Dog Breeder Found Guilty Of Cruelty

Rebanne

...it is strange how some printed words that make a law makes good or bad people; I grew up in Germany where docking was banned in 1998 - I never saw a Doberman or Boxer while living in Germany with a tail, now I 'know' all these breeders and / or owners who docked the tail / cropped the ears were 'criminals' and no dog lovers at all...so dog lovers must have been a really rare species before 1998...

I wonder what will happen with all these dog owners / dog lovers in a few years who have desexed their dogs ... will they be 'criminals' in a few years too?...as they would be already if they lived in Norway?...

Edited by Willem

...it is strange how some printed words that make a law makes good or bad people; I grew up in Germany where docking was banned in 1998 - I never saw a Doberman or Boxer while living in Germany with a tail, now I 'know' all these breeders and / or owners who docked the tail / cropped the ears were 'criminals' and no dog lovers at all...so dog lovers must have been a really rare species before 1998...

I wonder what will happen with all these dog owners / dog lovers in a few years who have desexed their dogs ... will they be 'criminals' in a few years too?...as they would be already if they lived in Norway?...

I think the whole point of banning docking and cropping is that it was (at least - here in Oz, in a lot of cases) done in horrible circumstances. We had a foxie in my family for at least 25 years and have had a few litters of different breeds over the years - I have very clear memories of my mother docking some foxie pups tails with some kitchen shears and clotting them with corn starch. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it - then and now - but that was the way she had always done it, and her father before her and she firmly believed "that foxies needed cropped tails". Grandfather was a bit of a bush vet in his own right. I'm sure mum and grandad weren't alone. I'm sure others did it in more humane ways.

On a similar theme - my Aunt's last foxie with a docked tail had hers done so short she couldn't sit properly her entire life (not done by a fmaily member - but by the dogs "breeder")

Now - if we were still desexing pets / found someone to be desexing pets the way my grandfather did - head in a gumboot and a knife serialized in some alcohol I'd hope we'd call them criminal.

It's called progress and it's not always bad. I have nothing against tail docking if it's done correctly, in a clean surgical environment - but I also think people - in general on the whole will take a mile given an inch. Allow it - but only if it's one at a vet - some arse will try to save a dollar by doing the butchering at home. That's human nature unfortunately - which is why I support a full ban.

Also I love love love having a dog with a tail - Scottie is my first foxie with one and I love it.

But hey - that's just my opinion - we're all welcome to have one

I can see them breeding few litters now with tails and ears to cover their costs.

Slap on the wrist, thats all that is.

I grew up in a country with cropped and docked dogs and we never had issues, vets did.

Here being illegal it only asks for dramas and butchering in back sheds by inexperienced idiots.