6 Month Puppy Food Aggression

spice_1

spice - when you say you feed him his raw by hand - do you hand him one large piece of bone/meat , or do you feed him mouthful by mouthful? :)

I give my dogs their bones/meat all in one piece by hand - :)

I hazard to suggest that none of your dogs has resource guarding instincts

spice - when you say you feed him his raw by hand - do you hand him one large piece of bone/meat , or do you feed him mouthful by mouthful? :)

I give my dogs their bones/meat all in one piece by hand - :)

I hazard to suggest that none of your dogs has resource guarding instincts

to be honest - it's never crossed my mind - as I do that from when they're babies .They certainly get into the odd scrap between themselves over treasures occasionally ... and are all fed separately once adult .

Spice - just to clarify , I've been around dogs for over 50 yrs - and yes, still make mistakes , (one of them being taking things for granted ;)

take on board the advice posted for you - it comes with decades of experience from trainers, breeders and owners .Resource guarding can be a serious problem , and you are doing well seeking advice now :)

My young dog gets all of his food through training, which often means by hand as rewards, he is not a resource guarder though.

I think the picture changes for the dog when they're working for food because they are busy thinking how to earn the reinforcement. I too use a lot of food in training but when my dogs get a meal they are left to enjoy it in peace - not even the cats are allowed near them. I think hovering over dogs when they're eating causes more problems than it solves. I have had a resource guarding puppy - raw meaty bones only - quickly split him up from the litter at feeding (he was a piggy!) so he didn't feel pressured and then trained him to voluntarily bring me his chicken frame and be rewarded for doing so with minced chicken, then get his bone back. Never did I TAKE the bone away and it was only once a day (out of 4 meals) - fixed within 3 days of observing the issue and made his new owner aware of his propensity to resource guard. She has since done a super job with him.

Lets be upfront about this. Resource guarding has a genetic component. Some breeds are more prone to it than others.

Now we have a pup from two breeds that have different combinations of bite inhibition, bite threshold and protectiveness. The person who allowed this mating should be shot IMO. Dogs ain't dogs when it comes to these traits. These two breeds are worlds apart in those traits and what combination the pup has is anyone's guess.

But at any rate we have a pup raising concerns for its owner. What OUR dogs do is beside the point. We are dealing with THIS dog. THIS dog is worrying its owner.

If I was going to provide any internet advice to look at it would be Patricia McConnells

And I'd also suggest a personal visit from someone who is going to do better than suggest a spray bottle or that this is a dominance issue.

IF this pup escalates it won't be pretty.

Best it be sorted or at least managed ASAP.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Lets be upfront about this. Resource guarding has a genetic component. Some breeds are more prone to it than others.

Now we have a pup from two breeds that have different combinations of bite inhibition, bite threshold and protectiveness. The person who allowed this mating should be shot IMO. Dogs ain't dogs when it comes to these traits. These two breeds are worlds apart in those traits and what combination the pup has is anyone's guess.

But at any rate we have a pup raising concerns for its owner. What OUR dogs do is beside the point. We are dealing with THIS dog. THIS dog is worrying its owner.

If I was going to provide any internet advice to look at it would be Patricia McConnells

And I'd also suggest a personal visit from someone who is going to do better than suggest a spray bottle or that this is a dominance issue.

IF this pup escalates it won't be pretty.

Best it be sorted or at least managed ASAP.

x1