Recovery Post Spaying

ajj_32

Hi all,

Getting my 5.5 month old Dalmatian pup spayed in a few weeks and was just wanting to know what to expect during the recovery?? How long will she be lethargic for? How long does the e collar need to on? Has anyone tried the Pro collar?? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Hi all,

Getting my 5.5 month old Dalmatian pup spayed in a few weeks and was just wanting to know what to expect during the recovery?? How long will she be lethargic for? How long does the e collar need to on? Has anyone tried the Pro collar?? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Usuually up and bouncing in hours.......I have never needed a collar on any of my post speying/caesar bitches........but I am usually around all the time........I try and avoid them jumping and getting wound wet, you will be given care instructions

My bitches are back up and running within 24 hours (not literally of course but they are bright and happy again very quickly).

You may find it's the awful e-collar that is cuasing her reluctance.

My dog was spayed recently (at 10 months) so this is my experience. The first night she was really groggy which made it worse with bumping in to things with the cone on. She ate a little but wasn't interested in drinking for at least 24 hours. I had her beside my bed for the first few nights so I could hear if she was moving around or upset. I also paid for extra pain killers as there was nothing extra provided.

The following day she had really perked up and as I was on annual leave (to keep an eye on her) I took the cone off unless I wasn't there. Due to the stitches being mid belly she couldn't reach them but was licking at areas where she had been shaved. If I said uhuh she did stop which was good. I also kept an eye on our other dog to make sure she wasn't licking at the wound (which she didn't).

Once she started feeling better I struggled to keep her quiet! She was inside for the first week unless I had her on lead to toilet and she was definitely stir crazy. I had the cone off after the first two days and she was fine from then on. The second week I let her come and go from the house but only to an outdoor area to toilet and sit in the sun etc. Once the stiches came out at 10 days the Vet said it was fine to work her up to normal exercise and she's been great every since.

Good luck with your girl :)

It will depend on what time they do the surgery as to how groggy she is for the night/next day.

If its early in the day they are usually fine the next day. If they are done later they can be groggy into the next day as well.

Food wise, its the anaesthetic that makes them feel a bit nauseous and they may not want to eat that evening or the next morning.

Having spaniels i have never had that issue :laugh:

You should keep her quiet until the stitches are out as running can pull the stitches around and cause the area to swell.

Leave the e-collar on overnight (as it is usually while you are sleeping that they will go at it!)

Some dogs dont need one, just see how bothered she is by the stitches.

Thanks so much everyone. It doesn't sound too bad at all. I think my problem will be keeping her quiet!! I think I'm going to have to give her some bones and let her eat them inside:) But I might get some extra pain medication just incase too.

Thanks again, I'm definitely feeling a lot more at ease now :)

Edited by ajj_32

Thanks so much everyone. It doesn't sound too bad at all. I think my problem will be keeping her quiet!!

Most likely you won't be able to keep her quiet. just try to keep her from going nutty crazy run-around bazerk and keep the incision dry and clean.

Mine have never bothered the incision and E-collars have been unnecessary.

Had one mess up the stitches, get infected, and have to go back for cleanout and stitching after doing some crawling on her belly in the dirt under the house.

Also had complications, once, with what I thought was an emergency spay (unwanted pregnancy). As it turned out, she wasn't preggers, but something was out with her hormones and the vet described her as "in season" (she wasn't . . . she had been in season 5-6 weeks prior). This resulted in formation of a blood-rich mass in her abdomen . . . which appeared to me as a lump. This got so big it pressed on her bladder and caused frequent urination. The vet monitored this with ultrasound. They had some concern that maybe the problem was that a sponge had somehow been left inside. The problem cleared with no treatment, though at one point they were talking like they might need to do surgery. She's been fine since, and never really acted sick.

Bottom line . . . there are occasional problems but they are rare. Monitor carefully.

she'll be fine.

Pups bounce back from surgery so much faster than older dogs... I never had any issues with any of the foster pups I had desexed... the biggest problem was keeping them from running around like mad things within hours of the surgery... grrr!

It got to the point where the vet nurses would snigger when they handed out the sage advice to "keep them quiet for a couple of days"... knowing full well that was never going to happen!

If your pup is done in the afternoon,she may still be a little dopey or quiet when you bring her home. Offer her a small amount of water, but don't let her guzzle it. Depending on how she seems, I'd offer her a small meal of something easy to swallow, she may have a bit of a sore throat from the tube they put down the throat during surgery. If she keeps that down for an hour, then offer her another small meal.

All things going normally, she should be pretty much 100% her normal self by the next morning (at the latest) - and then you can have fun trying to make sure she doesn't do anything silly like jumping on and off the furniture... *grin*

T.