicated shampoo helped the skin irritation.

I also had a reaction to the mites where they burrowed into the soft areas of my body when holding the cats (eg, inside arms, stomach etc). The itching was incredible but fortunately they die quickly when off the pet, however, my reaction took nearly a week to subside.

Google tells me that rabbits can be hosts to some varieties.

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Cheyletiellosis/Treatment.aspx

Yep rabbits carry walking dandruff caused by fur mites. My angora rabbit had it when I adopted her from the RSPCA.

Advocate is really good it's main ingredient is Moxidectin which is in the Ivermectin family, we also use Moxi to keep bird mites under control on the chooks.

Unfortunately if there are that many wild rabbits around you will probably have to use the Advocate permanantly or the mites will be back.

I would also be bug bombing the house.

Oh another thing they seem to cause much more intense itching than fleas do, can you ask the vet for suitable antihistamines.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow