Advantix / Frontline / Advantage Differences

I have a two year old female Jack Russell Terrier. According to the vet she has dermatitis caused by flea's. I've just started applying Advantix to her and was wondering what the differences were between Advantix/Frontline/Advantage?

Another couple of questions I had were...

I've put it between her shoulder blades as best as I could, does she have to be heaps active for it to spread to the rest of her skin?

With washing/swimming, will this lower the effectiveness of the product?

Off topic questions.....

I've also got her vaccinated, but was unsure if she had been vaccinated in the past. Will getting vaccinated twice cause any problems?

I've given her a 3-monthly tablet for gut worms, and am soon going to get her tested for heartworm after we've cleared up her dermatitis (or should I get this done now?)

Is there anything else I should be doing 4 her?

Hi Brian Newcastle

Not sure what the differences are. I use frontline with my two. Good questions. I apply mine when I know my dogs wont be in contact with water ie a Monday.

Your vet will let you know re vaccination.

I would be inclined to do a heartworm test. I am not sure re dermatitis does your dog require weekly injections for dermadex. If this is the case then go with what your vet suggests.

Good on you for caring I hope it all goes well.

Ness

hi Brian,

I have heard frommany ppeople including vets that FRONTLINE is not working on fleas currently.

i use revolution which kills adult fleas and their eggs too. my dog was palyign with a dog with fleas and none got on her so its working.

We have a tibbie with a flea allergy. I've found that Advantage works best against fleas.

I also use a trick that I got from the directions for use on the big dogs where you put one tube on, but in 3 spots.

So, for my small tibbie, I cut the hair right back to the skin (about size 50 cent piece) between her shoulders AND also between her hips....& I put half a tube on each. Making it go on 2 spots.

Tibbies have long hair so I brush her hair over the bald spots.

Advocate is an all in one product as well ;) But i would not recommend using it until your dog has had the heartworm test and is given the all clear.

As to the heartworm test...get it done as soon as you can arrange it then you can start your dog on heartworm medication.

I use Advantage as it is better with Flea Dermitis. Also try looking at diet. I find that Advance Turkey and Rice dry Food and a BARF diet helps. Sometimes a dog with Flea Allergy also is sensitve to additives etc in food.

Try Soap Free Shampoo for baths aswell

Goodluck Brian from Newcastle from Shar Pei Lover from Newcastle

• 4 weeks later...
Will paw paw ointment stimulate hair growth? Is paw paw ointment available from normal chemists?

Yes...PawPaw ointment is good for all sorts of things ;)

And yes it is available in chemists...and i've even seen it in my local Coles...look for a red tube or tub.

Aloe Vera straight from the plant will help as well.