Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show – In Pictures

Boronia

I just think there are better ways to ask what breed a dog is. I mean if I came across a Xolo I wouldn't instantly say OMG what happened to his hair did it all get shaved off because he was matted & not cared for??????

That's seriously how it came across - they were all sympathetic/worried for my dog who is clearly very well loved (ok so maybe we had stopped in Caiguna on our way across Australia for dinner a couple of days earlier and he'd gotten a bit dirty on the fresh bitumen but still) and it just rubbed me up the wrong way.

A barrage of questions without waiting for answers isn't very polite - and jumping to "rescue" after I'd said he was from a breeder was just confusing because she clearly chose not to listen when I said we got him from his breeder at 8 weeks old.

A barrage of questions is never polite and will leave us all a bit disorientated and baffled. I don't think that is confined to anyone type of dog owner. Sounds like they were just the usual over enthusiastic air headed types who don't listen ;p did they keep trying to pat him too? I find that very annoying.

My meaning behind number 2 and in context of the prior comments on why people are seeing as snobby: that seeing it as an accusation for someone to ask if your "well loved dog" is a rescue and being offenced by this question - can come across as snobby. Because of the wording used.

It may be that is how you instinctively felt, but then I think it's important to consider how you (the general, wider you) express yourself. Because if everyone goes around wording things like this - well, the side effect is that we are all going to come across as snobby and further push people away.

If my concerns is making sense? I'm using your post more as an example than pointing fingers.

I think there is "snobbery" from some on all sides, and direct quotes that i have experienced:

- "oh god no, he's not a poodle. He's a labradoodle!"

- "Oh no, my dog was rescued. I would never buy from a breeder who is just using dogs for profit."

- "My dog is a purebred xyx, his parents were champions."

Or there was the time i was at a pet shop and said to my mother who was next to me that the fluffy white pups in the window will be huge and that the maremma was a sheep dog. And got very rudely from someone who overheard behind me "NO. A Maremma is a guarding dog. They guard the sheep, don't herd them!" I was like "uh, thanks.."

So it comes a bit from everywhere.

I do wish shows were a little less stylised and also that dogs of the correct weight could be shown without being told they need to be fatter etc.

there are many things wrong with the purebred dog world.

A barrage of questions is never polite and will leave us all a bit disorientated and baffled. I don't think that is confined to anyone type of dog owner. Sounds like they were just the usual over enthusiastic air headed types who don't listen ;p did they keep trying to pat him too? I find that very annoying.

My meaning behind number 2 and in context of the prior comments on why people are seeing as snobby: that seeing it as an accusation for someone to ask if your "well loved dog" is a rescue and being offenced by this question - can come across as snobby. Because of the wording used.

It may be that is how you instinctively felt, but then I think it's important to consider how you (the general, wider you) express yourself. Because if everyone goes around wording things like this - well, the side effect is that we are all going to come across as snobby and further push people away.

If my concerns is making sense? I'm using your post more as an example than pointing fingers.

Yeah righto, I see what you're getting at. Sorry, last night I was in a bit of a "hell to the wind!!" mood (and had had a few glasses of wine embarrass.gif ) so I get a bit silly.

Haha! Yes they kept trying to pat him while I was trying to calm him down (he was 8 months old at the time and had been confined to a car for a lot of the trip).

I don't mean to say that rescue dogs are less loved (I can see how it seems like that), it's more that suggesting he must be a rescue (motley coat & no tail I guess?) when in my mind he couldn't possibly ever be a rescue because he was excitedly awaited from his very conception (I assume the breeder would be excited about every single puppy!).

I get so nervous about going to places with my dogs because I always get asked so many questions about them. I feel like I could say less about them but I probably end up saying more than they wanted to know...when I say that they're Australian Shepherds, then have to say it's actually an American herding breed (because it's usually "Oh, like German Shepherds?), then I have to say but mine don't actually herd laugh.gif they're bred to be show dogs and then I get a funny look like "Ooh la-di-dah your dogs are show dogs" embarrass.gif When all I literally mean to say is that mine are basically useless except for looking pretty because I don't know how to teach them to herd biggrin.gif

OMG Denali embarrass.gif I've said something along those lines of your third dot point embarrass.gif more to close friends than complete strangers and I'm pretty sure it was in context to a conversation about dogs & breeding...