Agility Breakthrough!

I just have to share my excitement/happiness.

I've been trialling with Zeus and Kirah since the beginning of the year in both ADAA and ANKC but have really started getting down on myself. I compete only for fun but I've been disappointed in Zeus for a while.

For those who don't know, Zeus is my intrepid explorer Beagle x JRT who is so independent and smart that he follows his nose, which have, in the past taken him on epic adventures across a 4 laned highway to McDonald's. :/ We've worked with Steve of K9 Pro to no avail (mostly through my own lack of regular and consistent training) so he's no longer allowed off lead at this one particular dog park, which is the McDonald's culprit.

Zeus LOVES and thrives in agility; he's a beautiful, lean and agile dog with the build and smarts of a kelpie. We've been in training for nearly a year but I've been struggling with his focus and nose following. As soon as he's leash/collar free, it's so long mum I'm following my nose.

Eventually I managed to gain his focus and he's awesome at training; trialling has been another adventure. I'd have him lined up for the first jump beautifully, release him and it's bye mum! I'm exploring the ring, smelling the surrounds, finding the canteen, checking on other dogs etc.

Well ...

Not yesterday!

Zeus didn't place or earn any qualies, but I don't care.

He DIDN'T RUN OFF ONCE!! Not once in any of his 4 runs and I couldn't be prouder!! I was waiting for him to vanish, hell I EXPECTED him to, but he sure showed me!!

It's like something has finally clicked for us! I'm not expecting him to never run off again, that's a wee bit unrealistic, but I feel so much more confident in that my training, OUR training, is paying off.

I'm so proud of my gorgeous boy and he's just blown me away!!

Totally a Saturday to remember!!!

Congratulations! It is a great feeling when they stay with you in the ring when you have been having issues with them running off :)

I think I saw you and your dog (but it didn't click that it was you until just now!) at the Sutherland trial? I remember seeing a lovely lean Beagle type dog that I didn't recognise

Congratulations! It is a great feeling when they stay with you in the ring when you have been having issues with them running off :)

I think I saw you and your dog (but it didn't click that it was you until just now!) at the Sutherland trial? I remember seeing a lovely lean Beagle type dog that I didn't recognise

If the dog you saw buggered off away from the ring and was "yelled" at by a fat blonde chick then yep, that was us :laugh:

I was also with a very noisy little turd Aussie Terrier who had issues with the wobbly dog walk :laugh:

It was a fun trial but I didn't have much luck!

Thanks for the comments -- I'm still on such a high because of how Zeus went yesterday. I can't wait to get to training tomorrow and do more work!! :thumbsup:

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

That's great!

I remember seeing a beagle cross (cavalier I think?) at an adaa trial a few months ago.

She was quite naughty for most of her runs- typical beagle nose!

For the last run, they put Vicks under her nose and she ran beautifully and went clear!!!

Without the distractions of other smells she was able to focus really well.

That's great!

I remember seeing a beagle cross (cavalier I think?) at an adaa trial a few months ago.

For the last run, they put Vicks under her nose and she ran beautifully and went clear!!!

Omg people actually do that?! :eek:

That's great!

x 2 Poor bloody dog :( Given how sensitive their sense of smell is compared to ours :eek:

That's great!

x 2 Poor bloody dog :( Given how sensitive their sense of smell is compared to ours :eek:

I was surprised too but the dog didn't seem particularly bothered by it.

I've tried putting it around a wound to prevent licking but my dog just licked it off anyway.