Bee Sting..

doxieowner

Hi everyone (this is going to be a long one)

So last night (around 7 pm) my fat mini dashie was stung by a bee. Once I got home I noticed his lips- head was swollen a lot. His right eye was barely open with the swelling and he had what I assume where hives covering his ears, head and a bit under and around his eyes. He was drinking and breathing without issues but dragged his face all over the floor. Of course I panicked and rang the E-vet. She said to give him a quarter tablet of telfast or similar and to ice the area. The swelling was mostly over his cheeks(?) and a few bumps on his nose and eyes.

When he rolled over last night I found a little red patch under his chest between his legs and what looked like a bees stinger (removed). His belly had red bumps on it but they have cleared. I also found two lots of vomit last night and gums where normal pink. The area stung didn't seem to bee THAT swosllen in comparison to his face.

I gave him the Telast and iced his face and the swelling went down a fair bit over the next two hours and his eye opened up more. This morning hives are gone and his eye is almost completely open (kind of a lazy eye look). But his lips are still swollen. Definitely not as bad as last night but still noticeable. He is playing with his rocks (he is obsessed) and quite happy in him self other than the swelling.

My question is how long does it usually take for the swelling to go? Is it just the left over of last night?

I have never had a dog stung before so have no idea about this. Would he be clear from anaphylactic shock? Vet said all she would do is give him an antihistemsine (sp?)

Also not a vet but if was me I'd give him another dose of telfast and keep an eye on him. I'd say there's not much the vet can do unless he becomes compromised in anyway

also find whatever is attracting bees in your backyard and get rid of it

usually if a dog (or human) is allergic enough to get anaphylactic shock - they swell up very fast and airways swell shut in minutes... you don't get long.

But if a dog (or human) gets a bad reaction to a bee sting or a big dose ie the sting is not removed straight away... and then they get another sting... they can be at risk of anaphylactic shock from the second dose...

Anaphylaxis can occur within minutes – the average is around 20 minutes after exposure to the allergen. Symptoms may be mild at first, but tend to get worse rapidly.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/anaphylaxis

For your dog - the antihistamine helps. And a second dose - 12 to 24 hours later (depending on which dose) can be helpful.

I got a bad wasp or ant sting - and the whole of my back of my knee blistered. When I finally figured out what to do about it - I was on antihistamines every day for about 4 days to get it back to normal. Was the worst itching ever.

My dog put her nose up a bee's bum one time - and I didn't notice until she started to look like a bull terrier, and then I checked for the sting - right in the centre of the top of her head between her nose and her eyes... removed it without squeezing the bulb bit, and iced her up which she wasn't thrilled about.

she still mistakes bees and wasps for blow flies. Fortunately she's pretty crap at catching any of them.

Hmm I didn't notice the stinger for awhile as he has a thing for spiders and bugs so it wasn't my first thought for a bee. It's been around 18hrs since. That's the trouble with him is there isn't much space between the ground and his ribcage so he probably squashed it.

When thistle was stung earlier this year she swelled up straight away. It took over 24 hours to go down and she had a small relapse at about 36 hour mark. The whole time every 2 hours or so she'd have a rash and hives pop up then go down. Fever the whole time, poor thing b

She got get antihistamines and cortisole shots at the vet and I was given pills to give her the next day, no matter how bad it got so she didn't overdose. My vet was very firm on that. Perhaps check with vet to ensure you don't unintentionally overdose?

When thistle was stung earlier this year she swelled up straight away. It took over 24 hours to go down and she had a small relapse at about 36 hour mark. The whole time every 2 hours or so she'd have a rash and hives pop up then go down. Fever the whole time, poor thing b

She got get antihistamines and cortisole shots at the vet and I was given pills to give her the next day, no matter how bad it got so she didn't overdose. My vet was very firm on that. Perhaps check with vet to ensure you don't unintentionally overdose?

I'm thinking I will hold off on a second dose of Telfast. He only needed a quarter last night and it really only is his cheeks now.

Can I also ask what symptoms she had at the 36hr mark? Sam hasn't had a rash or anything since the hives let but want to be prepared in case he relapses. Love her name btw!

Just keep checking his physical symptoms. My stafford girl got stung by something one night and came up all lumpy over her head. She was ok (I rang vet) and we didn't need to take her in or give her anything. But the goober got herself stung by the same thing the following night and had a terrible response to it. She ended up with vasculitis which is very uncomfortable and sort of scary as it can be a sign of other more serious issues. Her skin went a dark red/maroon colour and got hot and thick. Her ears were like three times their normal thickness. My vet picked it up quickly and treated it and we went around the yard removing any insect nests we could see. So as long as your boy is recovering from the sting - the swelling and discomfort is reducing, then things should be ok. If he develops other symptoms or the existing ones flare up I'd suggest you need to see the vet to get it under control.

I noticed everywhere I read it said the reaction second time round is often worse than the first. Has anyone had a dog react like this? All swelling has gone now but now I worry if it happens again if it will be worse. Troubles of living country is vets aren't close by.

I've only had one dog stung once so can't really comment there. However my own reaction to bee stings has gotten progressively worse, but the reaction I get also depends on how quickly and cleanly I can remove the sting. Maybe your doxie copped a full dose of venom?

I've sprayed out any clover or dandelion or anything else that flowers in my lawn so I can walk around barefoot without being worried about bee stings or the dogs being stung. My native trees still attract bees but they don't bother me or the dogs, even when I disturb them with the mower.

When thistle was stung earlier this year she swelled up straight away. It took over 24 hours to go down and she had a small relapse at about 36 hour mark. The whole time every 2 hours or so she'd have a rash and hives pop up then go down. Fever the whole time, poor thing.

Can I also ask what symptoms she had at the 36hr mark? Sam hasn't had a rash or anything since the hives let but want to be prepared in case he relapses. Love her name btw!

Sorry it's been so busy today I'm only getting on DOL now, hopefully your pup is okay - at that 36 mark one of her lips went slightly poofy (only noticeable cause i was looking for it. we suspect she ate a bee and there was an indent in her inner lip where sting may have been) and the red rash/hives went across her whole body again and she was all hot.

Vet said as long as they didn't turn into blisters to not worry so I just gave them a cold-rag wipe. They were especially visible on her tummy/underarms/inner ear/lady bits

I've got a picture from one of the first ones, each consecutive one was "worse" but the "wave" would arrive and go faster:

tumblr_nxa5duSWIn1qh8fino2_1280.jpg

By 48 hours she was in the clear, but I keep antihistamines and cortisol pills around for next time

Dunno how well you can see it, but see her skin has gone all red and is raised hives?

tumblr_nxa5duSWIn1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

The vet was strict on overdosing and it was the most happy/alert she'd been so I didn't give her more. But I think I could have. My main concern was all the swelling around her throat/face so with that down a rash wasn't so bad.

Edited by Thistle the dog

When thistle was stung earlier this year she swelled up straight away. It took over 24 hours to go down and she had a small relapse at about 36 hour mark. The whole time every 2 hours or so she'd have a rash and hives pop up then go down. Fever the whole time, poor thing.

Sorry it's been so busy today I'm only getting on DOL now, hopefully your pup is okay - at that 36 mark one of her lips went slightly poofy (only noticeable cause i was looking for it. we suspect she ate a bee and there was an indent in her inner lip where sting may have been) and the red rash/hives went across her whole body again and she was all hot.

Vet said as long as they didn't turn into blisters to not worry so I just gave them a cold-rag wipe. They were especially visible on her tummy/underarms/inner ear/lady bits

I've got a picture from one of the first ones, each consecutive one was "worse" but the "wave" would arrive and go faster:

tumblr_nxa5duSWIn1qh8fino2_1280.jpg

By 48 hours she was in the clear, but I keep antihistamines and cortisol pills around for next time

Dunno how well you can see it, but see her skin has gone all red and is raised hives?

tumblr_nxa5duSWIn1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

The vet was strict on overdosing and it was the most happy/alert she'd been so I didn't give her more. But I think I could have. My main concern was all the swelling around her throat/face so with that down a rash wasn't so bad.

I think he will be okay, the swelling has gone completely now. That second photo of her leg is exactly how his was all over his belly.

I've only had one dog stung once so can't really comment there. However my own reaction to bee stings has gotten progressively worse, but the reaction I get also depends on how quickly and cleanly I can remove the sting. Maybe your doxie copped a full dose of venom?

I've sprayed out any clover or dandelion or anything else that flowers in my lawn so I can walk around barefoot without being worried about bee stings or the dogs being stung. My native trees still attract bees but they don't bother me or the dogs, even when I disturb them with the mower.

I think he got the full dose, it would have been at least an hour before I found the stinger.