Stay Loyal And Meals For Mutts Food

Hi just wandering if anyone on this forum feeds the stay loyal grainfree dog food or the meals for mutts duck and turkey grainfree food? if so what do make of the food and which one would be better for a dog prone to ear yeast ear infections and food allergies?

Stay loyal dog food

Ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Potato, Tapioca, Peas, Beans, Natural Chicken Flavouring, Sugar Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Marine Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Fruit and Berries, Vegetables, Green Tea, Rosemary, Garlic, Inulin, Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin Supplements (A ,D, E, K, B1, B3,B,.B6, B12, Biotin). Trace Mineral Supplements (Zinc, Iron, Copper, Manganese, Iodine, Selenium), Natural Antioxidants (Mixed Tocopherols and Rosemary Extract) Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Yucca, Taurine.

meals for mutts duck and turkey

INGREDIENTS:

Duck meat & Turkey meat, sweet potato, red lentils, seasonal vegetables, peas, alfalfa, natural fats and oils, omega 3, 6 & 9, yeast, garlic, kelp, vitamins A, C, D3, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, pantothenic acid, folacin, biotin and natural organic acids, plus minerals, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, copper, zinc, iron, manganese and iodine. Also contains Yucca Shidigera extract and natural flavours, and is preserved using natural vitamin E and rosemary extract.

Hello, whilst all my own dogs are fed fully raw, which I would say is the best diet for allergy prone dogs in my experience (particularly for bull breeds), I do feed stay loyal to the rescue dogs that come through here) the reason I do this is that it's highly likely that the dogs will be fed kibble once leaving here.

I think as far as kibble goes stay loyal is excellent, and is very effective at clearing up skin and other allergy issues, as well as putting some weight and condition onto underweight pound dogs.

I'm not familiar with the other food here, but from looking at the ingredients it's notable that stay loyal lists meat meal as it's primary ingredients whilst meals for mutts lists meat. If it's meat prior to cooking, which you would suspect it is then it's likely to fall down the list due to dehydration during cooking.

Anyways what breed dog and what are you feeding currently?

Meals for Mutts all the way here, I feed my allergy prone cats the feline version and they do so so well on it, you can really see the difference when they are fed something else.

If we didn't feed raw it's about the only one I wouldn't hesitate to give to my dogs too. We have supplemented with this in the past when we were going away etc and taking raw was hard. Really awesome stuff, and local made!

Having said that, as above depends what the dog is allergic too. Wouldn't be much good if it were turkey, for example. :)

Edited by Steph M

I don't know what Axel is allergic too as the vets here didn't do any tests. Breeder feed him optimum puppy and he came home with a ear infection, I then switched him to black hawk puppy which also caused a ear infection. He was also chewing his feet,chasing his tail and scratching. He is now been feed those big dog barf patties,raw bones and pet mince, Treats is cut up tasty cheese. The breeds of dogs I have here is 2 golden retrievers named Shelley and Axel, 1 whippet named Missy and 1 chihuahua named Rascal. It costs me over $200 every 2 weeks for a raw diet for all my dogs.

The problem you have is without knowing what your dog is allergic to you could be chopping & changing foods forever .

So i think you need to look at what hes been feed from day one & look at common foods .

Did the breeder just feed the dry or did they also add other stuff??

Chicken can cause many dogs massive issues .It could be the dairy from the cheese .

So its impossible to say yeah that is great without knowing what the food issue is .

Thats presuming it is food based .

BARF patties can mean nothing if the food trigger is in them .

Does he have mites?

The problem you have is without knowing what your dog is allergic to you could be chopping & changing foods forever .

So i think you need to look at what hes been feed from day one & look at common foods .

Did the breeder just feed the dry or did they also add other stuff??

Chicken can cause many dogs massive issues .It could be the dairy from the cheese .

So its impossible to say yeah that is great without knowing what the food issue is .

Thats presuming it is food based .

BARF patties can mean nothing if the food trigger is in them .

Does he have mites?

Breeder only feed optimum puppy. Vet did swabs of his ears both times it was a yeast ear infection. So I don't think it is mites. Since being feed this raw diet he hasn't had another yeast ear infection yet and the chewing of his feet,chasing of the tail and scratching has stopped.

Both are pretty good, better than Optimum. Stay Loyal is meat based, MFM arguably more a veggie-based kibble.

Allergies can be caused by a number of things. Grains are common culprits which means either of those two foods may help. Or it could be a protein source such as chicken (less likely).

I've reviewed both these brands on my website so have a read - http://www.petfoodreviews.com.au

Stay Loyal contains sugar beet pulp which in some dogs seems to aggravate a tendency to yeasty ears (this is something observed with hundreds of customers dogs over ten years, but not tested scientifically). M4M uses meat, which once processed will likely drop down the ingredients list (as opposed to a meal or a mix of meat and meal), so wouldn't be my first pick.

At one point I fed six adult St Bernards raw and it cost less than using dry food. If a dog does well that way, then although it is time consuming and needs some organisation, it will reap benefits in other ways (less vet visits for one).

Just a thought - have you tried Vets All Natural Complete mix? A 15kg bag is around $140 and makes up a heap of food when mixed with water and fresh meat. They also do a grain free now so might be worth investigating if you haven't already?

And as showdog says, unless you can work out what is the trigger, you may be wasting a lot of time and money trialling different products.

Sags

:)

Edited by Sagittarian

Axel is doing great on a raw diet. I'm just afraid if his getting enough nutrience etc from raw as he is only 22 weeks old, He eats 2 barf patties a day plus pet mince or a bone. He also gets some sardines and mackeral once or twice a week. I was also thinking about getting some coconut oil for them.

Axel is doing great on a raw diet. I'm just afraid if his getting enough nutrience etc from raw as he is only 22 weeks old, He eats 2 barf patties a day plus pet mince or a bone. He also gets some sardines and mackeral once or twice a week. I was also thinking about getting some coconut oil for them.

You'd be surprised how much he is getting, I think. :)

he would be getting plenty of nutrients :)

Possibly even more than on a cooked/dry food and most definitely in a more natural form.