Paralyzed Doggie With Suspected Herniated Disks

Terrip36

Hello, we are in desperation to find answers about treatment for our doggie Baby who last thursday hurt her back and has suspected herniated disks. I am a single Mum on limited funds and have had to get a vetpay loan to pay the emergency costs and Baby is still with the vets they said she should stay there but the are letting her try walking etc when they toilet her and I am concerned this is doing more damage.

They seem to say its ok but cant tell us where her end point of recovery is and also if she ever will. Please please can you give us some advice we are beside ourselves with worry we couldn't afford the surgery.

Many thanks Terri

Without an MRI, you wont be able to make fully informed decisions about what to do/what is going on. They are expensive, so I guess if you're in a situation where funds are limited, all you can do is 'wait and see'. :(

I had a a Dog who went down in his back ,a dye run was done and surgery performed

It took near 9 months for him to walk again with constant physio,mum had an awesome boss ho allowed the dog to go to work due to having to toilet him etc .It was hard work and full time commitment until he passed.

We actually didn't authorise surgery but it was done.

Do we regret the after care no ,would I do it again never

Our biggest mistake not waiting ,do not be made to feel guilty or rushed,ask lots of questions and expect them to be answered in laymans terms and If need be take a nutrul friend to hear the good and bad

The reality is could spend $$$$$ for no outcome or a dog that needs a cart

Does he still have sensation (feeling) in his back legs? Is he still toileting on his own? If it's a low grade disc often cage rest is all that is needed, and if you can manage him at home, but recovery can be slow (months, as mentioned above). What breed is he?