Insurance Premium Hikes

Mrs Rusty Bucket

The main reasons I have if are for snake bites ($2000+) Orthopedic work ($2300 for the last one) and major stitch ups. These things are the biggest potential issues I face with snake bites being well up there. I like to know it is a grab the dog and bolt scenario not a oh crap can we afford it scenario if it comes to a snake bite. One after hours stitch up was $500 for a wound that was around 5cm long and a simple skin suture up.

I'm with Pet Insurance Australia... $200 per condition excess and they only pay 80% - max limit on illness is $15,000, on accident is $8,000 and only $2600 on Cruciate...

Usually when I ring up for quotes elsewhere eg Medibank - they quote higher even with a 25% discount. Presumably I get some credit for having insured from puppy (dog is 7 yo now) with PIA that I don't get with the others.

It's not like car or people insurance where they offer no claim discounts and life time premium somethings (tho my health insurance goes up a lot each year too).

And it's not at all like house insurance, ie the multiplier between premium and max payout is much much better. I think I've claimed once on that. And the health insurance has been totally worth it after two knee ops.

I pay for insurance for 3 of my own dogs (because we travel a lot) as well as 2 for my mum (she's on a pension).

She was considering telling me to cancel hers as she felt guilty about the cost. Not a week later her dog was diagnosed with a fungal infection called Cryptococcus. Since late August she's spent more than $3000 on treatment which Bow Wow has refunded 80% with no issues. She may have been forced to make a difficult decision had she not had the insurance. And with the online claim option she has the refund in less than a week.

It's literally been a life saver. Treatment will be going on for a while with no guarantees as it's a nasty infection but it's a relief for her that she can treat.

It's going to be interesting to see the premiums when renewal time comes around.

Edited by kdf

I too am with PIA. I had 3 of my kids insured and this year when I received their renewals, they has all gone up significantly, and I hadn't made a claim for 2 of them, so I opted to cancel 2 out of the 3 policies.

I opted to keep one of them, she had thyroid issues and I insured my baby as I like to cover them for at least the first 12 months until I know about any underlying conditions, but it is certainly getting tough for those of us with more than the usual number of dogs.

We are with Petplan and whilst the premiums are expensive they have paid out an awful lot on our girl, I was trying to add it up the other day, I should pull her file and check properly. I know it is close to $30,000.00 and rising. She has dropped to 80% cover now as she is a bit older but it is still a big help. There is no way we would have put aside the amount needed for her treatment by just putting the premiums in an account.

On Petplan - I pay roughly $40 a month - have had it since we got him.

they pay back 100% of all vet bills until he reaches the age of 8 then it changes to the standard 80%. $100 excess - this increases to $150 when he reaches 8 also.

fingers crossed we've never had to use it so we've spent $2.5k over the last 5 years for nothing, well not nothing, for peace of mind and I'm happy to keep paying it really.

I pay for insurance for two cats, and two dogs.

I've made one claim for one of my cats, and the amount I got back was almost 10 years worth of premiums for him (longer than he will probably even live!). And 3 years of premiums for all four of the pets.

To save the amount I would have needed for his treatment, saving just his premiums per month - I'd be saving for almost 19 years.

Insurance is most definitely worth it in my opinion.

My cat that cannot be insured due to existing health issues, was blocked a few months ago, and needed emergency surgery. Thankfully, I was well looked after by my work, and the surgeon and I have a second job so I could go ahead. His surgery and aftercare was over $8000 (not discounted). That was for 4 days of care - 4 days. If I had insurance, it would have been only $1600 from my own pocket, the amount I would have gotten back would be 17 years worth of premiums.

If I wasn't in the fortunate situation I am in, I could not have possibly afforded that (whilst still paying off a loan for previous vet bills before I was insured) and my cat would have had to have been euthanised.

I no longer see pet insurance as a luxury, but a necessity. When you see pets put to sleep every single day, because owners cannot afford treatment... it's just heartbreaking.

they pay back 100% of all vet bills until he reaches the age of 8 then it changes to the standard 80%. $100 excess - this increases to $150 when he reaches 8 also.

fingers crossed we've never had to use it so we've spent $2.5k over the last 5 years for nothing, well not nothing, for peace of mind and I'm happy to keep paying it really.

...excess is now according to their website always $150: $150(Up to 8 years)... $150+20%(8-10 years)... $150+35%(10+ years;

however, they also include 'third party liability'...that is something other dog insurances won't cover?...I would pay between $43.19 (Essential) and $65.38 (Ultimate) p.m....not the cheapest insurance, but considering the package the best value I found so far...

...excess is now according to their website always $150: $150(Up to 8 years)... $150+20%(8-10 years)... $150+35%(10+ years;

however, they also include 'third party liability'...that is something other dog insurances won't cover?...I would pay between $43.19 (Essential) and $65.38 (Ultimate) p.m....not the cheapest insurance, but considering the package the best value I found so far...

don't know if it's because I had a pre existing policy - because I just called and my excess is still only $100. I'm on the Classic 2 policy - second most comprehensive.

...the area where you / I live will play a role too, maybe the vets in QLD are cheaper than here in the Illawarra :D ...the classic 2 would cost me $726 p.a...but that includes the third party liability (not included in the PIA) and the 100% reimbursement; on a $3,000 invoice that's alone $600 I would have to pay out of my own pocket if I would go with PIA as they only reimburse 80%.

From the pet plan page.

Pe tplan Austra lasia Pty Ltd ABN 64 069 468 542 AFSL No. 245663 is the sole Administrator of our Policies. Petp lanĀ® is a Registered Trade Mark, products sold under this Trade Mark in Australia are sold exclusively by Pet plan Au stralasia Pty Ltd under Licence to Pe tplan UK Ltd. Insurer: Al li anz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL No. 234708 2 Market St, Sydney, NSW, 2000.

I've had problems with the A .-. z insurance company not paying out what my (car) insurance premium covered. So I don't do business with them now.

I've read a few people have the same kind of problem with pet insurance with them so it's good to see that that's not true for everyone.

I'd rather pay a higher excess or co-payment and get a cheaper premium. I figure people going to insurance companies for things I think ought to be self covered or not covered (no possible improvement in quality of life), just makes it expensive for all the rest of us.