How Long Can A Dog Stay In A Crate For Safely?

Willowlane

The OP is not talking about a long term commitment to crating a dog all day every day. She is after a workable solution to an identified problem. One such solution is that the dog is crated for 5.5 hrs a day. In that position, it is exactly what I would be doing and I can tell you right now our dogs would cope with it just fine.

At no point has she mentioned that the dog sleeps in a crate or is confined for long periods at any other time of the day. Presumably the dog will be active when someone is home and is not going to spend its life locked up.

ETA: At no point has it been mentioned that the crate is so small the dog cannot even stand up in it. Forgive me for seeing the best in people, but I am assuming the crate will be big enough for the dog to stand up, stretch out and turn around if need be.

I was personally responding to the poster who said crating for 8 hours was fine.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I feel very much attacked in this post rather than helped and would much rather run away from my accusers than return and ask for help again but for the sake of my dog here I am.

She has a crate 3 times too big for her to start with (shes only a cocker spaniel and she loves her crate, she spends no other time in it except those 5.5hrs, even at night she sleeps on our bed the rest of the time is outside or cuddles and sleeping next to mum. I DONT want to do this and it would be a complete short term measure until we could stabilise the problem.

So for now im going to leave this discussion and just ring Steve and seek his professional advice on the matter.

Please try not to be so judgemental people.

Great job folks..... My dogs are crated every night for around 8 hours, they cope perfectly fine so this sounds very acceptable to me. Don't let the negative nellies get you down.

Overnight crating is very different to going to work and leaving your dog in its crate for 8 hours which someone in this thread felt was acceptable...it is not.

Guest donatella

Unfortunately I feel very much attacked in this post rather than helped and would much rather run away from my accusers than return and ask for help again but for the sake of my dog here I am.

She has a crate 3 times too big for her to start with (shes only a cocker spaniel and she loves her crate, she spends no other time in it except those 5.5hrs, even at night she sleeps on our bed the rest of the time is outside or cuddles and sleeping next to mum. I DONT want to do this and it would be a complete short term measure until we could stabilise the problem.

So for now im going to leave this discussion and just ring Steve and seek his professional advice on the matter.

Great job folks..... My dogs are crated every night for around 8 hours, they cope perfectly fine so this sounds very acceptable to me. Don't let the negative nellies get you down.

Overnight crating is very different to going to work and leaving your dog in its crate for 8 hours which someone in this thread felt was acceptable...it is not.

Not at all, get a hamster if this is the life you can provide an animal

Not at all, get a hamster if this is the life you can provide an animal

Yep, but I don't even think a hamster deserves that :flame:

I think it's a totally different situation.

If a dog is at real risk unless crated for an amount of time due to serious injury that's completely different to a healthy active dog being crated for 8 hours a day for its owners convenience.

I don't really think they're comparable circumstances.

I also wouldn't be crating any dog 24/7 unless it was literally unable to move. It would have to be a VERY serious injury.

Dogs wouldn't understand the difference though...

Personally I am relatively new to crates but my dogs choose to sleep in them all the time. The doors are open and they snooze the day away in them.

Guest donatella

Because you need to minimise the dogs movement for the best chance at full recovery.

Why do you need to minimise movement to control barking? Mine would happily bark in a crate if the stimulation were there. Sure provide an open crate an a spaced off area if this is a safe zone but why cage them out to control this? Sorry doesnt make sense to me.

I don't like crates unless they're for specific and temporary periods of time. While most people who regularly crate dogs are sensible enough to know the limits of restricting an animal to a cage, many do not. I also worry about the average Jo Public becoming desensitised to crates and abusing the use of them, wittingly or unwittingly.

I have only ever crated a cat or dog when it was necessary for recovery, safety or transport.

I'm not convinced that 6 hours in a crate as a temporary solution whilst barking is addressed is the crime it's being made out to be.

It's a temporary solution as part of a behaviour modification program. Granted there may be other solutions that this owner can talk over with k9 pro but it's amazing to me that my crating a dog 24/7 for months for a physical issue is fine and a temporary 6 hours is a no go.

I do NOT agree with crating for long periods for owner convenience but don't think that is what's happening here.

I'm not convinced that 6 hours in a crate as a temporary solution whilst barking is addressed is the crime it's being made out to be.

It's a temporary solution as part of a behaviour modification program. Granted there may be other solutions that this owner can talk over with k9 pro but it's amazing to me that my crating a dog 24/7 for months for a physical issue is fine and a temporary 6 hours is a no go.

I do NOT agree with crating for long periods for owner convenience but don't think that is what's happening here.

I think it kinda diverted from this when someone said crating for 8 hours when you went to work is ok.