Doggy Door Update

westiemum

Skip thank you but I'm in Adelaide - and yes I agree a whole door with a doggy door is too fiddly to get to fit.

Yes I have a friend who can install a dog door. I'll keep looking for a second hand one I think.smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I’m so slow :(. Reading your last post made me remember that I recently had the glass in the window where I had Gussy Cat’s door flap replaced.

I still have the glass with door intact down the back. I think it might be too small for your Westies, but I will measure it tomorrow. It is amazing what dogs will get through. One of my flosters from several years back (Caramel, a German Spitz) went through it so he could explore the neighbourhood :eek: :eek: It entailed his jumping up on the bed, the bedside table, the window ledge and through the flap. I wouldn’t have believed it except I saw the paw prints!!

I’ll let you know. It might be worth the postage .... just the door not the window as well :D :D :D

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Thanks DD - the trick will be if its big enough for my old girl. She's a big westie!!

Yes and I think it depends on the physical make up of a dog. Some dogs are very “loose” and might look big, but they can fit through small places. LOL at the GS Boronia. Determined or what :laugh: :laugh:

I had a cavalier sized one that Amber, a decent sized vizsla could get through. It was amazing watching her fit herself through it :laugh:

Vislas can be long and rangy and I think that is what makes a difference when getting through small places.

WM the width of the gap in the cat flap is between 18 and 19 cm. Probably too small for a solid little munchkin like Sarah. I also think dogs with health problems are less likely to extend themselves when they know a bark will bring their slave running :D :D . However, if you are interested, I’d be happy to see how much it would cost to post - not much, I imagine.

I use a hook and eye on my kitchen doot that leads to the rest of the house. Has been very effective for many years.

Hook and eye? confused.gif

Yes made of metal. I have the eye part (circle) screwed into the door frame. The hook is attached to the door. When door is closed hook goes into the eye. Meaning door can not be opened easily. A determined person could force door open but that would be the case with a lot of locks

We considered something like this - and I think the problems come with securing the house while away? A dog door provides some security (obviously a skinny person can go through it). But the original post is proposing to allow the dog in and out of the house while they are at work, I think?

We rent, and didn't come up with a suitable solution. The best solution was for sliding doors (entire panels you can shut into them vertically). Without modifying the existing door, it is a tough one.

Possibly, a variation on the eye/hook thing that can be locked?