Enlarged Prostate

i have a dog that has just been diagnosed with a slightly enlarged prostate. never had one before

first option was an injection which would have made him temp sterile and this wasnt an option for me at the time as i pan to use him soon and he is co owned and i would hate for him to end up infertile as the vet said there was a very very very very small chance he would be infertile for life.

so ivr chosen plan b which is 9 days of anti inflamatories .... end of consult

should there have been more tests to find out WHY his prostate is slightly enlarged ?? it look for infection or cancer? he didnt seem overly concerned said slightly large etc and said options and that was it.

thanks in advance

I only know about prostate cancer in human males. Nasty stuff.

And if he's got prostate cancer you probably don't want to be breeding with him. He may pass that tendency on to the puppies.

With humans - there is something called the PSA blood test - it needs to be done annually from about age 40 or so, so that the GP has a base line of what's normal for that man. And then if it changes - further investigation can be done. Further investigation may involve xrays, biopsy, ultrasound, and a digital exam (the finger).

I don't know what the process is with dogs. Hopefully someone else can help.

One of the problems with "further investigation" or even doing the PSA tests - is that abnormalities can end up being investigated or treated when they wouldn't ever have become a malignant cancer or caused any discomfort or bad symptoms. Ie you get freaked out for nothing.

The vet didnt seem overly concerned just said slightly enlarged, i guess maybe there was nothing suspicious for him to think to look further ?? ie irregular shape feel etc..... i dont know my poor boy is in pain i just wish the medication would work quicker bring on the next few days when its hopefully relieving him

also if he has prostate cancer the option would be desexing not breeding

Edited by steppenwolfstaffords

should there have been more tests to find out WHY his prostate is slightly enlarged ?? it look for infection or cancer? he didnt seem overly concerned said slightly large etc and said options and that was it.

I'm not a vet, so only speaking from my experience with my own dogs. My vet has said that a slightly enlarged prostate is not uncommon in entire dogs over a certain age, maybe 5-6 years old and by 8 she says nearly all have enlarged prostates. It could be Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) Apart from size my vet checks that the prostate feels uniform and as long at it feels 'normal' and there are no other symptoms we haven't done further tests. Prostate cancer is rare, even more so in entrire dogs. Enlarged prostates in desexed dogs concern her a lot more and always get further investigation.

My boys that have had enlarged prostate issues have had temporary chemical castration with either Tardac or Suprelorin.

I'd suggest contacting your vet to answer your questions, specific to your dog though.

Is he an older dog? It seems to be part of aging.

I have had this a couple of times and most times the vet recommends desexing as a long term solution as the injection is only a temporary cure that lasts around 12 weeks I think. It may respond well to antibiotics and be able to be managed but that wasn't the case for me. With Grayson we did end up giving him the injection to give myself a bit more time and he had a successful mating 6mths later and then was desexed but my other lad was having toileting issues so was immediately desexed.

I'm not a vet, so only speaking from my experience with my own dogs. My vet has said that a slightly enlarged prostate is not uncommon in entire dogs over a certain age, maybe 5-6 years old and by 8 she says nearly all have enlarged prostates. It could be Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) Apart from size my vet checks that the prostate feels uniform and as long at it feels 'normal' and there are no other symptoms we haven't done further tests. Prostate cancer is rare, even more so in entrire dogs. Enlarged prostates in desexed dogs concern her a lot more and always get further investigation.

My boys that have had enlarged prostate issues have had temporary chemical castration with either Tardac or Suprelorin.

I'd suggest contacting your vet to answer your questions, specific to your dog though.

Thank you this has actually relieved me of my worry ALOT i guess cos he is in so much pain it worries me and ive never had a dog with it before. I opted out of the injection cos he is co owned and they said there was a slim chance of being infertile for ever.... if hes not better with in the 9 days of the medication they gave me i wont hesitate to get the injection but i wanted to get him on treatment right away. (tardac is what her suggested)

thanks again

Is he an older dog? It seems to be part of aging.

I have had this a couple of times and most times the vet recommends desexing as a long term solution as the injection is only a temporary cure that lasts around 12 weeks I think. It may respond well to antibiotics and be able to be managed but that wasn't the case for me. With Grayson we did end up giving him the injection to give myself a bit more time and he had a successful mating 6mths later and then was desexed but my other lad was having toileting issues so was immediately desexed.

no hes only 3 2/2 .. i have posted in health also and someone has told me its quite common had a few dogs with it and if the prostate is just enlarged but feles normal no need for any other tests or concern .. which im pretty releived by ..

thank you for your reply :)

i told the vet he was in pain etc he saw the way he was reacting and i asked about pain killers as he said what he wa giving him was pain killer/antiinfmalatory

he holds his back leg up it must relieve pressure ??? and he sooks etc ... he only had his first tablet last night and it sys it takes 2-3 days to show any effect.

thanks again for your help

Have you discussed this with the co owner ?

I would be going to a repo vet for a second opinion

i have told the co owner if the meds hes given dont work i will be using the injection but we havent discussed it and i will discuss in more details before its done if needed ..also if the meds done work ill be going to my repro vet