Dog Parks Vent / Discussion / Etiquette Thread

Simply Grand

Hi Alphabet - is there a facebook thing that the Victorians could share.

We need to be getting not-dog-savvy people aware.

Tho there is one hazard to teaching people better skills and the rules in this area.

They get pissed off when they see other people not following them.

Mrs RB - You can look up the business Facebook... "Alfoxton Dog Centre" you are most welcome to share the info and anyone is welcome to email and I can forward the form and booking slip if needed. If there is a demand we aim to run these workshops every month with different skill levels and provide the chance to build stronger and stronger skills. We can work with people who are general dog owners but also dog competitors or dog professions for e.g.. Have had enquiries from a few dog walkers who wish to attend to build their skills to deal with different hazards.

We teach people how to deal with many different scenarios.... we operate with different paddocks all 6 foot high cyclone fencing and can start out at the pace that works for the individual.

One big objectives is to create discussion for methods of how to deal with people who don't follow the rules... It is more about teaching people how to foolproof themselves and their dogs so that they can cope when things DON'T go according to plans...

Even those who might have dogs who are likely to be Dog Aggressive and would not take their dog to a park.... might find they can learn some ways to avoid bad situations or deal with the unexpected.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big objectives is to create discussion for methods of how to deal with people who don't follow the rules... It is more about teaching people how to foolproof themselves and their dogs so that they can cope when things DON'T go according to plans...

Even those who might have dogs who are likely to be Dog Aggressive and would not take their dog to a park.... might find they can learn some ways to avoid bad situations or deal with the unexpected.

Now that is something that appeals to me, in our on-lead zones and walking down the street it's the ones breaking the rules with their dogs off lead that are the cause of most of our stress. It takes time to get this dog bomb proof!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went to the dog park close to where I am staying in Sydney. First time for us. There were 5 dogs there when we arrived. One of the owners came and introduced herself and all the dogs.

There were friendly greetings from the dogs.

We went for a wander around to check out the facilities with the other Foxie in tow. The other dogs went off and did their own thing.

The young whippet wanted to play and was barking and play bowing. His owner said she was taking him home as they had been there for a while and she didn't want Fern's first experience ruined.

It was a positive hour or so. Be interesting to see what the one at home is like.

If I walked with head phones I reckon the dogs would have got squashed this morning as a car zoomed out of their driveway, straight across the path without looking. I heard the car rather than seeing it. The driver looked a bit shocked when she finally looked my way!