Sandpit For Dogs

Sheridan

I want to build a sandpit for my puppies. I have an 8 metre long disused garden bed that I'm going to put a couple of clamshell pools in filled with water. In the middle I want to have a sandpit for digging. Not sure what type of sand to use. I've seen coloured sand at Bunnings that claims to be non-toxic but non-toxic for people isn't necessarily non-toxic for dogs. I've not seen beach sand for sale anywhere.

We use sand that is used in kindergartens and have found it terrific. We purchased it from the local garden supply.

We have a designated clam shell for our sandpit which means it can be packed away, only brought out for a new puppy. We have drilled holes in the bottom of it to drain away excess water.

avoid sand for mortar/bricks ie brickies sand - that tends to go hard. No good for adding drainage to soil... Or for sand pits.

Another substance that sort of looks like sand - depending how fine they grind it - you don't want - is dolomite.

River sand or coarse washed river sand (what you use to add drainage to soil) is what you'd want for sand pit.

And don't ask the guy running the digger. He told me the wrong thing.

Or you could get sandy loam - which is great for gardens, as is top dressing soil... and that way when it gets dug out of the sand pit - it's good for the garden.

And don't forget to cover when not in use to prevent cats toilet.

I saw one shell pool sand pit inside a 3 man dome tent - which provided shade and could be zipped up to keep critters out... that might work.

You want River Sand... not too fine or it will get into everything... go to the local garden supply and check out the different sands. river sand is usually white or just off white, is clean to handle and when wet can compact a little but fall apart when dry. Just like you get at the beach.

Avoid sands that seem very yellow as these are builders sand and having a clay content... they are used for packing sands.....