Good Dry Food For Very Allergic Dog?

Fevah

Hi there, haven't been here for a while but a friend in Alaska is having trouble with her beautiful 1 year old Ibizan Hound 'Panic' who has an amazing amount of food allergies.

At the moment she is saving up for an allergy test but in the meantime she is looking for kibble that would alleviate his issues.

A little extra information;

Chicken, wild boar, beef, grains all give him the runs. No binding him up, pumpkin doesn't work, we know it's not a gut bacteria issue as we have tried Endosorb and yogurt to try and get him on track. Right now he is on a fish based food but it includes white potatoes. Poop is great, but now he is getting chronic yeasty ear infections that return a few weeks after medication is finished. His coat is dull and flakey, he is so itchy that if he isn't stopped he will actually scratch so hard he bleeds. At night he licks and chews his feet. He also has some light hair loss which we have tried to treat with medicated shampoo. I have started him on coconut oil and his hair is better now and not as thin but still pretty flakey and dull looking. Obviously does best on fish so we will aim to keep that protein as to not aggregate his poop issues. Obviously tossing out white potatoes because that's what we suspect he is having the reaction to. We are looking for limited ingredient so there isn't a ton of random things in there because that just raises the chances SOMETHING in there will cause a reaction. We are avoiding coconut oil because it's pro-inflammatory. We are avoiding flax seed because while it's great for skin and hair in humans the vet has seen a ton of evidence of it have the opposite effect and aggravating allergy issues in dogs. Ideally the "other" in the food besides the meat would be a legume/lentils/something along those lines. Also avoiding CANOLA oil.

She informs me that at the moment he is on Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream formula and although it firmed up his stool (because potatoes) he is still very itchy.

The next switch she is trying is Pioneer Naturals Grain-Free Whitefish Dry Dog Food. Gradual switch of course.

Any ideas?

that seems to be a yeasty dog - I would avoid all carbs and sugar (including potatoes) that would feed the yeast.

ETA:...google 'Yeast Starvation Food Recipes for dogs', your friend might have to rely on homemade food, at least till the dog is symptoms free.

Edited by Willem

Given that your friend is in Alaska, its hard to suggest a food - but probably one of the US brands will be the best bet.

For a dog with this many allergies, she's probably going to have to feed a unique protein and filler. I'd be very tempted to suggest she try a raw diet.

This link gives a good run down of some of the better US brands and identifies where a brand does a food suitable for a dog with food allergies.

There are also vet only sold foods specifically for this issue.

it is not necessarily a food allergy - in the quote the OP mentions the chronical yeast ear infection, very likely that the itchy paws (and other body parts) are also infected (coat is dull and flakey...)...that all points to a severe yeast infection which can be caused by an unbalanced immun system, but it is not necessarily a food allergy.

However, the first 'line of defense' wrt yeast infection is to stop feeding anything that would feed the yeast, hence no carbs & sugar. All the better (normal) kibble has some form of fruit or potatoes, rice etc., so it it's also not suitable. I saw some 'medical' dry food, but it is pretty expensive and still needs to be checked for carbs and sugar (fruits).

Raw diet is an option (and I assume much cheaper than all this special medical dry foods), all this yeast starvation diets are somehow raw diets.

ETA http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx...link lists also ways to disinfect the yeasty areas...

Edited by Willem

Maybe Ziwipeak?

Edit: http://www.ziwipeak.com/air-dried-dog-food-ziwipeak-daily-dog-air-dried-cuisine/

Also in my haze I didn't see she was in Alaska - I thought the dogs name was Alaska. LOL. I (now) think Ziwi would probably be too expensive to try. But who knows.

...looks pretty good, but still has 10% carbohydrates, so I wouldn't use it as long as the yeast infection is an issue, however, it might be an option for later.

ETA:...seems to be also a good alternative for treats...and they even sell it in our local pet shop...I might give it a go.

Edited by Willem

it is not necessarily a food allergy - in the quote the OP mentions the chronical yeast ear infection, very likely that the itchy paws (and other body parts) are also infected (coat is dull and flakey...)...that all points to a severe yeast infection which can be caused by an unbalanced immun system, but it is not necessarily a food allergy. However, the first 'line of defense' wrt yeast infection is to stop feeding anything that would feed the yeast, hence no carbs & sugar. All the better (normal) kibble has some form of fruit or potatoes, rice etc., so it it's also not suitable. I saw some 'medical' dry food, but it is pretty expensive and still needs to be checked for carbs and sugar (fruits).Raw diet is an option (and I assume much cheaper than all this special medical dry foods), all this yeast starvation diets are somehow raw diets.ETA http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx...link lists also ways to disinfect the yeasty areas...

Given that Panic apparently is allergic/sensitive to beef and chicken (and by default perhaps other poultry?) what would you substitute for the protein/meat aspect in a raw food diet?

it is not necessarily a food allergy - in the quote the OP mentions the chronical yeast ear infection, very likely that the itchy paws (and other body parts) are also infected (coat is dull and flakey...)...that all points to a severe yeast infection which can be caused by an unbalanced immun system, but it is not necessarily a food allergy. However, the first 'line of defense' wrt yeast infection is to stop feeding anything that would feed the yeast, hence no carbs & sugar. All the better (normal) kibble has some form of fruit or potatoes, rice etc., so it it's also not suitable. I saw some 'medical' dry food, but it is pretty expensive and still needs to be checked for carbs and sugar (fruits).Raw diet is an option (and I assume much cheaper than all this special medical dry foods), all this yeast starvation diets are somehow raw diets.ETA http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx...link lists also ways to disinfect the yeasty areas...

Given that Panic apparently is allergic/sensitive to beef and chicken (and by default perhaps other poultry?) what would you substitute for the protein/meat aspect in a raw food diet?

In Alaska? Salmon or some sort of venison.

was the dog fed only with beef or chicken or have there been some 'supplements' added when he showed allergic reactions?...and what was the allergic reaction? ...itchiness?....or digestion problems?

Feeding dairy products (including yogurt) in addition might also cause heaps of problems if the dog is lactose intolerant (which is common for dogs once they don't rely on mother milk anymore).

If I would feed my dog pure beef (or chicken....turkey....)and would let her eat as much as she wants she would get very likely a running stool or constipation so I have to be careful regards how much I feed.

However, if Panic is really allergic to beef and / or chicken, fish and eggs are a good protein source...I guess you could also get reindeer meet in Alaska you could try?

My dog has all the systems of being very allergic. However her 'allergy' issues are caused by her liver problem. I wasted heaps of time with different diets that just weren't going to fix her. So if the dog hasn't had full bloods done I would suggest getting that done to make sure nothing else is going on.

Raw isn't realistic for us right now only due to the fact it's hard to get your hands on fresh fish for a decent price with how city ish my area is. I don't live near any of the big fishing plants so my price of salmon is about the same as anywhere else.
Yeah and it's not just a year infection itself, the vet has already ruled this is out and I have dealt with a basic yeast infection before with Aija. She had yeast stains in her paws, mouth creases, and lady bits. We gave her probiotic and raw organic apple cider vinegar for a few weeks and whooped it in the butt and now she's yeast free. His yeast has been cleared before but rushed right back after about 2 weeks and being kept on this same food. He has no yeast stains and none in his paws, it's presenting itself in his ears and then the itchiness and stuff just follows suit

So yeah hopefully this clears things up a little more. Aija is her other beautiful dog :)

Edited by Fevah

Maybe one of the FROMM formulas? or Acana?

I have some friends overseas who now feed both of these to their dogs and are doing well on it.

Possibly look into turmeric golden paste too- anti inflammatory.

I give it to henry for his arthritis, but its helped with his skin too!

Food allergy does make a good skin environment for yeast and infections; but ear infections or hot thickened skin visible from the outer ear, chewing at the feet until raw and pawing/scratching around the mouth are all symptoms of food allergy. + thickening or reddening at the corner of the mouth.

Chicken, wild boar, beef, grains all give him the runs. No binding him up, pumpkin doesn't work, we know it's not a gut bacteria issue as we have tried Endosorb and yogurt to try and get him on track. Right now he is on a fish based food but it includes white potatoes. Poop is great, but now he is getting chronic yeasty ear infections that return a few weeks after medication is finished. His coat is dull and flakey, he is so itchy that if he isn't stopped he will actually scratch so hard he bleeds. At night he licks and chews his feet. He also has some light hair loss which we have tried to treat with medicated shampoo. I have started him on coconut oil and his hair is better now and not as thin but still pretty flakey and dull looking. Obviously does best on fish so we will aim to keep that protein as to not aggregate his poop issues. Obviously tossing out white potatoes because that's what we suspect he is having the reaction to. We are looking for limited ingredient so there isn't a ton of random things in there because that just raises the chances SOMETHING in there will cause a reaction. We are avoiding coconut oil because it's pro-inflammatory. We are avoiding flax seed because while it's great for skin and hair in humans the vet has seen a ton of evidence of it have the opposite effect and aggravating allergy issues in dogs. Ideally the "other" in the food besides the meat would be a legume/lentils/something along those lines. Also avoiding CANOLA oil.

I wouldn't rule out that no response to Endosorb (which sounds like interesting stuff) means he has no bacterial issues but digestive drama is hand in hand with food allergy.

Exclusion diets take months to do. Like at least 3 to 6 months on a two ingredient meal instead of swapping month to month. Common allergens that need to be excluded from either raw or dry is anything to do with poultry. That includes meal and oil fillers in dry. Rabbit or goat could be worth a go but it sounds like fish is a good lead to run with. :)

Try adding 'cooling' fruit and veg like cucumber, lettuce etc as per the chinese yin yan. Chinese herbs can help although I've not successfully used them here because none of these tiny dogs will go near funky smelling things. Ask vet about antihistamines.

I've had one dog we went through years of what your friend's dog is going through including all the blood tests, washes and prescriptions, he was finally started on oral cyclosporine and hasn't looked back. It's a serious drug for suppression of the immune response and never the first line of defence but I truly wish he'd had it years before. He's not scratching or having shocking diarrhoea, no pooping blood, nothing.

You'll have to google; I believe there's something to do with B1 deficiency and fish but can't remember exactly. However if you're looking for dry food it's not going to be the same concern.

Another google homework; Golden Paste made with tumeric for inflammation etc. You'll need to find the best recipe to activate the cucurmin as well as making it palatable to your dog.

(edit; is frozen fish available?)

Edited by Powerlegs

This does NOT sound like JUST a food allergy. I would suggest a talk to a veterinary dermatologist ASAP rather than buying more food and products. This dog needs a proper diagnosis to be able to get better rather than just trying to plug the symptoms.

As she is in Alaska... she should look up Wendy Volhard.... they have a raw diet muesli very similar to the VAN we have in Australia.....

Wendy Volhard has her own website and she can have bloods done to ensure that the diet is adjusted to suit.... loads of information out there from one of the major experts.

I think they are saving up for allergy testing. Is that what you mean by seeing a dermatologist or should they be looking at something else?

Just starting the ball rolling with appropriate medication to modulate the immune system so it doesn't go out of control with food will help the dog feel amazing right now.

Thanks for the responses thus far. Friend-o also wishes to mention the following;

Panic's veterinarian brings her wolf hound to my work for play time so I got to chat with her more about his allergies and such. She's going to prescribe him an allergy med to stop his itching while we go through the food switch cause the poor thing is just nomming his paws to death, and she agreed with me on the new food choice and told me to email her in a few weeks after the food switch and touch base about any progress. I trust his vet absolutely. He's young (almost 1 year old) and I'm on top of figuring it out as quickly as I can. He is on ear meds and as I said, is having an allergy prescription called in on Monday. We (the vet and I) are trying our hardest to figure this out l before loading him on meds. I'd rather feed him what his body likes and work with that then feed him something his body would reject if he wasn't on meds. We had an in depth discussion about immune suppressants and all that.

In response to has he had bloods done;

Not for this, he had a very basic blood panel done back in July when he had that partial intestinal blockage and nothing was askew at that point.

Oh and the next food switch will be Orijen Six Fish Dog.