For Those Who Love Dog Sledding

Kirislin

have a look at these photos. :D

and for the warmer months. I'd imagined doing something like this before I realised it was an actual sport. Now I'd have to do it with a few aged whippets and an IG. I loved the chariot teams. Some looked very greyhoundy to me. Life after track racing for them perhaps. It would be a scary ride attached to a team of 6 or 7 excited and fit greyhounds. :eek:

Edited by Kirislin

My sister did the dry sledding a couple of times with her husky/shep mix. Oh I wish I was a photographer because the pics in the forest as the sun rises on a cold winter morning and the breath of the excited dogs misting the air was just magic. That and the sounds of the dogs impatiently waiting for a turn is what I remember most. You've got to be pretty fit for it (rules me out) as you do have to help the dogs out at times, and of course you need to steer in forest terrain or risk smacking your bike into a tree!

Said 7.5km on the clip, seemed longer, went on forever. Demoralised a few skiers - I'd have been one of them.

I missed where it said the distance. I noticed the path seemed to be used by skiers at the same time. I would have thought they'd have a dedicated track for the dog racing but it didn't look like that did it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this is OT...but a friend of mine (in VIC) who bred sibes in the past has taken back a record breaking sledder (in his youth) as his NSW master has suffered a series of strokes and ill-health. My friend is now elderly and cannot give this male sibe (aged about 7) the stimulation he is used to as a sledder and he is not happy. Neither of us know a great deal about sledding but we wondered if he would be an asset to sledding people in training younger dogs?

Not sure what his endurance would be like these days but his health is just fine. Also, to be honest, in the very slim chance that his former master ever leaves a hospital/rehab situation and can cope with a dog, he will be going back there.

So I'm guessing that we are looking for a temporary (with a view to maybe permanent) sort of private foster home where his sledding experience could be used? We have no idea where to start looking.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is OT...but a friend of mine (in VIC) who bred sibes in the past has taken back a record breaking sledder (in his youth) as his NSW master has suffered a series of strokes and ill-health. My friend is now elderly and cannot give this male sibe (aged about 7) the stimulation he is used to as a sledder and he is not happy. Neither of us know a great deal about sledding but we wondered if he would be an asset to sledding people in training younger dogs?

Not sure what his endurance would be like these days but his health is just fine. Also, to be honest, in the very slim chance that his former master ever leaves a hospital/rehab situation and can cope with a dog, he will be going back there.

So I'm guessing that we are looking for a temporary (with a view to maybe permanent) sort of private foster home where his sledding experience could be used? We have no idea where to start looking.

Any ideas?

Ruralpug

Probably your best option would be to contact the Victorian Club

nvsdc.org.au and ask them, chances are they might know the old owner and also know who might be able to take on the dog.

. . .

Any ideas?

Ruralpug

Probably your best option would be to contact the Victorian Club

nvsdc.org.au and ask them, chances are they might know the old owner and also know who might be able to take on the dog.

Thank you so much!!! smile.gif