Advantix / Frontline / Advantage Differences

I posted recently that we had had feedback from our Vet that at the moment the current formulation of Frontline Plus was not working for fleas. I think the manufacturers had advised that they were looking at the problem. Something to do with the two active ingredients for the ticks and the fleas not being compatible, but I heard that from my vet, not the manufacturer. The vet recommended that we change to Advantix if we wanted a similar coverage, including Ticks (we live in a high tick area).

We would not have known except that Ted had an outbreak when we admitted him for his desexing - he seems to pick them up when Nina doesn't. Don't know why! So far so good.

Advantix is available from Vets. Obviously you'll probably pay the premium price at your vet though, so online is a great option, but it isn't yet available from all online pet supply stores.

Hi Brian_Newcastle,

Flea bite dermatitis is caused by the fleas 'saliva'. When the flea bites the dog the 'saliva' is injected into the dog and it causes a reaction with the skin. Always keep in mind that your dog does not have to have fleas on him to be reacting.

With products such as all those mentioned, the flea has to bite the dog to die as far as I understand it.... and so the allergy may take a little more time to clear.

Always treat the surrounding areas and his environment also. Remeber it takes only one flea to jump on him, bite him, and then jump back off to cause a reaction. Wash his bedding regularly in an appropriate flea rinse and hang them in the sun to dry, vacuum you carpets regualarly and treat indoors and outdoors with pesticides suitable for fleas.

I have just tried advantix for the first time this week. I find that the hair around the application site has that oily look for longer than when i used frontline. with frontline the oily look lasted about a day, but with advantix it only became obvious on the second day & is still there on the third day. Anybody else notice this?