Child Mauled By Dog In Woori Yallock Vic

*kirty*

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/child-mauled-rushed-to-hospital-after-dog-attack-in-melbournes-east-20160215-gmueop.html

By LIAM MANNIX

A dog has mauled a young child on the face in Melbourne's outer east.

Paramedics were called to a suburban house in Woori Yallock about just before noon on Monday with reports the child had been attacked.

When the arrived they found the youngster with wounds to his face and head.

He's been rushed to the Royal Children's Hospital in a stable condition. The child sustained serious facial wounds, and may need plastic surgery, Channel 7 reported.

The dog, an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier, belonged to a family friend who was visiting the Woori Yallock property.

Yarra Ranges Council say it impounded the dog at the request of the owner, who is believed to be a friend of the toddler's family.

The adults are deffinetly to blame . Some people put are ridiculous large amount of faith in children and dogs that they will behave appropriately .

Now we don't know all the details , but if I was ever to take any if my dogs to a friends house with children present they would be on a tight lead under constant supervision . Even if previously they had been good with children .

You never know what triggers will be that will make a dog behave in a aggressive manner . It might not even be the child's behaviour , it might be due to misdirected aggression due to another factor . A dog on heat next door . Loud noises from another part of the house . Other dogs on the property . Some other factors that cause an anxious reaction .

If the child might br inexperienced or never taught by adults how to acts atound dogs . That all dogs don't like hugs . Or not to jump on their back .

Poor child , poor dog .

Crap adults .

:( another dog failed by its owners, and a child failed by the adults.

What are the adults supposed to do? Keep the child on a lead or in a crate while the dog is visiting?

The adults are supposed to closely supervise ANY young child with ANY dog, but especially if the dog is a visiting dog and even more especially if the child has not been trained to understand dog warning signals. If they are not able to supervise closely the dog and child should be separated.

I would give odds that the dog gave many warnings before biting, but the adults either weren't paying attention or didn't understand what was happening. Another tragedy with a child and a dog both suffering the consequences of adults failing in their duty of care.

It seems that my post is being misinterpreted. I was being a little facetious. Who keeps a child on a lead or in a crate? What I am saying is that it is easier for the owner of a dog to supervise it that it is for the parents to supervise their children. Ideal parents know all about the dangers of leaving dogs (especially strange dogs) with children, but not all parents are ideal. Once upon a time, not that long ago, I did not know and I think I was a good, probably better than average, parent. I think dog owners should know not to leave their dog, which they would have chosen to own and would have accepted the responsibility that comes with owning that dog, with children they do not know. I also think the dog owner is more answerable because it is possible to restrain a dog.

edited for clarity

Edited by sarspididious

Staffy breeds and children alike are placed in danger because of the 'Nanny Dog' myth. :( Labs too. Benefit of the doubt would be benign ignorance rather than deliberately ignoring the warnings.

You only need to watch youtube; there's hundreds of clips of dogs being soooo cute with the little baby climbing all over it; when it's obvious (knowing the signals) that the freaked out dog is doing it's very best to keep it's shit together.

Staffy breeds and children alike are placed in danger because of the 'Nanny Dog' myth. :( Labs too. Benefit of the doubt would be benign ignorance rather than deliberately ignoring the warnings.

You only need to watch youtube; there's hundreds of clips of dogs being soooo cute with the little baby climbing all over it; when it's obvious (knowing the signals) that the freaked out dog is doing it's very best to keep it's shit together.

Agree with the nanny myth reference. If I had a dollar for the number of times I have heard that staffies are good with kids so it's okay to leave them together, I would have enough money to buy those Ikea dining chairs I have my eyes on.

Most people do not understand dog body language. They think that a dog licking its lips wants to kiss someone and a dog yawning is doing so because it is tired, when both are signs of anxiety.

Edited by sarspididious