Dislocated Toe Or A Sprain?

Hi

This may seem like a silly question but something odd happened in the park this evening.

My furboy was running after the ball and came to a twisting halt and limped badly back to me.

I thought that he had done something bad to his back leg as he was jogging back with the leg lifted.

He has done this a few times over the years.

I was shocked to see the front foot though causing him a problem as well.

It appeared the outside toe was twisted/bent out or dislocated.

Out of instinct (I don't know what i was thinking), I reached down and clicked it back into position without any sense of

pain from my boy. He was keep to go play again but I thought better and put his lead back on and brought him home.

I have to work tomorrow but can take him to the vet Saturday if needed. I am keeping him contained inside the room for now to make sure he rests.

I am curious to find out whether this sounds like a dislocation or simply a sprain?

He is a very active boy and has on many times torn his dew claw away when playing.

Calling the vet for information isn't an option at the moment as they always insist that I bring him in.

He is all good for the moment and will be monitored.

Cheers :)

Edited by soothie

sounds like a dislocation and now that you have put it back into place I would just keep him a little restricted and keep an eye on him. But that was the front foot so what is going on with the back?

Back leg apears all good now. He does pull up funny on the back leg sometimes after a hard run at the ball.

He doesn't know how to go at half pace. It's all full on for him. JR x Staffy

I will try to keep him away from running for the next few days. Fingers crossed all will be good.

He is a super active boy. It will be very difficult to keep him at walking pace for a few days.

Hi soothie - good advice above. As someone who competes in retrieving trials I NEVER throw balls for my dogs - that twisting and turning action as they pick up the ball is very unnatural and can cause injuries. My dogs are super active too - the more mental stimulation I give them the better. So a sit, throw toy, toy stops, fetch would be my approach amongst all the other stuff I do - but definitely no chasing balls until you get that rear leg checked out properly would be my recommendation.

I think we've come out very lucky with this one. He's been fine since the event but I took him to the vet this morning.

All good, nothing wrong with the knee cap or ligaments. May have just done a twist/sprain.

The front foot toe is all good too but abit sore and swollen. Fortunately, not his weight bearing toe.

The vet indicated it was a dislocation and didn't say I did the wrong thing putting it back in so I suppose what I did was fine.

A week of short walks on a leash has been prescribed so hopefully by next weekend, we will be roaming the parks again.

Thanks for the advice. :)