What Mulch When Puppy Likes To Eat Wood/bark/etc?

Staycalm

Sorry if this has been discussed here before but I've not been on for ages and today I just haven't managed to find much when searching for related topics.

I have an 18week old lab/beagle/kelpie who just loves to chew everything and eat it. We've had to throw a lot of toys out as it is clear that he loves to pull off material, threads, rope, etc and eat it. Outside he loves biting into twigs and wood, especially the old rotting timber left from a garden bed. We have been cleaning the yard up like crazy and the next step is to lay down weed matting and about 3mx3 mulch.

What mulch should we get? I know not to get anything chemically treated or dyed but there is a choice in the size of the mulch as well as different types (pine vs Eucy). I just want him not to make himself sick.

Do puppies grow out of this or can I just blame his breed mix? I've lived with a lab before and she would eat almost anything in reach, even as an adult. Fun times :laugh:

In my experience, rotting wood is harmless. No splinters. I wouldn't worry about it. The puppies I've had don't like bark, so it may be good. Avoid pebbles. A friend of mine used them and when she took her pup in for Xrays there were pebbles here and there throughout his digestive tract. I've heard of sticks being a problem, but I think it's pretty uncommon. Mostly stick problems come about when someone is playing fetch and gets the puppy all hyped up. Then the puppy gets a stick lodged in its mouth or throat.

Edited by sandgrubber

I put pea straw down, about a biscuit thick (it naturally comes off in pads about 5 to 10cm thick) and those hold together really well until blackbird nesting season. So out the front I have pegged chicken wire over my pea straw over my rose beds.

I don't know why they prefer the straw around the rose and not the stuff from the decaying bale next to the fence which I used to top up the roses.

so that's chicken wire - stops it going round your garden.

For chewing puppy, stuffed and frozen kongs (the black ones). Or I sometimes bring home a fresh and green branch off a gum tree or sometimes old and soft drift wood from the beach. Being careful that it is tree like - curvy and unprocessed and not like permapine (super toxic).

I shouldn't ...but ... LOL What a mix!!!!

:)

Ok ... perhaps make him a dig pit - full of sand /clean straw /kongs/ big bones /nylabones and deer antlers? That is HIS spot to play . It needs to be big enough for him to stand in & dig in several places ..perhaps 1.5 metre X 2 metres?

And deep enough to get a decent dig ;)

I would not bother with weedmat just yet ..Imagination is painting images of a very satisfied puppy after pulling it all up/out, and dragging it 'round the yard :o

He's not so bad. Just normal puppy. Our other dog is Kelpie/Border Collie and she's extremely crusie. I'm leaving a part of the garden that's got loose sand, rotting sleepers and other stuff that all our animals like to explore.

And I think that laying weed matting is probably asking for trouble. Hmmmm. Might need more chicken wire... :thumbsup: